Windows update created the problem?

Have a nice day,

Windows update created the problem?
My computer has problem of receiving network packets since this morning after
the automatic windows update. I choose the Auto download and install option,
and now has no idea of the updates that was last installed at this morning.

After my computer auto-restart from the update, I cannot connect to my local
area network and also the Internet! I had tried to change my network cable,
connect to wireless network, and check my network adapter from the device
manager.

Please advice. I need to get my netowrk connection working again ASAP! thank
you
Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows update created the problem?
Have a nice day, wrote:
> My computer has problem of receiving network packets since this
> morning after the automatic windows update. I choose the Auto
> download and install option, and now has no idea of the updates
> that was last installed at this morning.
>
> After my computer auto-restart from the update, I cannot connect to
> my local area network and also the Internet! I had tried to change
> my network cable, connect to wireless network, and check my network
> adapter from the device manager.
>
> Please advice. I need to get my netowrk connection working again
> ASAP! thank you

1) What Operating System?
2) What service pack level is said operating system at?
3) Do you know how to use the "Control Panel" --> "Add or Remove Programs"
(if XP...)?
4) Did you check the manufacturer of the wireless cards for newer drivers?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Bobpublish

"Have a nice day," wrote:

> My computer has problem of receiving network packets since this morning after
> the automatic windows update. I choose the Auto download and install option,
> and now has no idea of the updates that was last installed at this morning.
>
> After my computer auto-restart from the update, I cannot connect to my local
> area network and also the Internet! I had tried to change my network cable,
> connect to wireless network, and check my network adapter from the device
> manager.
>
> Please advice. I need to get my netowrk connection working again ASAP! thank
> you

jmelv2sew

"Have a nice day," wrote:

> My computer has problem of receiving network packets since this morning after
> the automatic windows update. I choose the Auto download and install option,
> and now has no idea of the updates that was last installed at this morning.
>
> After my computer auto-restart from the update, I cannot connect to my local
> area network and also the Internet! I had tried to change my network cable,
> connect to wireless network, and check my network adapter from the device
> manager.
>
> Please advice. I need to get my netowrk connection working again ASAP! thank
> you

I am also having this same problem. Service pack 3 completely wipes out my
e-mail with my server. I am hoping someone has a fix for this. I have tried
three times with the update. Have rolled back my computer each time to get
things to work. I will not try the update again until I feel there is a
solution.

jmelv2sew wrote:
> "Have a nice day," wrote:
>
>> My computer has problem of receiving network packets since this
>> morning after the automatic windows update. I choose the Auto
>> download and install option, and now has no idea of the updates
>> that was last installed at this morning.
>>
>> After my computer auto-restart from the update, I cannot connect
>> to my local area network and also the Internet! I had tried to
>> change my network cable, connect to wireless network, and check my
>> network adapter from the device manager.
>>
>> Please advice. I need to get my netowrk connection working again
>> ASAP! thank you

> I am also having this same problem. Service pack 3 completely
> wipes out my e-mail with my server. I am hoping someone has a fix
> for this. I have tried three times with the update. Have rolled
> back my computer each time to get things to work. I will not try
> the update again until I feel there is a solution.

How is that the same as the original poster's issue?

Yours is not the same in as far as can be discerned. The original poster
did not mention what update on what operating system and they made no
mention of email or 'wiping out' of anything like that. They did mention
losing network connectivity - but that would not 'wipe out' any email.

SP3 is a LOT of updates rolled into one - with a few new things added in.
If you are having trouble with it - it is something with your system. You
need to troubleshoot it in order to successfully apply the update.

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Have a nice day,

Re: Windows update created the problem?
> 1) What Operating System?
A: It's Windows XP

> 2) What service pack level is said operating system at?

A: SP2

> 3) Do you know how to use the "Control Panel" --> "Add or Remove Programs"
> (if XP...)?

A: Yes. I tried to go into the system restore and found out that the last
installation was a "Software Distribution Service 3" (Sorry, I can't actually
remember the complete name, hope I am right). When I tried to restore back my
system to before the installation, the system said "failed to restore".

> 4) Did you check the manufacturer of the wireless cards for newer drivers?

A: I am not installing new wireless card. I prefer to use cable network as I
feel it's more stable. I confirm that it's not the problem of the network
switch (others in the network is ok), network cable (I changed the cable and
also exchange with another user), Wireless router (others are connected). I
just wanted to see if my wireless connection is working. But, unfortunately,
NO.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Have a nice day, wrote:
> > My computer has problem of receiving network packets since this
> > morning after the automatic windows update. I choose the Auto
> > download and install option, and now has no idea of the updates
> > that was last installed at this morning.
> >
> > After my computer auto-restart from the update, I cannot connect to
> > my local area network and also the Internet! I had tried to change
> > my network cable, connect to wireless network, and check my network
> > adapter from the device manager.
> >
> > Please advice. I need to get my netowrk connection working again
> > ASAP! thank you

> 1) What Operating System?
> 2) What service pack level is said operating system at?
> 3) Do you know how to use the "Control Panel" --> "Add or Remove Programs"
> (if XP...)?
> 4) Did you check the manufacturer of the wireless cards for newer drivers?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Have a nice day wrote:

> My computer has problem of receiving network packets since this morning after
> the automatic windows update. I choose the Auto download and install option,
> and now has no idea of the updates that was last installed at this morning.

What anti-virus software do you have installed? What firewall software?

It might be helpful to uninstall the new updates and see if that resolves the
problem. If so, you should then reinstall them one by one to see which one is
responsible.

You can see which updates are new using Add/Remove Programs (tick the "Show
Updates" box at the top).

Harry.

Have a nice day, wrote:
>> 4) Did you check the manufacturer of the wireless cards for newer
>> drivers?

> A: I am not installing new wireless card. I prefer to use cable
> network as I feel it's more stable. I confirm that it's not the
> problem of the network switch (others in the network is ok),
> network cable (I changed the cable and also exchange with another
> user), Wireless router (others are connected). I just wanted to see
> if my wireless connection is working. But, unfortunately, NO.

Did you check for the latest wired network card drivers?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP