Windows update locks up

Rob Frey

Windows update locks up
I have an E6700 CPU chip with 4 Gig RAM, PCIE ATI 1900's and Microsoft Vista
Ultimate for an OS. When I click on "Control Panel / Windows Update" or
place the following command in the Run Window, "control.exe /name
Microsoft.Windows Update", I get a blank explorer window opened with
"Control Panel \ Windows Update" in the address bar and nothing else. I let
it sit for quite a while hoping it was just busy or something. No good.
When I want to close the window I have to do it using Task Manager / End
Task. Has anybody else experienced this behavior and what did you do about
it?

It is a fairly recent phenomenon, however, I am unable to track it to a
single event or installation.

Thank You in advance for your reply to this inquiry.

Rob
San Diego, Ca. USA
TaurArian

Re: Windows update locks up
Windows Update Freezes -

<quote>

Try this:

Start cmd.exe as administrator (right-click and select run as administrator)
at the command prompt type
net stop wuauclt
net stop bits

You will see the services stop.
delete the folder c:\windows\softwaredistribution (you can rename it if you
want). Then start the services:

net start wuauclt
net start bits

then try again and see if it works.

Eddie Bowers
Security Support
Microsoft Corporation

<quote>

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Rob Frey" <robf@officethread.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an E6700 CPU chip with 4 Gig RAM, PCIE ATI 1900's and Microsoft
>Vista
> Ultimate for an OS. When I click on "Control Panel / Windows Update" or
> place the following command in the Run Window, "control.exe /name
> Microsoft.Windows Update", I get a blank explorer window opened with
> "Control Panel \ Windows Update" in the address bar and nothing else. I
> let
> it sit for quite a while hoping it was just busy or something. No good.
> When I want to close the window I have to do it using Task Manager / End
> Task. Has anybody else experienced this behavior and what did you do
> about
> it?
>
> It is a fairly recent phenomenon, however, I am unable to track it to a
> single event or installation.
>
> Thank You in advance for your reply to this inquiry.
>
> Rob
> San Diego, Ca. USA

Rob

Re: Windows update locks up
TaurArian,

I did exactly as you had suggested.

From the command line as an administrator I entered "net stop wuauclt".
It returned "System error 1060 has occurred" "The specified serviced does
not exist as an installed service"

Next from the command line as an administrator I entered "net stop bits".
It returned "The background intelligent transfer service service is
stopping" [The word service is used twice by MS]
Under Services.msc it showed the service as stopping.
After a time out period it returned "The Background Intelligent Transfer
service service could not be stopped"

When that did not work I tried to shutdown the services by hand in
services.msc, as an administrator.
The Windows Update service returned "Error 1053: The service did not respond
to the start or control request in a timely fashion"
The Background Intelligent Transfer Service timed out exactly as before.

Thank you for the suggestion. If you have anymore I am willing to try.

Regards,

R. Frey
San Diego, Ca.

"TaurArian" <taurarian@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Windows Update Freezes -
>
> <quote>
>
> Try this:
>
> Start cmd.exe as administrator (right-click and select run as
> administrator)
> at the command prompt type
> net stop wuauclt
> net stop bits
>
> You will see the services stop.
> delete the folder c:\windows\softwaredistribution (you can rename it if
> you
> want). Then start the services:
>
> net start wuauclt
> net start bits
>
> then try again and see if it works.
>
> Eddie Bowers
> Security Support
> Microsoft Corporation

> rights.
>
> <quote>
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Rob Frey" <robf@officethread.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have an E6700 CPU chip with 4 Gig RAM, PCIE ATI 1900's and Microsoft
>>Vista
>> Ultimate for an OS. When I click on "Control Panel / Windows Update" or
>> place the following command in the Run Window, "control.exe /name
>> Microsoft.Windows Update", I get a blank explorer window opened with
>> "Control Panel \ Windows Update" in the address bar and nothing else. I
>> let
>> it sit for quite a while hoping it was just busy or something. No good.
>> When I want to close the window I have to do it using Task Manager / End
>> Task. Has anybody else experienced this behavior and what did you do
>> about
>> it?
>>
>> It is a fairly recent phenomenon, however, I am unable to track it to a
>> single event or installation.
>>
>> Thank You in advance for your reply to this inquiry.
>>
>> Rob
>> San Diego, Ca. USA

TaurArian

Re: Windows update locks up
The only other suggestion as it is a recent event, perhaps a system restore.
--
--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009

"Rob" wrote:

> [...]
> >>I have an E6700 CPU chip with 4 Gig RAM, PCIE ATI 1900's and Microsoft
> >>Vista
> >> Ultimate for an OS. When I click on "Control Panel / Windows Update" or
> >> place the following command in the Run Window, "control.exe /name
> >> Microsoft.Windows Update", I get a blank explorer window opened with
> >> "Control Panel \ Windows Update" in the address bar and nothing else. I
> >> let
> >> it sit for quite a while hoping it was just busy or something. No good.
> >> When I want to close the window I have to do it using Task Manager / End
> >> Task. Has anybody else experienced this behavior and what did you do
> >> about
> >> it?
> >>
> >> It is a fairly recent phenomenon, however, I am unable to track it to a
> >> single event or installation.
> >>
> >> Thank You in advance for your reply to this inquiry.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Windows update locks up
"Rob" <robfrey@san.rr.com> wrote in message

> Next from the command line as an administrator I entered "net stop bits".
> It returned "The background intelligent transfer service service is
> stopping" [The word service is used twice by MS]

If those four words were capitalized you would see why. ; )

> Under Services.msc it showed the service as stopping.
> After a time out period it returned "The Background Intelligent Transfer
> service service could not be stopped"
>
> When that did not work I tried to shutdown the services by hand in
> services.msc, as an administrator.
> The Windows Update service returned "Error 1053: The service did not respond
> to the start or control request in a timely fashion"
> The Background Intelligent Transfer Service timed out exactly as before.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion. If you have anymore I am willing to try.

Try using the bitsadmin command. First use it as a diagnostic:

bitsadmin /util /version /verbose

You can also try using it as a repair tool.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---