Windows Vista Service Pac 1 update for one computer

Birdwoman

Windows Vista Service Pac 1 update for one computer
My computer crashed and when I restarted, I was told that the reason for the
crash could be solved by installing this update. However the update site also
says DO NOT INSTALL for only one computer (my case) that there is a more
appropriate update on the Windows Update site. But all my updates from there
are done; can anyone tell me if I should update this pac, even though it is
only for one computer???
Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows Vista Service Pac 1 update for one computer
Birdwoman wrote:
> My computer crashed and when I restarted, I was told that the
> reason for the crash could be solved by installing this update.
> However the update site also says DO NOT INSTALL for only one
> computer (my case) that there is a more appropriate update on the
> Windows Update site. But all my updates from there are done; can
> anyone tell me if I should update this pac, even though it is only
> for one computer???

You are speaking of the IT Professional Version of Windows Vista Service
Pack 1.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)

.... and this sentence on that page:

"DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller,
more appropriate download is available on Windows Update."

I strongly believe that sentence is way over-the-top. It should be a
warning - but instead, it is a demand. You are more than welcome to
download that 'version' of Windows Vista SP1 to install onto your WIndows
Vista computer and use it. The "smaller, more appropriate download" that is
available is merely the Windows Update web page scanning your computer for
the updates you already installed that are included in the service pack and
not downloading those parts of the SP1 package for you - saving you
possibily some time downloading. There is no actual difference.

Some questions you can answer to help narrow the field on someone
recommending if you download the IT Professional download of Windows Vista
SP1 and installing it directly...

- Has Windows Vista SP1 ever been installed on your computer?

- Do you use automatic updates?
- Has Windows Vista SP1 ever been offered by Automatic Updates?

If *yes* to all three - I don't think anyone would have an issue telling you
to download and install SP1 for Windows Vista - even as a novice. If *no*
to any one of those - further investigation would likely be required for
anyone to confidently recommend that you, as a novice, install the IT
Professional download of SP1 for Windows Vista.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Windows Vista Service Pac 1 update for one computer
Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Birdwoman wrote:
> My computer crashed and when I restarted, I was told that the reason for
> the
> crash could be solved by installing this update. However the update site
> also says DO NOT INSTALL for only one computer (my case) that there is a
> more appropriate update on the Windows Update site. But all my updates
> from
> there are done; can anyone tell me if I should update this pac, even
> though
> it is only for one computer???

Birdwoman

Re: Windows Vista Service Pac 1 update for one computer
Thanks Shenan,

I do do my Windows updates regularly; and it showed no new updates to be
downloaded when I ran it right after getting this message; so does that mean
that installing the service pack won't give me anything useful (to stop a
crash like I had?)

I am a nervous nellie when it comes to installing stuff that isn't useful
(if it works, don't break it,.. etc)

Cheers
Birdwoman
"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Birdwoman wrote:
> > My computer crashed and when I restarted, I was told that the
> > reason for the crash could be solved by installing this update.
> > However the update site also says DO NOT INSTALL for only one
> > computer (my case) that there is a more appropriate update on the
> > Windows Update site. But all my updates from there are done; can
> > anyone tell me if I should update this pac, even though it is only
> > for one computer???

> You are speaking of the IT Professional Version of Windows Vista Service
> Pack 1.
>
> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)
>
> .... and this sentence on that page:
>
> "DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller,
> more appropriate download is available on Windows Update."
>
> I strongly believe that sentence is way over-the-top. It should be a
> warning - but instead, it is a demand. You are more than welcome to
> download that 'version' of Windows Vista SP1 to install onto your WIndows
> Vista computer and use it. The "smaller, more appropriate download" that is
> available is merely the Windows Update web page scanning your computer for
> the updates you already installed that are included in the service pack and
> not downloading those parts of the SP1 package for you - saving you
> possibily some time downloading. There is no actual difference.
>
> Some questions you can answer to help narrow the field on someone
> recommending if you download the IT Professional download of Windows Vista
> SP1 and installing it directly...
>
> - Has Windows Vista SP1 ever been installed on your computer?
>
> - Do you use automatic updates?
> - Has Windows Vista SP1 ever been offered by Automatic Updates?
>
> If *yes* to all three - I don't think anyone would have an issue telling you
> to download and install SP1 for Windows Vista - even as a novice. If *no*
> to any one of those - further investigation would likely be required for
> anyone to confidently recommend that you, as a novice, install the IT
> Professional download of SP1 for Windows Vista.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Windows Vista Service Pac 1 update for one computer
> I do do my Windows updates regularly; and it showed no new updates to be
> downloaded when I ran it right after getting this message

Most of us would not recommend installing Vista SP1 manually unless and
until it's offered by Windows Update. See...

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 [may not be] available for installation from
Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343
--
~PA Bear