Update for Media 9 Series

Steve

Update for Media 9 Series
I have Media Player 11 installed. Strting on September 10, 2008 I get a
Windows update for KB954156 - Media Series 9. This update keeps failing with
an error code
KB954156=0x8007F0F4. I cannot find any solution. Can anyone help me out with
this.

Dave

RE: Update for Media 9 Series
You are not alone. I have had the same problem since testerday with no
solution from MS

"Steve" wrote:

> I have Media Player 11 installed. Strting on September 10, 2008 I get a
> Windows update for KB954156 - Media Series 9. This update keeps failing with
> an error code
> KB954156=0x8007F0F4. I cannot find any solution. Can anyone help me out with
> this.

Robinb

Re: Update for Media 9 Series
hopefully MS will fix this-the problem is if you do not have windows media
encoder 9 in add/remove programs it will not install.
But MS should have something written in code so if you do not have this
encorder it doesn't ask you to do the update.

robin
> You are not alone. I have had the same problem since testerday with no
> solution from MS
>
> "Steve" wrote:
>
>> I have Media Player 11 installed. Strting on September 10, 2008 I get a
>> Windows update for KB954156 - Media Series 9. This update keeps failing
>> with
>> an error code
>> KB954156=0x8007F0F4. I cannot find any solution. Can anyone help me out
>> with
>> this.

ULguy

RE: Update for Media 9 Series
OK. I Am also having the same problem ( I too have WMP 11). Update will not
install. What puzzles me is that it was 1 of 6 critical updates that I
downloaded and installed on Sept. 9. This update (KB954156) was the only one
that failed. Even looking at the KB article says nothing in regards to WMP
11. Is this an update meant ONLY for WMP 9???? Anyway, by adding myself to
list someone may finally take notice. Come on MS folks... get with it!

P.S. Tried several times, reboots, etc. still fails. I also have been
diligent in regards to other updates (i.e SP3, etc.)
ULguy

"Dave" wrote:

> You are not alone. I have had the same problem since testerday with no
> solution from MS
>
> "Steve" wrote:
>
> > I have Media Player 11 installed. Strting on September 10, 2008 I get a
> > Windows update for KB954156 - Media Series 9. This update keeps failing with
> > an error code
> > KB954156=0x8007F0F4. I cannot find any solution. Can anyone help me out with
> > this.

AMM

RE: Update for Media 9 Series
Have the same problem with "Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156)"
also with Windows XP (KB954154) update. None will install !!!

"Dave" wrote:

> You are not alone. I have had the same problem since testerday with no
> solution from MS
>
> "Steve" wrote:
>
> > I have Media Player 11 installed. Strting on September 10, 2008 I get a
> > Windows update for KB954156 - Media Series 9. This update keeps failing with
> > an error code
> > KB954156=0x8007F0F4. I cannot find any solution. Can anyone help me out with
> > this.

Re: Update for Media 9 Series
It's a known issue. We understand that MS is working on a resolution.

========================

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB954156).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Steve wrote:
> I have Media Player 11 installed. Strting on September 10, 2008 I get a
> Windows update for KB954156 - Media Series 9. This update keeps failing
> with an error code
> KB954156=0x8007F0F4. I cannot find any solution. Can anyone help me out
> with
> this.

ULguy

RE: Update for Media 9 Series
OK folks, I have a solution. After reading prior articles regarding this
issue I found out the following : The Windows Media Encoder 9 series IS NOT
WMP 9. It is a different animal. It is most likely that installation failed
because you have an older version on the encoder (that was my situation and I
have WMP 11). I went to microsoft downloads and clicked on a links that led
me to a download of the "Encoder 9 Series". After installing the updated
version of the encoder, the critical update we were all having a problem with
installed successfully. Be advised that the installation of the "Windows
Media Encoder 9 Series" involves several steps and overwrites several files (
you'll see as you step along). There was info regarding this encoder that I
did not read (I just downloaded and installed it). This led me to wonder why
wasn't there an update somewhere along the line to upgrade the older encoder
to the "series 9 encoder"??? I'll post again if I notice any problems.
Finally, since I'm not an MS MVP, I don't know if this update was even
necessary if you are using the older encoder. I myself like to keep the
latest and greatest updates offered so I went with the flow. Because it was
security related I performs the step noted above. Hopes this will help some
of us resolve the update falure.
--
ULguy

