IE can't get to Windows Update or Microsoft Download

compulady

IE can't get to Windows Update or Microsoft Download
I can browse many different sites, but when I try to get to Windows Update or
any Windows download, I get the "The page cannot be displayed" message. I
ran VundoFix, XoftSpy, and McAfee and nothing was found. I am assuming it is
a virus, but nothing can find it. I can only start the computer in safe
mode, or I get the BSOD with IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

If anyone has any ideas, I could sure use the input as I am ready to
reformat that machine.

Re: IE can't get to Windows Update or Microsoft Download
Sounds like you may have a Vundo/ZLOB/SDBot infection, all protected by a
rootkit.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

compulady wrote:
> I can browse many different sites, but when I try to get to Windows Update
> or any Windows download, I get the "The page cannot be displayed" message.
> I ran VundoFix, XoftSpy, and McAfee and nothing was found. I am assuming
> it is a virus, but nothing can find it. I can only start the computer in
> safe mode, or I get the BSOD with IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
>
> If anyone has any ideas, I could sure use the input as I am ready to
> reformat that machine.

Gis Bun

RE: IE can't get to Windows Update or Microsoft Download
Aside from PA Bear's comments, if you are in Safe Mode, unless you specify
the networking option, I think network access is disabled. Hence, you can't
get to WU....