unable to access windows update

mrsjh78

unable to access windows update
I am ready to tear out my hair. I got about 15 trojan viruses on my computer
on Friday. I am running Windows XP w/SP3. This is my first time in the
forum so I apologize if I'm not doing this correctly. Everytime I try to
access windows update, I get one of 2 error messages. One is 0x8ddd0010, the
other 0x8024402c. I have tried ALL of the resolutions and nothing is
working. When my anitvirus quarantined the viruses, I was only able to
delete the infected files, not restore them. I can't do a system restore
either. How can I fix this mess. Please can someone out there HELP ME
PLEASE!!!
Peter Foldes

Re: unable to access windows update
If I were in your shoes I would flatten (reformat) the system. From the sound of what you have posted that would be the best thing at this point for you.

--
Peter

"mrsjh78" <mrsjh78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BDC81E8E-D6D6-40AC-B30C-1866A117119A@microsoft.com...
>I am ready to tear out my hair. I got about 15 trojan viruses on my computer
> on Friday. I am running Windows XP w/SP3. This is my first time in the
> forum so I apologize if I'm not doing this correctly. Everytime I try to
> access windows update, I get one of 2 error messages. One is 0x8ddd0010, the
> other 0x8024402c. I have tried ALL of the resolutions and nothing is
> working. When my anitvirus quarantined the viruses, I was only able to
> delete the infected files, not restore them. I can't do a system restore
> either. How can I fix this mess. Please can someone out there HELP ME
> PLEASE!!!

Re: unable to access windows update
Windows Update will NOT work as long as the machine's still infected.
Judging by the ever-increasing number of posts here in the past few months
that are similar to yours, the behavior may be due to a Vundo-ZLOB-SDBot
infection, all protected by a rootkit infection.

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

mrsjh78 wrote:
> I am ready to tear out my hair. I got about 15 trojan viruses on my
> computer on Friday. I am running Windows XP w/SP3. This is my first time
> in the forum so I apologize if I'm not doing this correctly. Everytime I
> try to access windows update, I get one of 2 error messages. One is
> 0x8ddd0010, the other 0x8024402c. I have tried ALL of the resolutions and
> nothing is working. When my anitvirus quarantined the viruses, I was only
> able to delete the infected files, not restore them. I can't do a system
> restore either. How can I fix this mess. Please can someone out there
> HELP ME PLEASE!!!

mrsjh78

Re: unable to access windows update
I do run Trend Micro as my virus protection..and I know that HijackThis is
one of their programs also...is this something that I can fix myself or is it
better to have someone do it...reputable..of course...Thanks for responding!!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Windows Update will NOT work as long as the machine's still infected.
> Judging by the ever-increasing number of posts here in the past few months
> that are similar to yours, the behavior may be due to a Vundo-ZLOB-SDBot
> infection, all protected by a rootkit infection.
>
> Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> mrsjh78 wrote:
> > I am ready to tear out my hair. I got about 15 trojan viruses on my
> > computer on Friday. I am running Windows XP w/SP3. This is my first time
> > in the forum so I apologize if I'm not doing this correctly. Everytime I
> > try to access windows update, I get one of 2 error messages. One is
> > 0x8ddd0010, the other 0x8024402c. I have tried ALL of the resolutions and
> > nothing is working. When my anitvirus quarantined the viruses, I was only
> > able to delete the infected files, not restore them. I can't do a system
> > restore either. How can I fix this mess. Please can someone out there
> > HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Re: unable to access windows update
HijackThis doesn't fix anything on its own, it's merely a tool we use to
diagnose an infection.

Post your HijackThis log in an appropriate forum (not here) for review by an
expert, whose help you will certainly need to address the problem.
--
~PA Bear

mrsjh78 wrote:
> I do run Trend Micro as my virus protection..and I know that HijackThis is
> one of their programs also...is this something that I can fix myself or is
> it better to have someone do it...reputable..of course...Thanks for
> responding!!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Windows Update will NOT work as long as the machine's still infected.
>> Judging by the ever-increasing number of posts here in the past few
>> months
>> that are similar to yours, the behavior may be due to a Vundo-ZLOB-SDBot
>> infection, all protected by a rootkit infection.
>>
>> Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
>> log
>> to an appropriate forum.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
>> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
>> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
>>
>> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
>> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
>> (in conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
>> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
>> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
>> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for
>> review
>> by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting

>> Support for Windows Update:

>> in
>> with
>> security updates.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> mrsjh78 wrote:
>>> I am ready to tear out my hair. I got about 15 trojan viruses on my
>>> computer on Friday. I am running Windows XP w/SP3. This is my first
>>> time
>>> in the forum so I apologize if I'm not doing this correctly. Everytime
>>> try to access windows update, I get one of 2 error messages. One is
>>> 0x8ddd0010, the other 0x8024402c. I have tried ALL of the resolutions
>>> and
>>> nothing is working. When my anitvirus quarantined the viruses, I was
>>> only
>>> able to delete the infected files, not restore them. I can't do a
>>> system
>>> restore either. How can I fix this mess. Please can someone out there
>>> HELP ME PLEASE!!!

TaurArian

Re: unable to access windows update
That's what I would do. It's quicker than trying to pick the crap out of the
system.

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org