How to reinstall Windows Update v6?

Froglips

How to reinstall Windows Update v6?
Windows Vista Business w/SP1

Windows Update issues (won't install Vista update)

Folder: Windows/Downloaded Programs has several programs listed that need
help.

{6414512B-...} status is Damaged. This is part of the Windows Update
codebase. How do I reinstall Windows Update?

PlxInstall Class syatus is Installed. This is for Plaxo, a Outlook
synchronization tool. It is not installed and not listed in the Add/Remove
programs list. However, I can not reinstall it, I assume because my PC
thinks it is already installed. How do you delete things listed in this
downloaded programs folder?

Re: How to reinstall Windows Update v6?
Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?

(if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when you
installed Vista SP1?

What update(s) will not install? Post any error messages associated with
the failed installs in their entirety.

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue (which is
47830).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Froglips wrote:
> Windows Vista Business w/SP1
>
> Windows Update issues (won't install Vista update)
>
> Folder: Windows/Downloaded Programs has several programs listed that need
> help.
>
> {6414512B-...} status is Damaged. This is part of the Windows Update
> codebase. How do I reinstall Windows Update?
>
> PlxInstall Class syatus is Installed. This is for Plaxo, a Outlook
> synchronization tool. It is not installed and not listed in the
> Add/Remove
> programs list. However, I can not reinstall it, I assume because my PC
> thinks it is already installed. How do you delete things listed in this
> downloaded programs folder?

Froglips

Re: How to reinstall Windows Update v6?
Vista SP1 installed from CD.

Computer Associates Internet Security Suite 2007 (Roadrunner version)
installed but disabled for reinstallation of Vista (clean boot as directed by
MS Support).

Update for Windows Vista (KB947562) fails to install. Code 8024200D
Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed Vista SP1?
>
> What update(s) will not install? Post any error messages associated with
> the failed installs in their entirety.

> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).
>
> If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
> above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue (which is
> 47830).

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>

> Froglips wrote:
> > Windows Vista Business w/SP1
> >
> > Windows Update issues (won't install Vista update)
> >
> > Folder: Windows/Downloaded Programs has several programs listed that need
> > help.
> >
> > {6414512B-...} status is Damaged. This is part of the Windows Update
> > codebase. How do I reinstall Windows Update?
> >
> > PlxInstall Class syatus is Installed. This is for Plaxo, a Outlook
> > synchronization tool. It is not installed and not listed in the
> > Add/Remove
> > programs list. However, I can not reinstall it, I assume because my PC
> > thinks it is already installed. How do you delete things listed in this
> > downloaded programs folder?

Froglips

Re: How to reinstall Windows Update v6?
Attempting to use https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
results in an Unknown application error please try again later.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed Vista SP1?
>
> What update(s) will not install? Post any error messages associated with
> the failed installs in their entirety.

> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).
>
> If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
> above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue (which is
> 47830).

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>

> Froglips wrote:
> > Windows Vista Business w/SP1
> >
> > Windows Update issues (won't install Vista update)
> >
> > Folder: Windows/Downloaded Programs has several programs listed that need
> > help.
> >
> > {6414512B-...} status is Damaged. This is part of the Windows Update
> > codebase. How do I reinstall Windows Update?
> >
> > PlxInstall Class syatus is Installed. This is for Plaxo, a Outlook
> > synchronization tool. It is not installed and not listed in the
> > Add/Remove
> > programs list. However, I can not reinstall it, I assume because my PC
> > thinks it is already installed. How do you delete things listed in this
> > downloaded programs folder?

Re: How to reinstall Windows Update v6?
Why did you have occasion to reinstall Vista SP1 and how did you do it? Was
the machine originally running Vista Business SP1 or another version/SP
level of Vista or an earlier version of Windows (e.g., WinXP)?

KB947562 is not a security update so you don't qualify for free support.
Since you didn't install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually, you don't
qualify for free Vista SP1 compatibility support either. (The link works
fine for me.) You mention MS Support: Did you have a (free) support
incident and Case Number? If so, you might be able to continue that support
incident now.

Does KB947562 install if you temporarily disable CA anti-virus & firewall
and then enable the Windows Firewall?

Can you successfully download/install KB947562 manually? See links here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947562

PS: Also see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956703 (ignore the title)

--
~PA Bear

Froglips wrote:
> Vista SP1 installed from CD.
>
> Computer Associates Internet Security Suite 2007 (Roadrunner version)
> installed but disabled for reinstallation of Vista (clean boot as directed
> by MS Support).
>
> Update for Windows Vista (KB947562) fails to install. Code 8024200D
> Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

<paste>
> Attempting to use
> results in an Unknown application error please try again later.

</paste>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>> firewall
>> (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when
>> you installed Vista SP1?
>>
>> What update(s) will not install? Post any error messages associated with
>> the failed installs in their entirety.

>> Support for Windows Update:

>> in
>> with
>> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
>> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
>> KB123456).
>>
>> If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
>> above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue (which
>> is
>> 47830).
>>
>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
>> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
>> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>> through
>> your usual support contacts.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>>

>> Froglips wrote:
>>> Windows Vista Business w/SP1
>>>
>>> Windows Update issues (won't install Vista update)
>>>
>>> Folder: Windows/Downloaded Programs has several programs listed that
>>> need
>>> help.
>>>
>>> {6414512B-...} status is Damaged. This is part of the Windows Update
>>> codebase. How do I reinstall Windows Update?
>>>
>>> PlxInstall Class syatus is Installed. This is for Plaxo, a Outlook
>>> synchronization tool. It is not installed and not listed in the
>>> Add/Remove
>>> programs list. However, I can not reinstall it, I assume because my PC
>>> thinks it is already installed. How do you delete things listed in this
>>> downloaded programs folder?

Froglips

Re: How to reinstall Windows Update v6?
Original upgrade from XP Pro ended badly. I can not access most of my
programs from my logon and have to Run as Administrator to get them to
launch. I ran a number of batch programs provided by the Support Desk but
nothing helped. Support finally concluded that my install was corrupted
despite the fact that it appeared to have gone normally. The wanted me to
reinstall but that option was greyed out. I had to "upgrade" (SP1 install)
to be able to attempt the reinstall. Unfortunately that made matters much
worse. Many programs will not run now. I have tried reinstalling the
programs but many, such as the Computer Assoc. Security Suite, will not
install. I fear I need to do a clean install which will mean weeks of work
to regain full use of my PC.

I have been attempting to reengage MS Support but they do not respond to my
emails now. Fairly frustrated.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> >> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
> >> KB123456).
> >>
> >> If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
> >> above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue (which
> >> is
> >> 47830).
> >>
> >> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
> >> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
> >> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> >>
> >> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> >> through
> >> your usual support contacts.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)

I'd throw in the towel on this one, too.

Either format & do a clean install of WinXP, or format and install Vista
using a full retail version (not the upgrade version).
--
~PA Bear