can't use windows update

Ron

can't use windows update
I have started having a problems windows updates
I can no longer get them. It says some files I need are no longer available
on this computer can anyone help what files do I need is there a way I can
re download whatever files I need?

Ron
Shenan Stanley

Re: can't use windows update
Ron wrote:
> I have started having a problems windows updates
> I can no longer get them. It says some files I need are no longer
> available on this computer can anyone help what files do I need is
> there a way I can re download whatever files I need?

I am sorry to hear your Windows 98/98SE machine will not get updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows ME machine will not get updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows 2000 Professional machine will not get
updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows 2000 Server machine will not get updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows XP Home Edition machine will not get
updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows XP Professional Edition machine will not get
updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows XP Media Center Edition machine will not get
updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows XP Tablet PC Edition machine will not get
updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows XP Professional x64 Edition machine will not
get updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows 2003 Standard (or Web) Edition machine will
not get updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition machine will not get
updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows Vista Home Basic machine will not get
updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows Vista Home Premium machine will not get
updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows Vista Business Edition (x32 or x64) machine
will not get updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (x32 or x64) machine
will not get updates.
I am sorry to hear your Windows Server 2008 (varies) machine will not get
updates.

Did this happen before or after the installation of Service Pack (1, 1a, 2,
3 or 4)?

When was the last time you were able to download and install updates
properly?

What happened/changed between then and now?

What have you done in order to try and alleviate this issue?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

TaurArian

Re: can't use windows update
Some have reported that simply re-registering the MSXML3.DLL seems to fix
the problem.
1. Click Start.
2. Choose Run.
3. In the Run box, type: regsvr32 MSXML3.DLL
Press okay

If that hasn't helped you may need to re-registered some more files:

1. Click Start.
2. Choose Run.
3. In the Run box, type (pressing okay after each one) :-

net stop wuauserv

Repeat for the following:
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
regsvr32 qmgr.dll
regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll

net start wuauserv

If that hasn't helped you may need to reinstall the WU Agent -

A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org