More Installation Failures

scalegps

More Installation Failures
I guess I am having problems like most everyone else. With the latest update
(this week) I am now up to 18 updates that will not install. These are listed
below. I've tried some of the tips from other postings like looking at
installation .log files, but I don't see any in the folder mentioned in the
posts. All I have are a bunch of .txt files detailing the installation
failures.

Every time I visit the update site it downloads any "new" updates, and then
tries to install the complete list, saying that the previous updates are
downloaded and ready for installation. Installation fails about 10 sec later
with a recommendation to use the "troubleshooter" to help fix this problem.
Naturally the troubleshooter offers no help, no matter what search terms I
try.

Any ideas? Can I just eliminate some corrupted master file I don't know
about and start the updates over? System is XP SP3.

Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB938127)
Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB953839)
Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB939683)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB936782)
Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows XP (KB929399)
Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB951066)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB953838)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)
Update for Windows XP (KB951072)
Update for Windows XP (KB952287)
Update for Microsoft Silverlight 1.0 (KB955305)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - September 2008 (KB890830)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB954154)

TaurArian

RE: More Installation Failures
Hi there, try method 1 if not method 2 in this article (ignore the title)
Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Reboot if appropriate.

Otherwise post back with the relevant part of the windowsupdage.log where
the error codes would be mentioned.

--
--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009

"scalegps" wrote:

> I guess I am having problems like most everyone else. With the latest update
> (this week) I am now up to 18 updates that will not install. These are listed
> below. I've tried some of the tips from other postings like looking at
> installation .log files, but I don't see any in the folder mentioned in the
> posts. All I have are a bunch of .txt files detailing the installation
> failures.
>
> Every time I visit the update site it downloads any "new" updates, and then
> tries to install the complete list, saying that the previous updates are
> downloaded and ready for installation. Installation fails about 10 sec later
> with a recommendation to use the "troubleshooter" to help fix this problem.
> Naturally the troubleshooter offers no help, no matter what search terms I
> try.
>
> Any ideas? Can I just eliminate some corrupted master file I don't know
> about and start the updates over? System is XP SP3.
>
> Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
> Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB938127)
> Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB953839)
> Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB939683)
> Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB936782)
> Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows XP (KB929399)
> Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB951066)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB953838)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)
> Update for Windows XP (KB951072)
> Update for Windows XP (KB952287)
> Update for Microsoft Silverlight 1.0 (KB955305)
> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - September 2008 (KB890830)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB954154)

RE: More Installation Failures
Hi there.
I have the same problem since july. It seems no update will be installed if
there is a problem with just one of them. I installed all updates manually
(search the web for the update id) which worked, only kb953838 won't work.
The error message states 'wrong version number', I have win xp3 and ie
7.0.5730.13. Our problems might be identical.
Any help would be appreciated.

"scalegps" wrote:

> I guess I am having problems like most everyone else. With the latest update
> (this week) I am now up to 18 updates that will not install. These are listed
> below. I've tried some of the tips from other postings like looking at
> installation .log files, but I don't see any in the folder mentioned in the
> posts. All I have are a bunch of .txt files detailing the installation
> failures.
>
> Every time I visit the update site it downloads any "new" updates, and then
> tries to install the complete list, saying that the previous updates are
> downloaded and ready for installation. Installation fails about 10 sec later
> with a recommendation to use the "troubleshooter" to help fix this problem.
> Naturally the troubleshooter offers no help, no matter what search terms I
> try.
>
> Any ideas? Can I just eliminate some corrupted master file I don't know
> about and start the updates over? System is XP SP3.
>
> Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
> Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB938127)
> Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB953839)
> Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB939683)
> Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB936782)
> Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows XP (KB929399)
> Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB951066)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB953838)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)
> Update for Windows XP (KB951072)
> Update for Windows XP (KB952287)
> Update for Microsoft Silverlight 1.0 (KB955305)
> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - September 2008 (KB890830)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB954154)

grandawn

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Hi there, try method 1 if not method 2 in this article (ignore the title)
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> Reboot if appropriate.
>
> Otherwise post back with the relevant part of the windowsupdage.log where
> the error codes would be mentioned.
>
> --
> --------------------------------
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
> Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "scalegps" wrote:
>
> > I guess I am having problems like most everyone else. With the latest update
> > (this week) I am now up to 18 updates that will not install. These are listed
> > below. I've tried some of the tips from other postings like looking at
> > installation .log files, but I don't see any in the folder mentioned in the
> > posts. All I have are a bunch of .txt files detailing the installation
> > failures.
> >
> > Every time I visit the update site it downloads any "new" updates, and then
> > tries to install the complete list, saying that the previous updates are
> > downloaded and ready for installation. Installation fails about 10 sec later
> > with a recommendation to use the "troubleshooter" to help fix this problem.
> > Naturally the troubleshooter offers no help, no matter what search terms I
> > try.
> >
> > Any ideas? Can I just eliminate some corrupted master file I don't know
> > about and start the updates over? System is XP SP3.
> >
> > Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
> > Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB938127)
> > Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB953839)
> > Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB939683)
> > Security Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB936782)
> > Update for Windows Media Format 11 SDK for Windows XP (KB929399)
> > Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB951066)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)
> > Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB953838)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)
> > Update for Windows XP (KB951072)
> > Update for Windows XP (KB952287)
> > Update for Microsoft Silverlight 1.0 (KB955305)
> > Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - September 2008 (KB890830)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB954154)

grandawn

RE: More Installation Failures
I have been having this same problem. It appears that this worked! Thanks!