Security Update for Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP

KateetaK

Security Update for Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP
I am having a problem with an update. It is for - Security Update for Windows
Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156) - and after I try to install
it, it keeps on failing. Does anyone have any idea why this isn't installing
or how I can resolve this problem?
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Security Update for Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for WindowsXP
Was the update obtained via Automatic Updates or did you download it
manually ?
Is the Windows Media Encoder 9 installed ?

*If* the answer to the 2nd question is no, then don't bother with
KB954156, Hide it by UNchecking the box next to it, click OK, then put a
check next to " Do not show me this update again. " in the next window
that pops up.
Click OK.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

KateetaK wrote:

> I am having a problem with an update. It is for - Security Update for Windows
> Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156) - and after I try to install
> it, it keeps on failing. Does anyone have any idea why this isn't installing
> or how I can resolve this problem?

DannyC

RE: Security Update for Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP
I'm having the same issue......

"KateetaK" wrote:

> I am having a problem with an update. It is for - Security Update for Windows
> Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156) - and after I try to install
> it, it keeps on failing. Does anyone have any idea why this isn't installing
> or how I can resolve this problem?

Re: Security Update for Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB954156).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

KateetaK wrote:
> I am having a problem with an update. It is for - Security Update for
> Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156) - and after I try
> to install it, it keeps on failing. Does anyone have any idea why this
> isn't installing or how I can resolve this problem?

sparklingone

RE: Security Update for Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP
I'm having the same problem too. I've sent an e-mail off to microsoft. Thanks
for posting the information, PA Bear on how to contact them about this proble.

Sparklingone

"KateetaK" wrote:

> I am having a problem with an update. It is for - Security Update for Windows
> Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156) - and after I try to install
> it, it keeps on failing. Does anyone have any idea why this isn't installing
> or how I can resolve this problem?

Ottmar Freudenberger

"KateetaK" <KateetaK@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

>I am having a problem with an update. It is for - Security Update for Windows
> Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156) - and after I try to install
> it, it keeps on failing.

Yup may want to have a look into the "KB954156.log" file to be found
in the Windows folder.

In case you'll find lines like:

| Windows Media Encoder must be on your machine before this software
| update can be installed. Please install Windows Media Encoder and
| launch this software update again.

Windows Media Encoder has been installed and "uninstalled" somehow.
Since KB954156 is for Windows Media Encoder 9 only, it requires the
installation of Windows Media Encoder 9. In case you don't have the
Encoder installed (any longer), there's no need to install the update.

If the update is still offered to system which does not have WME9
installed (any longer), please try to delete the folder "Windows
Media Components" which is most likely (still) present in the
"Program Files" folder. After deleting the folder (keep it in the
Recycle Bin for a while) run a user defined search on the Windows
Update site (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com). Is KB954156 still
beeing offered on the Windows Update site?

Have you "moved" the Program Files folder onto another dirve/partition
other than the one on which the Windows folder resides?

Bye,
Freudi
Rosie

Re: Security Update for Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows
I do not see a WM PLAYER 9 in my Add/Remove screen..I just see WMP 11 ... so
I guess I do not need this UPDATE??? I have UNchecked the KB954156 Update.
HOPE this is right... it seems to stop it trying to UPDATE!

"Ottmar Freudenberger" <freudi@gmx.net> schrieb:
> "KateetaK" <KateetaK@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
>>I am having a problem with an update. It is for - Security Update for Windows
>> Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156) - and after I try to install
>> it, it keeps on failing.

> Yup may want to have a look into the "KB954156.log" file to be found
> in the Windows folder.
>
> In case you'll find lines like:
>
> | Windows Media Encoder must be on your machine before this software
> | update can be installed. Please install Windows Media Encoder and
> | launch this software update again.
>
> Windows Media Encoder has been installed and "uninstalled" somehow.
> Since KB954156 is for Windows Media Encoder 9 only, it requires the
> installation of Windows Media Encoder 9. In case you don't have the
> Encoder installed (any longer), there's no need to install the update.

Just in case of failing KB954156 installations:
Check the presence and content of the "Version" key in the registry
under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Media\Encoder

If the value of the "Version" key there is showing anything else
than "9.00.2980" (at least beginning whith "9"), KB954156 will fail.

In the meantime i've seen postings elsewhere which stated that
even in case Windows Media Encoder *7* has been installed (a long
time ago), KB954156 is beeing offered to these systems. The result
is a failing installation. In case you'll find a "Windows Media
Encoder 7" entry under "Software" in the Control Panel, I would
recommend uninstalling that one. In case you can't uninstall the
ancient version, download and install "Windows Media Encoder 9"
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-b2f1182cdf24
And KB954156 afterwards.

FWIW,
Freudi

Re: Security Update for Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows
Windows Media Player 9 and Windows Media Encoder 9 are not the same thing.

cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Encoder

cf.
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS/WIN...R/DEFAULT.MSPX
--
~PA Bear

Rosie wrote:
> I do not see a WM PLAYER 9 in my Add/Remove screen..I just see WMP 11 ...
> so
> I guess I do not need this UPDATE??? I have UNchecked the KB954156 Update.
> HOPE this is right... it seems to stop it trying to UPDATE!
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Was the update obtained via Automatic Updates or did you download it
>> manually ?
>> Is the Windows Media Encoder 9 installed ?
>>
>> *If* the answer to the 2nd question is no, then don't bother with
>> KB954156, Hide it by UNchecking the box next to it, click OK, then put a
>> check next to " Do not show me this update again. " in the next window
>> that pops up.
>> Click OK.
>>

>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>>

>> KateetaK wrote:
>>
>>> I am having a problem with an update. It is for - Security Update for
>>> Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156) - and after I
>>> try to install it, it keeps on failing. Does anyone have any idea why
>>> this isn't installing or how I can resolve this problem?

KEN R