Error 0x8007000B

Jason

Error 0x8007000B
I have re-formatted my Laptop.
Currently trying to update my Windows, unfortunately failed and prompt me
Error number: 0x8007000B

What does that means?

Re: Error 0x8007000B
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.

Error message when you try to install updates on a Windows Vista-based
computer by using Windows Update or when you try to perform a backup: "Code
0x8007000b":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939399
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jason wrote:
> I have re-formatted my Laptop.
> Currently trying to update my Windows, unfortunately failed and prompt me
> Error number: 0x8007000B
>
> What does that means?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error 0x8007000B
0x8007000B COR_E_BADIMAGEFORMAT

Error message when you use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web
site to install updates: "0x8007000B"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956699

If the above KB article doesn't resolve the issue, suggest you attempt a
manual installation of the latest Version of the Windows Update Agent:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1172

Download the appropriate WUA and *save* it.
Move it to the root drive, usually C:\
Install it from an Elevated Command Prompt after stopping the Windows
Update and BITS services.
Start Search > enter command > click Search
Right click command and choose 'Run as administrator'. Follow the prompts.
At the Command Prompt, type in the below *exactly* as written, pressing
Enter afer each command

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce
net start bits
net start wuauserv
exit

Reboot the system and see if it can update now.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Jason wrote:

> I have re-formatted my Laptop.
> Currently trying to update my Windows, unfortunately failed and prompt me
> Error number: 0x8007000B
>
> What does that means?

Jason

Re: Error 0x8007000B
Thx PA Bear.
My Windows version is Windows XP service Pack 1 apparently.

In fact my last time re-formatted, it allowed me to update as normal. But
this time, it prompted me the error number 0x8007000B.

Wondering you have any solution.
Thanks

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> posting to this newsgroup, please.
>
> Error message when you try to install updates on a Windows Vista-based
> computer by using Windows Update or when you try to perform a backup: "Code
> 0x8007000b":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939399
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Jason wrote:
> > I have re-formatted my Laptop.
> > Currently trying to update my Windows, unfortunately failed and prompt me
> > Error number: 0x8007000B
> >
> > What does that means?

Jason

Re: Error 0x8007000B
Thanks MowGreen.
Have tried on your solution. However, the error number 0x8007000B still
persist.

Is that some of my file corrupted during my re-formatting time.

Btw, my windows version is Windows XP service pack 1

Thanks
Jason

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 0x8007000B COR_E_BADIMAGEFORMAT
>
> Error message when you use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web
> site to install updates: "0x8007000B"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956699
>
> If the above KB article doesn't resolve the issue, suggest you attempt a
> manual installation of the latest Version of the Windows Update Agent:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1172
>
> Download the appropriate WUA and *save* it.
> Move it to the root drive, usually C:\
> Install it from an Elevated Command Prompt after stopping the Windows
> Update and BITS services.
> Start Search > enter command > click Search
> Right click command and choose 'Run as administrator'. Follow the prompts.
> At the Command Prompt, type in the below *exactly* as written, pressing
> Enter afer each command
>
> net stop wuauserv
> net stop bits
> c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce
> net start bits
> net start wuauserv
> exit
>
> Reboot the system and see if it can update now.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Jason wrote:
>
> > I have re-formatted my Laptop.
> > Currently trying to update my Windows, unfortunately failed and prompt me
> > Error number: 0x8007000B
> >
> > What does that means?

Re: Error 0x8007000B
Try Method 2 here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

If you still have problems, download/install WinXP SP3 manually (yes, skip
SP2) using the link below, reboot twice, then check in at Windows Update to
install any critical security updates offered.

Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1e1555d4f3d4

~PA Bear

Jason wrote:
> Thx PA Bear.
> My Windows version is Windows XP service Pack 1 apparently.
>
> In fact my last time re-formatted, it allowed me to update as normal. But
> this time, it prompted me the error number 0x8007000B.
>
> Wondering you have any solution.
> Thanks
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup, please.
>>
>> Error message when you try to install updates on a Windows Vista-based
>> computer by using Windows Update or when you try to perform a backup:
>> "Code
>> 0x8007000b":
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939399
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Jason wrote:
>>> I have re-formatted my Laptop.
>>> Currently trying to update my Windows, unfortunately failed and prompt
>>> me
>>> Error number: 0x8007000B
>>>
>>> What does that means?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error 0x8007000B
What is the installed antivirus/security suite ?
Which firewall is being used ?

There is no need to run an Elevated Command Prompt with XP SP1 because
that is only required if your User Account does not have true Admin
privileges, as User Accounts do *not* have true Admin privileges in Vista.

So, please show hidden files, folders, and system files:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp

Using Windows Explorer [Start > (All) Programs > Accessories]
navigate to WINDOWS\system32
Locate cdm.dll. Right click it and choose Properties.
Click the Version tab. It should now be at Version
7.2.6001.784
Do the same for the following to confirm that they are all at the same
Vesion level -

wuapi.dll
wuauclt.exe
wuaueng.dll
wuauserv.dll
wucltui.dll
wups2.dll
wups.dll
wusetup.exe
wuweb.dll

If *any* of the files listed above are at a different Version level than
7.2.6001.784, then please tell us which one.
Next, open the WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files subfolder.
Locate WUWebClass, right click it, and choose Update.
Now right click WUWebClass once more, choose Properties.
Click the Version tab. It show show as Version 7.2.6001.784.

