SP3 & no internet access

geekdna

SP3 & no internet access
I installed SP3 on my XP home computer and couldn't get online using IE,
Netscape, or Foxfire. I read it was because I had IE 7 installed (you would
think the installation check would warn that this version wasn't compatible,
but nooo). So, I uninstalled SP3 and IE7, rebooted and was able to get online
with IE 6. I reinstalled SP3 (no other apps running) w/o incident. However, I
can't get online again. There does not seem to be a DNS problem, as any page
I try to load shows as the correct web address. However, the page-any
page-will not load. I can get email through Outlook Express, but not gmail
through the gmailnotify tray program. In fact, nothing that relies on
internet access loads. I have a DSL connection I run AVG 8 but not while
installing. I have Zone Alarm on the computer but don't use it. Help!

Re: SP3 & no internet access
> ...I have Zone Alarm on the computer but don't use it.

Explain. If you don't use it, why is it still installed? Is the Windows
Firewall enabled?

=================================

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

**Vista: Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7
(KB953838)" via Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | View installed
updates and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered (i.e., KB953838). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

**Vista: Run Windows Update manually and install any Important updates
offered (i.e., KB953838). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.

=====================================

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
(which is 47830).

your usual support contacts.

Support for Windows Update:

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

geekdna wrote:
> I installed SP3 on my XP home computer and couldn't get online using IE,
> Netscape, or Foxfire. I read it was because I had IE 7 installed (you
> would
> think the installation check would warn that this version wasn't
> compatible,
> but nooo). So, I uninstalled SP3 and IE7, rebooted and was able to get
> online with IE 6. I reinstalled SP3 (no other apps running) w/o incident.
> However, I can't get online again. There does not seem to be a DNS
> problem,
> as any page I try to load shows as the correct web address. However, the
> page-any page-will not load. I can get email through Outlook Express, but
> not gmail through the gmailnotify tray program. In fact, nothing that
> relies on internet access loads. I have a DSL connection I run AVG 8 but
> not while installing. I have Zone Alarm on the computer but don't use it.
> Help!

geekdna

Re: SP3 & no internet access
I still have it installed because my boyfriend paid $60 for it. Not much of a
reason, but there it is. Yes, the firewall was/is enabled.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > Netscape, or Foxfire. I read it was because I had IE 7 installed (you
> > would
> > think the installation check would warn that this version wasn't
> > compatible,
> > but nooo). So, I uninstalled SP3 and IE7, rebooted and was able to get
> > online with IE 6. I reinstalled SP3 (no other apps running) w/o incident.
> > However, I can't get online again. There does not seem to be a DNS
> > problem,
> > as any page I try to load shows as the correct web address. However, the
> > page-any page-will not load. I can get email through Outlook Express, but
> > not gmail through the gmailnotify tray program. In fact, nothing that
> > relies on internet access loads. I have a DSL connection I run AVG 8 but
> > not while installing. I have Zone Alarm on the computer but don't use it.

Re: SP3 & no internet access
If BF paid $60 for it and installed it, you are using it and it's ZA
Security Suite. As the suite includes an anti-virus application, uninstall
AVG 8 via Add/Remove Programs and make sure the Windows Firewall is
disabled.

Then see the second section of my previous reply.

NB: If ZA Security Suite *and/or* AVG was running in the background when
WinXP SP3 was installed, you've got worse problems, girlfriend.
--
~PA Bear

geekdna wrote:
> [...]

>>> Netscape, or Foxfire. I read it was because I had IE 7 installed (you
>>> would
>>> think the installation check would warn that this version wasn't
>>> compatible,
>>> but nooo). So, I uninstalled SP3 and IE7, rebooted and was able to get
>>> online with IE 6. I reinstalled SP3 (no other apps running) w/o
>>> incident.
>>> However, I can't get online again. There does not seem to be a DNS
>>> problem,
>>> as any page I try to load shows as the correct web address. However, the
>>> page-any page-will not load. I can get email through Outlook Express,
>>> but
>>> not gmail through the gmailnotify tray program. In fact, nothing that
>>> relies on internet access loads. I have a DSL connection I run AVG 8 but
>>> not while installing. I have Zone Alarm on the computer but don't use
>>> Help!

geekdna

Re: SP3 & no internet access
I have ZA completely shut down at all times. AVG was not running at the time
of install. Thanks. I will try your fix when I get home. I hope it works, as
I will not otherwise have internet access until Monday. Donna

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated
> >> with
> >> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> >> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
> >> KB123456).
> >>
> >> LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
> >> call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
> >> (which is 47830).
> >>
> >> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
> >> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
> >> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> >>
> >> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> >> through
> >> your usual support contacts.
> >>
> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:

Re: SP3 & no internet access
Shutting down ZA doesn't necessarily disable all ZA components, especially
if they all load at Startup.

If you don't want to use ZA Security Suite, uninstall it (assuming it's your
computer).

geekdna wrote:
> I have ZA completely shut down at all times. AVG was not running at the
> time
> of install. Thanks. I will try your fix when I get home. I hope it works,
> as
> I will not otherwise have internet access until Monday. Donna
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If BF paid $60 for it and installed it, you are using it and it's ZA
>> Security Suite. As the suite includes an anti-virus application,
>> uninstall
>> AVG 8 via Add/Remove Programs and make sure the Windows Firewall is
>> disabled.
>>
>> Then see the second section of my previous reply.
>>
>> NB: If ZA Security Suite *and/or* AVG was running in the background when
>> WinXP SP3 was installed, you've got worse problems, girlfriend.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> geekdna wrote:
>>> I still have it installed because my boyfriend paid $60 for it. Not much
>>> of
>>> a reason, but there it is. Yes, the firewall was/is enabled.

odyth

issue
there is a known issue with sp3 killing the dns service.

so you could probably go to 72.14.207.99 (which is google) but could not go to www.google.com. this is because of the dns issue.

so far the only fixes i have found are re-install sp3 by downloading it from microsoft at

or by removing it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249/en-us