Windows Pro fails to start normally after SP3 install

Kack

Windows Pro fails to start normally after SP3 install
I've tried to install SP3 on a laptop running XP Pro SP2...3.4 GHz P4,
Hyper-Thread, PCI Express, NVIDIA GeForce 6800/256 MB, Intel 915P
motherboard, 1GB dual channel DDR2 RAM, dual Hitachi Travelstar hard drives
in a RAID-0 Array. Yes, I'm shutting off AV and firewall during installation.

The machine (from safe mode) shows SP3 installed but on reboot Windows does
not start normally. I restart in safe mod...unistall SP3 and all is fine
again (with SP2).

I've tried many of the recommended fixes. In the intial log file there were
references to hotfix migrations failing and update ver file not correct. The
only error code I've seen in several install attempts was 0x80246007 (and
this was after re-naming the download file, re-downloading and retrying the
installation).

Since SP3 appears to install should I try a clean boot troubleshoot
procedure? If so, are the step by step instructions somewhere for the PC
challenged? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Re: Windows Pro fails to start normally after SP3 install
0x80246007
SUS_E_DM_NOTDOWNLOADED
The update has not been downloaded.

Did you just do a Clean, Repair, or Upgrade Install of WinXP?

Is this a sudden, new problem?

Are you attempting to install WinXP SP3 manually or via Windows Update?

(if any)?

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 0x80246007
> SUS_E_DM_NOTDOWNLOADED
> The update has not been downloaded.
>
> Did you just do a Clean, Repair, or Upgrade Install of WinXP?
>
> Is this a sudden, new problem?
>
> Are you attempting to install WinXP SP3 manually or via Windows Update?
>

> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)?
>
> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Kack wrote:
> > I've tried to install SP3 on a laptop running XP Pro SP2...3.4 GHz P4,
> > Hyper-Thread, PCI Express, NVIDIA GeForce 6800/256 MB, Intel 915P
> > motherboard, 1GB dual channel DDR2 RAM, dual Hitachi Travelstar hard
> > drives
> > in a RAID-0 Array. Yes, I'm shutting off AV and firewall during
> > installation.
> >
> > The machine (from safe mode) shows SP3 installed but on reboot Windows
> > does
> > not start normally. I restart in safe mod...unistall SP3 and all is fine
> > again (with SP2).
> >
> > I've tried many of the recommended fixes. In the intial log file there
> > were
> > references to hotfix migrations failing and update ver file not correct.
> > The only error code I've seen in several install attempts was 0x80246007
> > (and this was after re-naming the download file, re-downloading and
> > retrying the installation).
> >
> > Since SP3 appears to install should I try a clean boot troubleshoot
> > procedure? If so, are the step by step instructions somewhere for the PC
> > challenged? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Thanks for your help. On a couple of the install attempts I searched the
log file and did not find SUS_E_DM_NOTDOWNLOADED.

I have not performed any Clean, Repair, or Upgrade Install of WinXP…this
machine has always ran 5x5 for about 3 years...never a problem.

I’m attempting to download and install SP3 through Windows Update.

I use Norton AV 2008 and Zone Alarm Pro. I shutoff Norton auto-protect and
auto live update and I shutoff Zone Alarm during download and install.
Windows Defender continues to run during the install.

I should add, I also unistalled several programs/applications before trying
subsequent download/install attempts of SP3 believing there might be a driver
conflict....this apparently did not help. Thanks again for your expertise.
Gis Bun

Re: Windows Pro fails to start normally after SP3 install
Aside from PA Bear's instructions, my suggestion is to verify all drivers are
current. Same for the BIOS. Then run a clean boot [that means run MSConfig;
in Service tab, hide MS Service and disable all others; in Startup tab,
disable all]. Reboot. Try the setup again.

If fail, contact the free MS SP3 support.

I've installed SP3 on a variety of machines about 15 times with no failures.

Kack wrote:
> [...]
>>> challenged? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. TIA

> Thanks for your help. On a couple of the install attempts I searched the
> log file and did not find SUS_E_DM_NOTDOWNLOADED.
>
> I have not performed any Clean, Repair, or Upgrade Install of WinXP…this
> machine has always ran 5x5 for about 3 years...never a problem.
>
> I’m attempting to download and install SP3 through Windows Update.
>
> I use Norton AV 2008 and Zone Alarm Pro. I shutoff Norton auto-protect
> and
> auto live update and I shutoff Zone Alarm during download and install.
> Windows Defender continues to run during the install.
>
> I should add, I also unistalled several programs/applications before
> trying
> subsequent download/install attempts of SP3 believing there might be a
> driver conflict....this apparently did not help. Thanks again for your

You're welcome. Please open a free SP3 support incident.

Kack

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Kack wrote:
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> 0x80246007
> >> SUS_E_DM_NOTDOWNLOADED
> >> The update has not been downloaded.
> >>
> >> Did you just do a Clean, Repair, or Upgrade Install of WinXP?
> >>
> >> Is this a sudden, new problem?
> >>
> >> Are you attempting to install WinXP SP3 manually or via Windows Update?
> >>

> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> >> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
> >> firewall
> >> (if any)?
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
> >>
> >> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> >> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> >> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> >> "Windows
> >> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

> > Thanks for your help. On a couple of the install attempts I searched the
> > log file and did not find SUS_E_DM_NOTDOWNLOADED.
> >
> > I have not performed any Clean, Repair, or Upgrade Install of WinXP…this
> > machine has always ran 5x5 for about 3 years...never a problem.
> >
> > I’m attempting to download and install SP3 through Windows Update.
> >
> > I use Norton AV 2008 and Zone Alarm Pro. I shutoff Norton auto-protect
> > and
> > auto live update and I shutoff Zone Alarm during download and install.
> > Windows Defender continues to run during the install.
> >
> > I should add, I also unistalled several programs/applications before
> > trying
> > subsequent download/install attempts of SP3 believing there might be a
> > driver conflict....this apparently did not help. Thanks again for your
> > expertise.

> You're welcome. Please open a free SP3 support incident.

Thanks for your help...I'll try exploring the clean boot trouble-shooting
procedures and if necessary, I'll contact SP3 support. Your help and
direction is appreciated.