service pack 3?

fredB

service pack 3?
I have been trying to install service pack 3 for months now and haven't been
successful. I keep getting a message saying unable to source PRO11.MSI as it
seems I am mising some component of Office 2003. I do not have a disc of
Office 2003 professional as it came already installed on my pc. Does this
mean I have to buy a new edition of this? I have noticed a few other
programs havent been working properly due to the lack of SP3 as well. I have
Xp home edition. Any help much appreciated as i seem to be going round in
circles on the microsoft help site
Kayman

Re: service pack 3?
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 02:18:01 -0700, fredB wrote:

> I have been trying to install service pack 3 for months now and haven't been
> successful.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...playlang=en&tm

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after
you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Create an Automated System Recovery set using Backup
http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

How to Set up and Use Automated System Recovery in Windows XP

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx

> I keep getting a message saying unable to source PRO11.MSI as it
> seems I am mising some component of Office 2003. I do not have a disc of
> Office 2003 professional as it came already installed on my pc.

Bad luck.

> Does this mean I have to buy a new edition of this?

Ask the experts at: microsoft.public.office.misc

> I have noticed a few other programs havent been working properly due to
> the lack of SP3 as well.

Highly unlikely.
Kayman

Re: service pack 3?
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 02:18:01 -0700, fredB wrote:

> I have been trying to install service pack 3 for months now and haven't been
> successful.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...playlang=en&tm

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after
you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Create an Automated System Recovery set using Backup
http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

How to Set up and Use Automated System Recovery in Windows XP

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx

> I keep getting a message saying unable to source PRO11.MSI as it
> seems I am mising some component of Office 2003. I do not have a disc of
> Office 2003 professional as it came already installed on my pc.

Bad luck.

> Does this mean I have to buy a new edition of this?

Ask the experts at: microsoft.public.office.misc

> I have noticed a few other programs havent been working properly due to
> the lack of SP3 as well.

Highly unlikely.
TaurArian

Re: service pack 3?
pro11.msi - Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003

See: http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/he...185721033.aspx
What to do when prompted for a missing .msi file .... .... also see: "I
don't have the installation CD"

You may be able to install SP3 from the full file version rather than taking
the smaller version through MU as that would require the original source.

For the full file:

There are no guarantees because on some occasions, the full file will also
ask for the original media.
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"fredB" <fredB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been trying to install service pack 3 for months now and haven't
>been
> successful. I keep getting a message saying unable to source PRO11.MSI as
> it
> seems I am mising some component of Office 2003. I do not have a disc of
> Office 2003 professional as it came already installed on my pc. Does this
> mean I have to buy a new edition of this? I have noticed a few other
> programs havent been working properly due to the lack of SP3 as well. I
> have
> Xp home edition. Any help much appreciated as i seem to be going round in
> circles on the microsoft help site

Gis Bun

RE: service pack 3?
Wherever you got Office Pro 2003 from, they are required to supply you with
the CD. The CD also contains your CD key to reinstall the CD in case you have
to reinstall Windows.

"fredB" wrote:

> I have been trying to install service pack 3 for months now and haven't been
> successful. I keep getting a message saying unable to source PRO11.MSI as it
> seems I am mising some component of Office 2003. I do not have a disc of
> Office 2003 professional as it came already installed on my pc. Does this
> mean I have to buy a new edition of this? I have noticed a few other
> programs havent been working properly due to the lack of SP3 as well. I have
> Xp home edition. Any help much appreciated as i seem to be going round in
> circles on the microsoft help site

Gordon

Re: service pack 3?
"Gis Bun" <GisBun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Wherever you got Office Pro 2003 from, they are required to supply you
> with
> the CD. The CD also contains your CD key to reinstall the CD in case you
> have
> to reinstall Windows.

Not technically accurate - the CD Container (the Jewel case) has a sticker
on the outside with the Product Key on it....the CD itself does not contain
the key.

Debbie

RE: service pack 3?
I don't understand why XP SP3 has shown up as an update on several of our XP
stations at work, but not mine or some other employee's. I even have it at
home. Is there a prerequisite for XP SP3?

"fredB" wrote:

> I have been trying to install service pack 3 for months now and haven't been
> successful. I keep getting a message saying unable to source PRO11.MSI as it
> seems I am mising some component of Office 2003. I do not have a disc of
> Office 2003 professional as it came already installed on my pc. Does this
> mean I have to buy a new edition of this? I have noticed a few other
> programs havent been working properly due to the lack of SP3 as well. I have
> Xp home edition. Any help much appreciated as i seem to be going round in
> circles on the microsoft help site

Gis Bun

Re: service pack 3?
Picky. Picky. Picky. :-)

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Gis Bun" <GisBun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Wherever you got Office Pro 2003 from, they are required to supply you
> > with
> > the CD. The CD also contains your CD key to reinstall the CD in case you
> > have
> > to reinstall Windows.
> >

> Not technically accurate - the CD Container (the Jewel case) has a sticker
> on the outside with the Product Key on it....the CD itself does not contain
> the key.

Gis Bun

RE: service pack 3?
The thread is for Office 2003.

[I suspect WU has detected that XP SP3 may not install correctly as drivers
need to be updated - or similar.]

"Debbie" wrote:

> I don't understand why XP SP3 has shown up as an update on several of our XP
> stations at work, but not mine or some other employee's. I even have it at
> home. Is there a prerequisite for XP SP3?
>
> "fredB" wrote:
>
> > I have been trying to install service pack 3 for months now and haven't been
> > successful. I keep getting a message saying unable to source PRO11.MSI as it
> > seems I am mising some component of Office 2003. I do not have a disc of
> > Office 2003 professional as it came already installed on my pc. Does this
> > mean I have to buy a new edition of this? I have noticed a few other
> > programs havent been working properly due to the lack of SP3 as well. I have
> > Xp home edition. Any help much appreciated as i seem to be going round in
> > circles on the microsoft help site

TaurArian

Re: service pack 3?
You are not offered the option to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 when you
use the Windows Update Web site or Automatic Updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955307