Service Pack 3

Little John

Service Pack 3
When I try install service pack 3 I get error 0x8007f01e and it will not
install. Why and what do I do now?
Greg

RE: Service Pack 3
When I tried it froze half way through installation. I tried again and the
same thing happened.

"Little John" wrote:

> When I try install service pack 3 I get error 0x8007f01e and it will not
> install. Why and what do I do now?

Janbri

RE: Service Pack 3
Am having similar problems, managed to install on one PC after 2 attempts, it
froze during installation. Second PC gave error message halway
through-'unable to access SP3' Log revealed error code 0 X 80070005, nothing
in knowledge base pertaining to this code.

"Greg" wrote:

> When I tried it froze half way through installation. I tried again and the
> same thing happened.
>
> "Little John" wrote:
>
> > When I try install service pack 3 I get error 0x8007f01e and it will not
> > install. Why and what do I do now?

Janbri

RE: Service Pack 3
I think I have found the problem, it is a registry one so not too good. If
you search the knowledge base thoroughly you will find it eventually but
Microsoft not at all helpful if SP3 is that difficult to install.

"Janbri" wrote:

> Am having similar problems, managed to install on one PC after 2 attempts, it
> froze during installation. Second PC gave error message halway
> through-'unable to access SP3' Log revealed error code 0 X 80070005, nothing
> in knowledge base pertaining to this code.
>
> "Greg" wrote:
>
> > When I tried it froze half way through installation. I tried again and the
> > same thing happened.
> >
> > "Little John" wrote:
> >
> > > When I try install service pack 3 I get error 0x8007f01e and it will not
> > > install. Why and what do I do now?

Re: Service Pack 3
CrystalBall© sez...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

NB: Ignore the title, if necessary; also applies to Upgrade installs, and
Recovery installs.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Little John wrote:
> When I try install service pack 3 I get error 0x8007f01e and it will not
> install. Why and what do I do now?

Janbri

Re: Service Pack 3
Since I have not performed a new Windows XP installation nor repair I do not
think it is relevant in my case. See article 949377 which I think explains
the problem but the first resolution does not work, I haven't yet tried the
second and the third fills me with dread. The title of the article is: Error
messages when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access is
denied" or " Service Pack installation did not complete"

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> CrystalBall© sez...
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> NB: Ignore the title, if necessary; also applies to Upgrade installs, and
> Recovery installs.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Little John wrote:
> > When I try install service pack 3 I get error 0x8007f01e and it will not
> > install. Why and what do I do now?

Re: Service Pack 3
Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access is
denied" or “Service Pack installation did not complete”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Did you get either of the above error messages?

cf.
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...in-windows-xp/

Janbri wrote:
> Since I have not performed a new Windows XP installation nor repair I do
> not
> think it is relevant in my case. See article 949377 which I think explains
> the problem but the first resolution does not work, I haven't yet tried
> the
> second and the third fills me with dread. The title of the article is:
> Error messages when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access
> is
> denied" or " Service Pack installation did not complete"
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> CrystalBall© sez...
>>
>> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
>> Microsoft
>> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
>> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>>
>> NB: Ignore the title, if necessary; also applies to Upgrade installs, and
>> Recovery installs.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Little John wrote:
>>> When I try install service pack 3 I get error 0x8007f01e and it will not
>>> install. Why and what do I do now?

Janbri

Re: Service Pack 3
Yes, I got "Access is denied" just before the installation was complete. In
the article 949377 it tells you how to verify that the registry update has
failed, I followed the procedure which confirms that there is an issue
preventing the registry update. I have downloaded the SP3 from the message
centre even though it recommmended otherwise but have not yet installed it.
I have tried to restore to an earlier time with System Restore but it wont
let me. I did this because I had a message after the failure to Install SP3
which indicated that there may be a problem with Windows XP because of the
reverting back.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access is
> denied" or “Service Pack installation did not complete”
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
>
> Did you get either of the above error messages?
>
> cf.
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...in-windows-xp/

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Janbri wrote:
> > Since I have not performed a new Windows XP installation nor repair I do
> > not
> > think it is relevant in my case. See article 949377 which I think explains
> > the problem but the first resolution does not work, I haven't yet tried
> > the
> > second and the third fills me with dread. The title of the article is:
> > Error messages when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access
> > is
> > denied" or " Service Pack installation did not complete"
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> CrystalBall© sez...
> >>
> >> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
> >> Microsoft
> >> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> >> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> >>
> >> NB: Ignore the title, if necessary; also applies to Upgrade installs, and
> >> Recovery installs.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Service Pack 3
See
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...in-windows-xp/

If you need further assistance, open a free WinXP SP3 support incident (see
my previous reply).