"AMM" wrote:

> Have the same problem with "Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156)"
> also with Windows XP (KB954154) update. None will install !!!
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
> > You are not alone. I have had the same problem since testerday with no
> > solution from MS
> >
> > "Steve" wrote:
> >
> > > I have Media Player 11 installed. Strting on September 10, 2008 I get a
> > > Windows update for KB954156 - Media Series 9. This update keeps failing with
> > > an error code
> > > KB954156=0x8007F0F4. I cannot find any solution. Can anyone help me out with
> > > this.

Re: Update for Media 9 Series
> ...Windows Media Encoder 9 series IS NOT WMP 9.

What led you to believe it was?

ULguy wrote:
> OK folks, I have a solution. After reading prior articles regarding this
> issue I found out the following : The Windows Media Encoder 9 series IS
> NOT
> WMP 9. It is a different animal. It is most likely that installation
> failed
> because you have an older version on the encoder (that was my situation
> and
> I have WMP 11). I went to microsoft downloads and clicked on a links that
> led me to a download of the "Encoder 9 Series". After installing the
> updated
> version of the encoder, the critical update we were all having a problem
> with installed successfully. Be advised that the installation of the
> "Windows Media Encoder 9 Series" involves several steps and overwrites
> several files ( you'll see as you step along). There was info regarding
> this encoder that I did not read (I just downloaded and installed it).
> This
> led me to wonder why wasn't there an update somewhere along the line to
> upgrade the older encoder to the "series 9 encoder"??? I'll post again if
> I notice any problems. Finally, since I'm not an MS MVP, I don't know if
> this update was even necessary if you are using the older encoder. I
> myself
> like to keep the latest and greatest updates offered so I went with the
> flow. Because it was security related I performs the step noted above.
> Hopes this will help some of us resolve the update falure.
>
>> Have the same problem with "Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP
>> (KB954156)" also with Windows XP (KB954154) update. None will install
>> !!!
>>
>> "Dave" wrote:
>>
>>> You are not alone. I have had the same problem since testerday with no
>>> solution from MS

ULguy

RE: Update for Media 9 Series
Forgot this info. To get the Encoder 9 Series download start by going to
Windows update. When that windows opens type in the search bar for
microsoft.com " Windows Media Encoder 9 Series". after clicking search, it
will bring you to a page where you will see as one of the results the
"download" link I mentioned in my last post.
--
ULguy

"ULguy" wrote:

> OK folks, I have a solution. After reading prior articles regarding this
> issue I found out the following : The Windows Media Encoder 9 series IS NOT
> WMP 9. It is a different animal. It is most likely that installation failed
> because you have an older version on the encoder (that was my situation and I
> have WMP 11). I went to microsoft downloads and clicked on a links that led
> me to a download of the "Encoder 9 Series". After installing the updated
> version of the encoder, the critical update we were all having a problem with
> installed successfully. Be advised that the installation of the "Windows
> Media Encoder 9 Series" involves several steps and overwrites several files (
> you'll see as you step along). There was info regarding this encoder that I
> did not read (I just downloaded and installed it). This led me to wonder why
> wasn't there an update somewhere along the line to upgrade the older encoder
> to the "series 9 encoder"??? I'll post again if I notice any problems.
> Finally, since I'm not an MS MVP, I don't know if this update was even
> necessary if you are using the older encoder. I myself like to keep the
> latest and greatest updates offered so I went with the flow. Because it was
> security related I performs the step noted above. Hopes this will help some
> of us resolve the update falure.
> --
> ULguy
>

> "AMM" wrote:
>
> > Have the same problem with "Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156)"
> > also with Windows XP (KB954154) update. None will install !!!
> >
> > "Dave" wrote:
> >
> > > You are not alone. I have had the same problem since testerday with no
> > > solution from MS

Dave

RE: Update for Media 9 Series
ULguy has the correct solution. I just installed encoder 9 from ms download
site and then was able to upgrade