Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

newsgroup reader strange behavior

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2008
Dr. Dos
 

Posts: n/a
newsgroup reader strange behavior
Every time I look at any Windows NG, my browser asks if I
want to subscribe to it. Obviously, I have already
subscribed to it because it is in my newsgroup list already.
Has microsoft change news group sign-up/subscriptions?
Newsgroup server is msnews.microsoft.com. Newsgroup reader
is Seamonkey 1.11.1.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: newsgroup reader strange behavior
And your Windows Update question is...?

Dr. Dos wrote:
> Every time I look at any Windows NG, my browser asks if I
> want to subscribe to it. Obviously, I have already
> subscribed to it because it is in my newsgroup list already.
> Has microsoft change news group sign-up/subscriptions?
> Newsgroup server is msnews.microsoft.com. Newsgroup reader
> is Seamonkey 1.11.1.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2008
Dr. Dos
 

Posts: n/a
Re: newsgroup reader strange behavior
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> And your Windows Update question is...?
>
> Dr. Dos wrote:
>> Every time I look at any Windows NG, my browser asks if I
>> want to subscribe to it. Obviously, I have already
>> subscribed to it because it is in my newsgroup list already.
>> Has microsoft change news group sign-up/subscriptions?
>> Newsgroup server is msnews.microsoft.com. Newsgroup reader
>> is Seamonkey 1.11.1.


Sorry if I wan jot clear.
Has microsoft changed news group sign-up/subscriptions
protocols? How do I get to stop the same repeated request to
subscribe each and every time I look at (the same)
newsgroups?. This is a new phenomenon for me.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: newsgroup reader strange behavior
Dr. Dos wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> And your Windows Update question is...?
>>
>> Dr. Dos wrote:
>>> Every time I look at any Windows NG, my browser asks if I
>>> want to subscribe to it. Obviously, I have already
>>> subscribed to it because it is in my newsgroup list already.
>>> Has microsoft change news group sign-up/subscriptions?
>>> Newsgroup server is msnews.microsoft.com. Newsgroup reader
>>> is Seamonkey 1.11.1.

>
> Sorry if I wan jot clear.
> Has microsoft changed news group sign-up/subscriptions
> protocols? How do I get to stop the same repeated request to
> subscribe each and every time I look at (the same)
> newsgroups?. This is a new phenomenon for me.


Access to the MS newsserver does not require a subscription or a password so
the repeated prompts to subscribe are coming from Seamonkey, not the
newsserver. Consult Seamonkey support about the issue.

PS: Disable Avast's scanning of incoming/outgoing messages. It provides no
additional protection, it may be causing the problem, and even Symantec says
it's not necessary:

<QP>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</QP>
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...02111812533106
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2008
Dr. DOS
 

Posts: n/a
Re: newsgroup reader strange behavior
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> Access to the MS newsserver does not require a subscription or a
> password so
> the repeated prompts to subscribe are coming from Seamonkey, not the
> newsserver. Consult Seamonkey support about the issue.
>
> PS: Disable Avast's scanning of incoming/outgoing messages. It provides
> no additional protection, it may be causing the problem, and even
> Symantec says it's not necessary:
>


It was Seamonkey. I was advised to remove/delete the msnews
server and all references within the seamonkey "prefs.js"
file, and start all over. Did that and this ng works as
expected. Avast e-mail checking was not at fault, but I have
disabled it.
Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange icon behavior George microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 08-23-2008 06:18
strange folder behavior nuchbutter microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 4 05-19-2008 19:20
Strange behavior Sirius microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 01-06-2008 04:00
Strange CTL-S behavior with VHP and MSWord2007 notachance microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 12-25-2007 14:56
strange behavior A microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-02-2007 02:31




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:53.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120