KB954154 keeps wanting to install itself, even after sucessful ins

DeadMule

KB954154 keeps wanting to install itself, even after sucessful ins
I installed the KB954154 update on both my machines yesterday, and they both
show the same behaviour: The update is successfully installed, but a few
minutes later, the same update is "available" again. I have complied with
this request a couple of times on both machines, but it keeps coming back.
When I turn off the machines, Windows says there is an update to install, and
I let it install it during the power-off. It's still the same update
(KB954154). After reboot, it wants to install it again!! Seems like a
neverendig loop! Maybe I just have to disable updates for now...

Systems: Win XP SP3, WinMediaPlayer 11

sabeltann

RE: KB954154 keeps wanting to install itself, even after sucessful ins

"DeadMule" wrote:

> I installed the KB954154 update on both my machines yesterday, and they both
> show the same behaviour: The update is successfully installed, but a few
> minutes later, the same update is "available" again. I have complied with
> this request a couple of times on both machines, but it keeps coming back.
> When I turn off the machines, Windows says there is an update to install, and
> I let it install it during the power-off. It's still the same update
> (KB954154). After reboot, it wants to install it again!! Seems like a
> neverendig loop! Maybe I just have to disable updates for now...
>
> Systems: Win XP SP3, WinMediaPlayer 11

Re: KB954154 keeps wanting to install itself, even after sucessful ins
Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea Timer,
AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!

=====================

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

===========================

Support for Windows Update:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

DeadMule wrote:
> I installed the KB954154 update on both my machines yesterday, and they
> both
> show the same behaviour: The update is successfully installed, but a few
> minutes later, the same update is "available" again. I have complied with
> this request a couple of times on both machines, but it keeps coming back.
> When I turn off the machines, Windows says there is an update to install,
> and I let it install it during the power-off. It's still the same update
> (KB954154). After reboot, it wants to install it again!! Seems like a
> neverendig loop! Maybe I just have to disable updates for now...
>
> Systems: Win XP SP3, WinMediaPlayer 11

I have the same problem What is the cure

"DeadMule" wrote:

> I installed the KB954154 update on both my machines yesterday, and they both
> show the same behaviour: The update is successfully installed, but a few
> minutes later, the same update is "available" again. I have complied with
> this request a couple of times on both machines, but it keeps coming back.
> When I turn off the machines, Windows says there is an update to install, and
> I let it install it during the power-off. It's still the same update
> (KB954154). After reboot, it wants to install it again!! Seems like a
> neverendig loop! Maybe I just have to disable updates for now...
>
> Systems: Win XP SP3, WinMediaPlayer 11

aamod

Re: KB954154 keeps wanting to install itself, even after sucessful ins

Go to your Windows directory. Here you'll find a folder
%windows/software distribution/download. In this directory you'll
probably see a few folders with number and letters combination. In one
of these, you'll find a folder called
wm11. In this folder there is a file called wmpeffects.dll, with
version number
11.0.5721.5252. Copy this into your system 32 folder in windows
directory. Then Yes to replace the file when prompt. Then the problem is
solved. And then at last: Don't forget to make a restore point!!! Before
you start :-)

A description in Norwegian here :
http://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?showtopic=1006625

--
aamod
aamod's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/aamod.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Robert

Re: KB954154 keeps wanting to install itself, even after sucessful
I had the same problem and disabled F-secure antivirus, but the problem
remains. It is listed as successfully installed but dosn't go away in the
list when I visit Microsoft Update

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea Timer,
> AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
> attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
> firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!
>
> =====================
>
> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> Update Services installation issues:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>
> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527
>
> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
> 3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
> associated with the download/install.
>
> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
>
> ===========================

> Support for Windows Update:
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> DeadMule wrote:
> > I installed the KB954154 update on both my machines yesterday, and they
> > both
> > show the same behaviour: The update is successfully installed, but a few
> > minutes later, the same update is "available" again. I have complied with
> > this request a couple of times on both machines, but it keeps coming back.
> > When I turn off the machines, Windows says there is an update to install,
> > and I let it install it during the power-off. It's still the same update
> > (KB954154). After reboot, it wants to install it again!! Seems like a
> > neverendig loop! Maybe I just have to disable updates for now...
> >
> > Systems: Win XP SP3, WinMediaPlayer 11

Re: KB954154 keeps wanting to install itself, even after sucessful
And what does /your/ WindowsUpdate.log have to say about it?

Have you opened a free support incident?

andreas.aune@gmail.com

On 11 Sep, 18:50, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And what does /your/ WindowsUpdate.log have to say about it?
>
> Have you opened a free support incident?
>
> Robert wrote:
> > I had the same problem and disabled F-secure antivirus, but the problem
> > remains. It is listed as successfully installed but dosn't go away in the
> > list when I visit Microsoft Update

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> >> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
> >> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea
> >> Timer,
> >> AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
> >> attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
> >> firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!

> >> =====================

> >> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> >> Update Services installation issues:
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

> >> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
> >> of
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

> >> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> >> * *http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

> >> 3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
> >> associated with the download/install.

> >> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

> >> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> >>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> >> and/or go tohttp://windowsupdate.microsoft.com> click on Help and
> >> Support
> >> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

> >> ===========================

> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> >>https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527

> >> Support for Windows Update:
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> AumHa VSOP & Adminhttp://aumha.net
> >> DTS-Lhttp://dts-l.net/

I have the same problem. The WindowsUpdateLog says "all fine" to me
(if I understand it correctly).
andreas.aune@gmail.com

Re: KB954154 keeps wanting to install itself, even after sucessful
On 11 Sep, 18:50, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And what does /your/ WindowsUpdate.log have to say about it?
>
> Have you opened a free support incident?
>
> Robert wrote:
> > I had the same problem and disabled F-secure antivirus, but the problem
> > remains. It is listed as successfully installed but dosn't go away in the
> > list when I visit Microsoft Update

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> >> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
> >> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea
> >> Timer,
> >> AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
> >> attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
> >> firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!

> >> =====================

> >> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> >> Update Services installation issues:
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

> >> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
> >> of
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

> >> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> >> * *http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

> >> 3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
> >> associated with the download/install.

> >> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

> >> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> >>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> >> and/or go tohttp://windowsupdate.microsoft.com> click on Help and
> >> Support
> >> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

> >> ===========================

> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> >>https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527

> >> Support for Windows Update:
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> AumHa VSOP & Adminhttp://aumha.net
> >> DTS-Lhttp://dts-l.net/

I have the same problem. The WindowsUpdateLog says "all fine" to me
(if I understand it correctly). I have opened a free support
incident, not got any response yet.
ste7

RE: KB954154 keeps wanting to install itself, even after sucessful ins
I can se 5 successful updates i the log, and it will still be installed!