Stand-alone Microsoft Update installer

Osiris43

Stand-alone Microsoft Update installer
I've been fighting a problem with Windows Update on 2 separate systems for
over a year now.
Attempts to access Windows Update always result in error number 0x80072F78.
There's a workaround that usually works (see below) but it's annoying to
have to use it.

When the Windows Update site opens, it offers the opportunity to upgrade to
Microsoft Update.
Attempts to do so always result in error number 0x80072F78.
So far, I haven't found a workaround for this one.

Is there any way to determine what is causing the error and get it fixed?

Is there a stand-alone installer for Microsoft Update for Windows 2000?

OS: Windows 2000 Pro SP 4 (v 5.0 build 2195)
Browser: IE 6.0 SP 1 (v 6.0.2800.1106)
AV: Symantec AntiVirus v 10.0.1.1001
Proxy server: Configured through IE options.

Problem: Error number 0x80072F78.
This error occurs after choosing any option on the Windows Update web
site (Express, Custom or upgrade to Microsoft Update).

I. Symptoms that occur on 2 similarly (but not identically) configured
systems:
1. Start IE.
2. Select the Tools-Windows Update menu option.
3. I have to authenticate to my proxy server.
4. The Windows Update site opens.
5. The page displays an "Upgrade to Microsoft Update" banner.
6. Click the 'Custom' button.
7. I have to authenticate to my prosy server again.
8. After waiting a few minutes, Windows Update fails with error number
0x80072F78.

II. Windows Update Workaround.
Partial solution because it only works once each time the steps are followed.
1. Start IE.
2. Clear cookies, cache and history. (I don't think this is really
necessary but I do it anyway.)
3. Exit IE.
4. Stop Windows Update Service (WuAuServ).
5. Delete %windir%/Software Distribution folder.
6. Start Windows Update Service (WuAuServ).
7. Start IE.
8. Select the Tools-Windows Update menu option.
9. Authenticate to the proxy server.
10. The Windows Update site opens.
11. The page displays the "Get Microsoft Update" banner with "Go" button,
plus Windows Update "Express" and "Custom" buttons.
12. Click the 'Custom' button.
13. Authenticate to the prosy server again.
14. After a few minutes, the available update list appears.
15. Select, download and install updates.
16. Reboot.

Steps 4, 5 and 6 are the critical steps that allow Windows Update to work
properly once (usually...it sometimes fails anyway).

Subsequent attempts to go back to Windows Update without repeating Steps 1
through 6 result in error number 0x80072F78.

III. Attempts to upgrade to Microsoft Update always fail.
1. Start IE.
2. Clear cookies, cache and history. (I don't think this is really
necessary but I do it anyway.)
3. Exit IE.
4. Stop Windows Update Service (WuAuServ).
5. Delete %windir%/Software Distribution folder.
6. Start Windows Update Service (WuAuServ).
7. Start IE.
8. Select the Tools-Windows Update menu option.
9. Authenticate to the proxy server.
10. The Windows Update site opens.
11. The page displays the "Get Microsoft Update" banner with "Go" button,
plus Windows Update "Express" and "Custom" buttons.
12. Click the 'Go' button.
"Try Microsoft Update" page opens with "Start Now" button.
20. Click "Start Now".
License agreement page opens with "Continue" button.
21. Click "Continue" button.
Error number 0x80072F78 appears.

Attempts to update to Microsoft Update invariably fail.

IV. Windows Update Forum and KB articles 836941, 843772 and 900935 contain
other recommendations that were not useful
1. Started IE.
2. Added the following to IE trusted sites (KB836941 Method E):
http://update.microsoft.com
http://download.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
3. Cleared cookies, cache & history
4. Closed IE.
5. Reinstalled BITS 5.1 (KB836941 Method F, KB843773).
6. Installed proxycfg.exe v 5.1.2600.5512 (required for compatibility with
BITS 5.1).
7. Using proxycfg.exe, confirmed NO proxy server configured in WinHTTP
(KB836941 Advanced B).
8. Stopped Windows Update Service (WuAuServ).
9. Deleted %windir%/Software Distribution folder.
10. Restarted WU service.
11. Installed WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe /wuforce (Windows Update Forum
recommendation).
12. Rebooted.
13. Started IE.
14. Cleared cookies, cache & history
15. Closed IE.
16. Stopped Windows Update Service (WuAuServ).
17. Deleted %windir%/Software Distribution folder.
18. Restarted WU service.
19. Started IE.
20. Select the Tools-Windows Update menu option.
21. Authenticate to the proxy server.
22. The Windows Update site opens.
23. The page displays the "Get latest Windows Update" banner with "Install
Now" button.
24. Click "Install Now".
Some updates are downloaded and installed successfully.
25. The Windows Update site opens.
26. The page displays the "Get Microsoft Update" banner with "Go" button,
plus Windows Update "Express" and "Custom" buttons.
27. Click the 'Custom' button.
28. Authenticate to the prosy server again.
29. After a few minutes, the available update list appears.
30. Select, download and install updates.
31. Reboot.

After completing the above steps, it's possible to run Windows Update by
following the steps in Part II.
It's still impossible to upgrade to Microsoft Update.

V. Alternate version of Part IV.
Repeat Part IV with the following change:
11. Installed WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce (Windows Update Forum
recommendation).
*NOTE: This is the only step that changed from Part IV.

After completing the above steps, it's possible to run Windows Update by
following the steps in Part II.
It's still impossible to upgrade to Microsoft Update.

Re: Stand-alone Microsoft Update installer
You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows
Update or Microsoft Update to install updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

Also see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Osiris43 wrote:
> [...]
> 27. Click the 'Custom' button.
> 28. Authenticate to the prosy server again.
> 29. After a few minutes, the available update list appears.
> 30. Select, download and install updates.
> 31. Reboot.
>
> After completing the above steps, it's possible to run Windows Update by
> following the steps in Part II.
> It's still impossible to upgrade to Microsoft Update.
>
> V. Alternate version of Part IV.
> Repeat Part IV with the following change:
> 11. Installed WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce (Windows Update Forum
> recommendation).
> *NOTE: This is the only step that changed from Part IV.
>
> After completing the above steps, it's possible to run Windows Update by
> following the steps in Part II.
> It's still impossible to upgrade to Microsoft Update.

Osiris43

Re: Stand-alone Microsoft Update installer
Sorry, PA Bear, that didn't help.
I had already checked both of those KB's and I had followed their references
out to several levels to see if anything applied.
I also tried the steps outlined in
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33560 which was targeted for an XP
Windows Update problem. I followed the same basic procedures using Win2K
program versions.
So far, nothing has helped.

Re: Stand-alone Microsoft Update installer
[You're not helping by omitting quoting of the previous message.]

Open a free support incident.