Windows Media Player looping

Peter Cruickshank

Windows Media Player looping
After the MS update today (10th Sept) the CPU on my Quad runs all 4
processors at >80% in kernel mode and Windows Media Player will not start up.
wmplayer.exe is running (I didnt start it). Any ideas please? Is there an
update I should de-install.
--
Peter Cruickshank
Peter Cruickshank

RE: Windows Media Player looping
Forgot to mention I'm running Vista
--
Peter Cruickshank

"Peter Cruickshank" wrote:

> After the MS update today (10th Sept) the CPU on my Quad runs all 4
> processors at >80% in kernel mode and Windows Media Player will not start up.
> wmplayer.exe is running (I didnt start it). Any ideas please? Is there an
> update I should de-install.
> --
> Peter Cruickshank

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Media Player looping
KB954154 is the update for Vulnerability in Windows Media Player Could
Allow Remote Code Execution
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS08-054.mspx

Wmplayer.exe is not replaced nor does the update do 'anything' to the
executable.
Is WMP set to load on Startup ? You can tell by checking Task Manager
when the system first boots up [right click on the Taskbar at the bottom
of the screen and choose Task Manager. Then click the Processes tab]

Suggest uninstalling KB954154 and then reboot. It *should* be reoffered.
Check to see if wmplayer.exe is a running Process in Task Manager.
If it is, click once on it to highlight it, then click the End Process
button.
Install KB954154 now.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Peter Cruickshank wrote:

> Forgot to mention I'm running Vista

Peter Cruickshank

Re: Windows Media Player looping
Thanks I spotted that too & deinstalled it. wmplayer is running after reboot
(low CPU but thats because the looping is in kernal mode which appears not to
be reported in task manager (bug!)). I'm unable to stop the process as it
doesnt respond to End Process or End Process Tree.
--
Peter Cruickshank

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> KB954154 is the update for Vulnerability in Windows Media Player Could
> Allow Remote Code Execution
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS08-054.mspx
>
> Wmplayer.exe is not replaced nor does the update do 'anything' to the
> executable.
> Is WMP set to load on Startup ? You can tell by checking Task Manager
> when the system first boots up [right click on the Taskbar at the bottom
> of the screen and choose Task Manager. Then click the Processes tab]
>
> Suggest uninstalling KB954154 and then reboot. It *should* be reoffered.
> Check to see if wmplayer.exe is a running Process in Task Manager.
> If it is, click once on it to highlight it, then click the End Process
> button.
> Install KB954154 now.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Peter Cruickshank wrote:
>
> > Forgot to mention I'm running Vista

Peter Cruickshank

Re: Windows Media Player looping
I de-installed all other OS related patches (5 of them today :
KB938464,954154,95502,905866,954366) and WMplayer now starts up correctly.
Its not 954154 as I de-installed that and rebooted and wmplayer still would
not start.
--
Peter Cruickshank

"Peter Cruickshank" wrote:

> Thanks I spotted that too & deinstalled it. wmplayer is running after reboot
> (low CPU but thats because the looping is in kernal mode which appears not to
> be reported in task manager (bug!)). I'm unable to stop the process as it
> doesnt respond to End Process or End Process Tree.
> --
> Peter Cruickshank
>

> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > KB954154 is the update for Vulnerability in Windows Media Player Could
> > Allow Remote Code Execution
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS08-054.mspx
> >
> > Wmplayer.exe is not replaced nor does the update do 'anything' to the
> > executable.
> > Is WMP set to load on Startup ? You can tell by checking Task Manager
> > when the system first boots up [right click on the Taskbar at the bottom
> > of the screen and choose Task Manager. Then click the Processes tab]
> >
> > Suggest uninstalling KB954154 and then reboot. It *should* be reoffered.
> > Check to see if wmplayer.exe is a running Process in Task Manager.
> > If it is, click once on it to highlight it, then click the End Process
> > button.
> > Install KB954154 now.
> >
> > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> > ===============
> > *-343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ===============
> >

> > Peter Cruickshank wrote:
> >
> > > Forgot to mention I'm running Vista

Re: Windows Media Player looping

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Peter Cruickshank wrote:
> I de-installed all other OS related patches (5 of them today :
> KB938464,954154,95502,905866,954366) and WMplayer now starts up correctly.
> Its not 954154 as I de-installed that and rebooted and wmplayer still
> would
> not start.
>
>> Thanks I spotted that too & deinstalled it. wmplayer is running after
>> reboot (low CPU but thats because the looping is in kernal mode which
>> appears not to be reported in task manager (bug!)). I'm unable to stop
>> the
>> process as it doesnt respond to End Process or End Process Tree.
>> --
>> Peter Cruickshank
>>

>> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> KB954154 is the update for Vulnerability in Windows Media Player Could
>>> Allow Remote Code Execution
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS08-054.mspx
>>>
>>> Wmplayer.exe is not replaced nor does the update do 'anything' to the
>>> executable.
>>> Is WMP set to load on Startup ? You can tell by checking Task Manager
>>> when the system first boots up [right click on the Taskbar at the bottom
>>> of the screen and choose Task Manager. Then click the Processes tab]
>>>
>>> Suggest uninstalling KB954154 and then reboot. It *should* be reoffered.
>>> Check to see if wmplayer.exe is a running Process in Task Manager.
>>> If it is, click once on it to highlight it, then click the End Process
>>> button.
>>> Install KB954154 now.
>>>
>>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>> ===============
>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>> Never Forgotten

Peter Cruickshank

Re: Windows Media Player looping
After considerable investigation it transpired to be a wireless network card
which I had disabled as on LAN which had become re-enabled after the patches
had been applied. The high CPU was a consequence of repeated attempts in the
background to connect. I disabled the wireless and all was well.
--
Peter Cruickshank