Two problems with Tuesday WU

David F

Two problems with Tuesday WU
1)
Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (KB952241)

Keeps saying it needs to be installed for about five times even though it
installs successfully.

2)
Security update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB954607)

Failed a couple of times and doesn't try to reinstall. Error code is 735E
which neither windows help or google tells me about.

I have tried rebooting and the same problems occur. TIA

TaurArian

Re: Two problems with Tuesday WU
Q1 - How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are
repeatedly offered an update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

Q2 - have you checked out this forum:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...ID=95&SiteID=1

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"David F" <abcde@gmail.com> wrote in message
> 1)
> Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (KB952241)
>
> Keeps saying it needs to be installed for about five times even though it
> installs successfully.
>
> 2)
> Security update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB954607)
>
> Failed a couple of times and doesn't try to reinstall. Error code is 735E
> which neither windows help or google tells me about.
>
> I have tried rebooting and the same problems occur. TIA

Andre Arpin

Re: Two problems with Tuesday WU

I have tried
How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are
repeatedly offered an update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

on two computers. It did not fix the problem in either.

I tried it again in safe mode with the network disable it did not
help.

The log file contains the following:
MsiApplyMultiplesPatches returned 0x641
I expect this is significant but I cannot find any info related to this
message.

--
Andre Arpin
Andre Arpin's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/andre-arpin.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Re: Two problems with Tuesday WU
Please begin your own new thread, Andre.

Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Andre Arpin wrote:
> I have tried
> How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are
> repeatedly offered an update
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339
>
> on two computers. It did not fix the problem in either.
>
> I tried it again in safe mode with the network disable it did not
> help.
>
> The log file contains the following:
> MsiApplyMultiplesPatches returned 0x641
> I expect this is significant but I cannot find any info related to this
> message.

Andre Arpin

Re: Two problems with Tuesday WU

I am using WinXP SP3 on both computers.
One of them I keep up to date but hardly ever use so it is not likely
to have any virus.

--
Andre Arpin
Andre Arpin's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/andre-arpin.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1035597.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Re: Two problems with Tuesday WU
To whom are you replying? To keep track of things, it helps immensely if
you include all of previous message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup.
Thank you.

Andre Arpin wrote:
> I am using WinXP SP3 on both computers.
> One of them I keep up to date but hardly ever use so it is not likely
> to have any virus.

Triple-DES

On 10 Sep, 12:29, "David F" <ab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1)
> Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (KB952241)
>
> Keeps saying it needs to be installed for about five times even though it
> installs successfully.

Have you resolved this? I am seeing the same problem on Vista Business
x64

This update failed for me with code 80246007. After that it installed
itself "successfully" 6-7 times. Now Visual Studio crashes on exit,
and attaching to processes, which is extremely inconvenient to say the
least.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
DP
drslack

Re: Two problems with Tuesday WU
I had the same problem. Here is what worked for me. If you have SP1 installed
in Visual Studio 2008 then download VS2008-PatchRemovalTool here:
.. After you run that then reinstall Visual Studio SP1 (This takes some time.)
Anyway this cured the problem you explained.

Good Luck

Don S

"Triple-DES" wrote:

> On 10 Sep, 12:29, "David F" <ab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1)
> > Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (KB952241)
> >
> > Keeps saying it needs to be installed for about five times even though it
> > installs successfully.
> >

> Have you resolved this? I am seeing the same problem on Vista Business
> x64
>

> This update failed for me with code 80246007. After that it installed
> itself "successfully" 6-7 times. Now Visual Studio crashes on exit,
> and attaching to processes, which is extremely inconvenient to say the
> least.
>
> Any advice is greatly appreciated.
> DP

Andre Arpin

Re: Two problems with Tuesday WU

This fixes my 3 systems XP, and Vista all 32 bits.
Thank you.

drslack;3979263 Wrote:
> I had the same problem. Here is what worked for me. If you have SP1
> installed
> in Visual Studio 2008 then download VS2008-PatchRemovalTool here:
> .. After you run that then reinstall Visual Studio SP1 (This takes some
> time.)
> Anyway this cured the problem you explained.

[/color]

--
Andre Arpin
Andre Arpin's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/andre-arpin.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1035597.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

JohnL

Re: Two problems with Tuesday WU
This advice from MS worked for me

Step 1 : Rename the Software Distribution Folder.

1) Click on Start > Run, type "services.msc" on the box and press ENTER

2) Right-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service, choose Stop

3) Right-click on Cryptographic Services, choose Stop

4) Right-click on Windows Update, choose Stop

5) Close the Services window

6) Click on Start > Run, type %windir% then press ENTER

7) Locate the SoftwareDistribution folder, right-click on it and choose
Rename, then rename the folder to SDold

8) Click on Start > Run, type "services.msc" on the box and press ENTER

9) Right-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service, choose Start

10) Right-click on Cryptographic Services, choose Start

11) Right-click on Windows Update, choose Start

12) Close the Services window.

Step 2 : Manually download and install Updates

--
C++/C# Developer
Part time SBS2003 Admin

"Triple-DES" wrote:

> On 10 Sep, 12:29, "David F" <ab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1)
> > Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (KB952241)
> >
> > Keeps saying it needs to be installed for about five times even though it
> > installs successfully.
> >

> Have you resolved this? I am seeing the same problem on Vista Business
> x64
>

> This update failed for me with code 80246007. After that it installed
> itself "successfully" 6-7 times. Now Visual Studio crashes on exit,
> and attaching to processes, which is extremely inconvenient to say the
> least.
>
> Any advice is greatly appreciated.
> DP

Tuesday Updates mtester microsoft.public.windowsupdate 12 05-22-2008 10:04
Few Super Tuesday e-voting problems reported Steve Security News 0 02-06-2008 20:00
Patch Tuesday.. Paul Security News 0 10-10-2007 03:12
Patch Tuesday.. Paul Security News 0 10-10-2007 02:40
Patch Tuesday THIS Tuesday Steve Security News 0 04-03-2007 21:31