Update will not start

mixtertx

Update will not start
When I go to services: Automatic update properties,
at startup type I goto Automatic and then Apply.
At service status I hit Start.

I get:
Could not start the Automatic Update Service on local computer.
Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or
because it has no enabled devices associated with it ?
Can anyone help me!
fadi

RE: Update will not start

"mixtertx" wrote:

> When I go to services: Automatic update properties,
> at startup type I goto Automatic and then Apply.
> At service status I hit Start.
>
> I get:
> Could not start the Automatic Update Service on local computer.
> Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or
> because it has no enabled devices associated with it ?
> Can anyone help me!

and i have same and when i open windows update on INTERNET he says
0x80070424 error and turn on Automatic Update Can anyone help me too !
WhoKazoo

RE: Update will not start
I am having the same problem trying to fix the automatic updates. It is not
allowing me to start the service and I'v tried all the suggestion that were
provided as well as the resources to discover alternative solutions to the
problem of not being able to start the Automatic Updates services. Even
after attempting to start the BIT service and the Event Log, the Automatic
updates will not start.

There is another interesting activity that has been happening that I
experienced on my machine at work, where I caught a virus of the variety, "XP
Antivirus" which had embedded itself in my work machines windows registry and
many other places. It was a hassle and a half to clean the machine of that
virus, but I think that I got some cookie or something from it on my home
computer too because I get this popup advertizing the same thing. I'm savvy
enough to know to close it out from the task bar, because I think that any
action to close it out from the pop up window will install the same virus on
my computer. I am running McAffee, but I think I'm going to run the Trend
Micro housecall online scan to verify if I have other junk on my computer
that needs to be removed. Any help on this is appreciated

"mixtertx" wrote:

> When I go to services: Automatic update properties,
> at startup type I goto Automatic and then Apply.
> At service status I hit Start.
>
> I get:
> Could not start the Automatic Update Service on local computer.
> Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or
> because it has no enabled devices associated with it ?
> Can anyone help me!

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Update will not start
Y'all systems are infected with malware, most likely a
Vundo\Virtumonde\Zlob variant. Suggest heading over to the OneCare
Safety scanner as a first step:

Next, visit one of these reputable anti-malware forums to ensure that
the system has been disinfected:

http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5

*Please* read the guidelines and/or instructions at the forum of your
choice.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

mixtertx wrote:

> When I go to services: Automatic update properties,
> at startup type I goto Automatic and then Apply.
> At service status I hit Start.
>
> I get:
> Could not start the Automatic Update Service on local computer.
> Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or
> because it has no enabled devices associated with it ?
> Can anyone help me!

Re: Update will not start
Judging by the ever-increasing number of posts here in the past few months
that are similar to yours, the behavior may be due to a Vundo-ZLOB-SDBot
infection, all protected by a rootkit infection.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

mixtertx wrote:
> When I go to services: Automatic update properties,
> at startup type I goto Automatic and then Apply.
> At service status I hit Start.
>
> I get:
> Could not start the Automatic Update Service on local computer.
> Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled
> or
> because it has no enabled devices associated with it ?
> Can anyone help me!

Mikekurt1

Re: Update will not start

When you try to restart you get an error stating " Could not start the
update service on local Computer" Error 1058" error message when you
manually start the Remote Procedure Call service"

First of all ensure you clean out all the malware and viriuses. Than
Follow got Start>run Type in services.msc. Double Click on Automatic
Update. Under General Tab, Startup Type pull down. Select Automatic and
hit apply, got to log on Tab and be sure that the profile is "ENABLED"
same error. follow the proceder below. Be Very carefull here though

Click start Run type in "regedit" without quotation mark. Follow the
path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardwa re Profiles\(this
where the profile from the above mentioned logon tab will be listed
here) Right click on and select "Permissions" Make sure the POWER USER
and ADMINISTRATOR has the full contol "ALLOW" checked. Than try to
restart the service again......if this did not do the trick Try
assigning Full Control to your USER profile and then try again. it
should do the trick. Good Luck

--
Mikekurt1
Mikekurt1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mikekurt1.htm