KB954156

tatterrag

KB954156
Todays release contains a security update KB954156

This fails to install due to the fact the file size is 0kb so
definitely an error on microsofts part in pointing to the
correct file to download!

Re: KB954156
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.

Are you attempting to install this update manually or via Windows Update?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

tatterrag wrote:
> Todays release contains a security update KB954156
>
> This fails to install due to the fact the file size is 0kb so
> definitely an error on microsofts part in pointing to the
> correct file to download!

Schaef

Re: KB954156
Same issue - I'm running WinXP SP3. The update downloads but fails to
install; error code is 0x8007F0F4

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> posting to this newsgroup, please.
>
> Are you attempting to install this update manually or via Windows Update?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> tatterrag wrote:
> > Todays release contains a security update KB954156
> >
> > This fails to install due to the fact the file size is 0kb so
> > definitely an error on microsofts part in pointing to the
> > correct file to download!

Shenan Stanley

Re: KB954156

Schaef wrote:
> Same issue - I'm running WinXP SP3. The update downloads but fails
> to install; error code is 0x8007F0F4

The 0kb does not point to a problem - it points to accurately telling you
that the file is already downloaded and all that is needed to install it.
The problem is on your machine.

As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If it fails, try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

wineman

Re: KB954156
Same Problem here.. Running XP 5.1.2600 SP3 with IE7 7.0.5730.11 Trying to
install update KB954156.. I get error 0x8007F0F4

"Schaef" wrote:

> Same issue - I'm running WinXP SP3. The update downloads but fails to
> install; error code is 0x8007F0F4
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> > posting to this newsgroup, please.
> >
> > Are you attempting to install this update manually or via Windows Update?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >
> > tatterrag wrote:
> > > Todays release contains a security update KB954156
> > >
> > > This fails to install due to the fact the file size is 0kb so
> > > definitely an error on microsofts part in pointing to the
> > > correct file to download!

Re: KB954156
STATUS_PREREQUISITE_FAILED

Same update or...?

Same question:
>> Are you attempting to install this update manually or via Windows Update?

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB954156).

your usual support contacts.
--
~PA Bear

Schaef wrote:
> Same issue - I'm running WinXP SP3. The update downloads but fails to
> install; error code is 0x8007F0F4
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup, please.
>>
>> Are you attempting to install this update manually or via Windows Update?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> tatterrag wrote:
>>> Todays release contains a security update KB954156
>>>
>>> This fails to install due to the fact the file size is 0kb so
>>> definitely an error on microsofts part in pointing to the
>>> correct file to download!

Shenan Stanley

Re: KB954156
wineman wrote:
> Same Problem here.. Running XP 5.1.2600 SP3 with IE7 7.0.5730.11
> Trying to install update KB954156.. I get error 0x8007F0F4

The same solution as posted many times...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

wineman

Re: KB954156
was trying to install it via Automatic update...

Tried Method 1 without success.. same problem exists. was going to try
Method 2, but dont know how to tell whether I have x86 or x64 based system.
How can I tell? Sorry for the "dumb" ?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> STATUS_PREREQUISITE_FAILED
>
> Same update or...?
>
> Same question:
> >> Are you attempting to install this update manually or via Windows Update?

> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB954156).

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Schaef wrote:
> > Same issue - I'm running WinXP SP3. The update downloads but fails to
> > install; error code is 0x8007F0F4
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup, please.
> >>
> >> Are you attempting to install this update manually or via Windows Update?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Shenan Stanley

Re: KB954156
wineman wrote:
> was trying to install it via Automatic update...
>
> Tried Method 1 without success.. same problem exists. was going to
> try Method 2, but dont know how to tell whether I have x86 or x64
> based system. How can I tell? Sorry for the "dumb" ?

If you don't know - you likely have 32bit - x86...
(It wouldn't install even if you got the wrong version.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

cdp

Re: KB954156

I had same problem.

You must have Windows Media Encoder 9 installed before the update will
install. After I downloaded and installed Windows Media Encoder 9 the
update installed and all is good now

--
cdp
cdp's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/cdp.htm