Now go to Start > Run > type in cmd
Click OK or press Enter
At the Command Prompt, type in the following commands pressing Enter
after *each one*

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits

*** Leave the Command window open for now ***

Open Windows Explorer once more and navigate to
WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
*Delete* DataStore.edb

Now open WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download
*Delete all contents* of Download

Back in the Command window, enter these commands, pressing Enter after
*each one*

net start wuauserv
net start bits
exit

Reboot the system and see if it can update now. If not then the
installed antivirus\security suite and/or 3rd party software is
preventing the system from communicating with the update servers.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Jason wrote:
> Thanks MowGreen.
> Have tried on your solution. However, the error number 0x8007000B still
> persist.
>
> Is that some of my file corrupted during my re-formatting time.
>
> Btw, my windows version is Windows XP service pack 1
>
> Thanks
> Jason
>

> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>0x8007000B COR_E_BADIMAGEFORMAT
>>
>>Error message when you use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web
>>site to install updates: "0x8007000B"
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956699
>>
>>If the above KB article doesn't resolve the issue, suggest you attempt a
>>manual installation of the latest Version of the Windows Update Agent:
>>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1172
>>
>>Download the appropriate WUA and *save* it.
>>Move it to the root drive, usually C:\
>>Install it from an Elevated Command Prompt after stopping the Windows
>>Update and BITS services.
>>Start Search > enter command > click Search
>>Right click command and choose 'Run as administrator'. Follow the prompts.
>>At the Command Prompt, type in the below *exactly* as written, pressing
>>Enter afer each command
>>
>>net stop wuauserv
>>net stop bits
>>c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce
>>net start bits
>>net start wuauserv
>>exit
>>
>>Reboot the system and see if it can update now.
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>Jason wrote:
>>

>>>I have re-formatted my Laptop.
>>>Currently trying to update my Windows, unfortunately failed and prompt me
>>>Error number: 0x8007000B
>>>
>>>What does that means?

Jarrett

Re: Error 0x8007000B
MowGreen,

I have the same error message as Jason and I have done all the steps you
placed in your last reply post.

My wuauserv.dll file is version 5.43790.5512, not version 7.2.6001.784 as
you stated it should be. Also, wusetup.exe was missing from the
Windows/system32 folder. All other files, include WUWebClass, were the
version you stated.

This problem started when I did a reinstall of Windows XP SP2 and then
upgraded to Windows XP SP3. I also have IE7, ZoneAlarm firewall and avast!
antivirus. I am behind a Linksys router which has a hardware firewall as
well. I tried the DSN changes that other posts have stated, to no effect.

Thanks for your help.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >>manual installation of the latest Version of the Windows Update Agent:
> >>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1172
> >>
> >>Download the appropriate WUA and *save* it.
> >>Move it to the root drive, usually C:\
> >>Install it from an Elevated Command Prompt after stopping the Windows
> >>Update and BITS services.
> >>Start Search > enter command > click Search
> >>Right click command and choose 'Run as administrator'. Follow the prompts.
> >>At the Command Prompt, type in the below *exactly* as written, pressing
> >>Enter afer each command
> >>
> >>net stop wuauserv
> >>net stop bits
> >>c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce
> >>net start bits
> >>net start wuauserv
> >>exit
> >>
> >>Reboot the system and see if it can update now.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error 0x8007000B
Jarrett,

>> My wuauserv.dll file is version 5.43790.5512, not version 7.2.6001.784 as
>> you stated it should be. Also, wusetup.exe was missing from the
>> Windows/system32 folder. All other files, include WUWebClass, were the
>> version you stated.

Some 'thing' is preventing the system from updating the Windows Update
Agent [WUA].

>> This problem started when I did a reinstall of Windows XP SP2 and then
>> upgraded to Windows XP SP3. I also have IE7, ZoneAlarm firewall and avast!
>> antivirus. I am behind a Linksys router which has a hardware firewall as
>> well. I tried the DSN changes that other posts have stated, to no effect.

This is a format and reinstall of XP SP2, correct ? Most likely, ZA is
preventing the updating of the software components required for
updating. Suggest you download the x86 [32bit] version of the WUA from
the links here and *save* it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104/
Or, directly download it from:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe

Once the download completes, close all open programs and browsers.
Move windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe to C:\

*** Disconnect the system from it's net/network connection
and then completely and TOTALLY disable ZA. Either consult their
Help/UserGuide or their website to learn how this is done ***

Now open a command prompt from Start > Run > type in cmd
Click OK or press Enter

At the prompt, type in these commands exactly as written, pushing Enter
after *each* one. Allow windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe to run before
entering the final 3 commands

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe
net start bits
net start wuauserv
exit

Reboot the system. *** Reenable ZA prior to reconnecting the system ***
Now see if the system can access Windows Update.
If it still has an access issue, close Internet Explorer.
Go to Start > Run > type in [ or copy&paste] the below into the Open: line

%windir%\windowsupdate.log
Click OK or press Enter.
Scroll all the way to the bottom of the log and copy&paste the last 50
or so lines into your reply.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten