MS update fail error 0x80070002

jh001

MS update fail error 0x80070002
Windows update works fine, but when I click on the "get updates for more
products" button, I get a few Microsoft update pages then a fail,
error code 0x80070002 and that error code is not in the list. This is a new
problem, because up until a few days ago I was getting driver updates as well
as Vista updates.

Any ideas?

Re: MS update fail error 0x80070002
See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e28824ae682cf9
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

jh001 wrote:
> Windows update works fine, but when I click on the "get updates for more
> products" button, I get a few Microsoft update pages then a fail,
> error code 0x80070002 and that error code is not in the list. This is a
> new
> problem, because up until a few days ago I was getting driver updates as
> well as Vista updates.
>
> Any ideas?

jh001

Re: MS update fail error 0x80070002
I have just tried renaming SoftDist, the problem is not with widows update,
as stated. It is with adding the MS update option to Win update, that is
where I get the 80070002 error. I still get the error there, but not on Win
update (I presume win update is ok, it checks and finishes ok).

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e28824ae682cf9

Re: MS update fail error 0x80070002
Keep reading.

jh001 wrote:
> I have just tried renaming SoftDist, the problem is not with widows
> update,
> as stated. It is with adding the MS update option to Win update, that is
> where I get the 80070002 error. I still get the error there, but not on
> Win
> update (I presume win update is ok, it checks and finishes ok).
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> See
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e28824ae682cf9

jh001

Re: MS update fail error 0x80070002
Outstanding.

Once you said to keep reading I realised that is one message from a thread.
Not using google groups, I didn't know that!
The answer posted worked well.

IE actually works much better as well now.....

Thank you.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Keep reading.
>

>http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e28824ae682cf9

jh001

Re: MS update fail error 0x80070002
I found the possible culprit - Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional.

As soon as I reloaded the PDF IE browser extensions, the 80070002 error came
back, disable the Adobe extensions, it's fine.....
Ed Y

Re: MS update fail error 0x80070002
I have the same problem although I don't have Adobe Acrobat 9. I reported
the problem to MS, got assigned a trouble #. After 3 weeks and going thru
various fixes including the last which was "sfc /scannow", the problem still
isn't solved. Latest suggestion from MS is to do a repair install using the
original Vista DVD. Don't have this since Vista was loaded by Acer.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? It would be nice to be able to use
Microsoft Update.

Ed

"jh001" <jh001@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I found the possible culprit - Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional.
>
> As soon as I reloaded the PDF IE browser extensions, the 80070002 error
> came
> back, disable the Adobe extensions, it's fine.....

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: MS update fail error 0x80070002
The Vista 'backup' is on a hidden partition. Check Acer's website to
learn how to run a Repair since they either didn't provide you with a
DVD nor the Guide that show one how to run a Repair from said hidden
partition.
Go here, then click the Guides tab, then click the appropriate icon, eg.
notebook/desktop.
Click on the Product and obtain the Guide.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Ed Y wrote:

> I have the same problem although I don't have Adobe Acrobat 9. I reported
> the problem to MS, got assigned a trouble #. After 3 weeks and going thru
> various fixes including the last which was "sfc /scannow", the problem still
> isn't solved. Latest suggestion from MS is to do a repair install using the
> original Vista DVD. Don't have this since Vista was loaded by Acer.
>
> Does anyone else have any suggestions? It would be nice to be able to use
> Microsoft Update.
>
> Ed
>
> "jh001" <jh001@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>I found the possible culprit - Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional.
>>
>>As soon as I reloaded the PDF IE browser extensions, the 80070002 error
>>came
>>back, disable the Adobe extensions, it's fine.....

jh001

Re: MS update fail error 0x80070002
I tried lots of different fixes, re registering all the DLL files for update,
renaming folders, deleting catroot, restarting BITS etc etc. The only thing
that worked was the suggestion in the link that PA Bear posted here, to
completely reset IE to default and disable all the browser extensions. Then
all I did was re-enable the extensions one at a time....

"Ed Y" wrote:

> I have the same problem although I don't have Adobe Acrobat 9. I reported
> the problem to MS, got assigned a trouble #. After 3 weeks and going thru
> various fixes including the last which was "sfc /scannow", the problem still
> isn't solved. Latest suggestion from MS is to do a repair install using the
> original Vista DVD. Don't have this since Vista was loaded by Acer.
>
> Does anyone else have any suggestions? It would be nice to be able to use
> Microsoft Update.
>
> Ed
>
> "jh001" <jh001@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >I found the possible culprit - Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional.
> >
> > As soon as I reloaded the PDF IE browser extensions, the 80070002 error
> > came
> > back, disable the Adobe extensions, it's fine.....

Re: MS update fail error 0x80070002
Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...t&q=0x80070002

Thanks very much for this feedback! I'm amazed that this PDF plugin had
anything to do with this problem.

Tip: Download/install Adobe (Acrobat) Reader v8.1.2 Security Update 1 and
use it as your default PDF reader:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3967

Alternately, use FoxIt Reader: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php