How to uninstall an incomplete Hotfix?

Scott

How to uninstall an incomplete Hotfix?
I am attempting to install SQL Server 2008 on a clean Windows Server 2008
Standard machine.

The SQL Server 2008 installation starts by installing .NET Framework 3.5
SP1. Windows Update then requested I install "Hotfix for .NET Framework 3.5
SP1 KB953595", which I did. The Windows Update "Update History" states that
the Hotfix was installed Successfully.

However, the SQL Server 2008 install now will not proceed, claiming I need
to reboot, which I did several times. In Control Panel I tried to uninstall
the hotfix, but the Uninstall button is grayed out for only that update.
When I look for the installation package in
\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads, there is no package for this Hotfix.

There is also nothing listed as pending in the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

so I am at a loss as to how to uninstall a Hotfix that is not completely
there.

Nor have I been able to find the hotfix as a download & try to re-install it.

Help! Thanks!
TaurArian

Re: How to uninstall an incomplete Hotfix?
You could try this forum:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...ID=95&SiteID=1

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am attempting to install SQL Server 2008 on a clean Windows Server 2008
> Standard machine.
>
> The SQL Server 2008 installation starts by installing .NET Framework 3.5
> SP1. Windows Update then requested I install "Hotfix for .NET Framework
> 3.5
> SP1 KB953595", which I did. The Windows Update "Update History" states
> that
> the Hotfix was installed Successfully.
>
> However, the SQL Server 2008 install now will not proceed, claiming I need
> to reboot, which I did several times. In Control Panel I tried to
> uninstall
> the hotfix, but the Uninstall button is grayed out for only that update.
> When I look for the installation package in
> \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads, there is no package for this
> Hotfix.
>
> There is also nothing listed as pending in the registry under
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
> Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations
>
> so I am at a loss as to how to uninstall a Hotfix that is not completely
> there.
>
> Nor have I been able to find the hotfix as a download & try to re-install
> it.
>
> Help! Thanks!

Scott

Re: How to uninstall an incomplete Hotfix?
Thanks, but actually, that forum is for SQL Server 2005 which doesn't have
this annoying feature of refusing to install. The forum for SQL Server 2008
is:
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Sho...=1627&SiteID=1

I already made a similar post there, but since this is primarily an issue
with uninstalling a failed Hotfix, I am hoping this discussion group will be
more fruitful.

-Scott

"TaurArian" wrote:

> You could try this forum:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...ID=95&SiteID=1
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am attempting to install SQL Server 2008 on a clean Windows Server 2008
> > Standard machine.
> >
> > The SQL Server 2008 installation starts by installing .NET Framework 3.5
> > SP1. Windows Update then requested I install "Hotfix for .NET Framework
> > 3.5
> > SP1 KB953595", which I did. The Windows Update "Update History" states
> > that
> > the Hotfix was installed Successfully.
> >
> > However, the SQL Server 2008 install now will not proceed, claiming I need
> > to reboot, which I did several times. In Control Panel I tried to
> > uninstall
> > the hotfix, but the Uninstall button is grayed out for only that update.
> > When I look for the installation package in
> > \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads, there is no package for this
> > Hotfix.
> >
> > There is also nothing listed as pending in the registry under
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
> > Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations
> >
> > so I am at a loss as to how to uninstall a Hotfix that is not completely
> > there.
> >
> > Nor have I been able to find the hotfix as a download & try to re-install
> > it.
> >
> > Help! Thanks!

Re: How to uninstall an incomplete Hotfix?
It is not a SQL Server 2005-specific forum, Scott (e.g.,
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Sho...4764&SiteID=1;
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Sho...02255&SiteID=1).
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Scott wrote:
> Thanks, but actually, that forum is for SQL Server 2005 which doesn't have
> this annoying feature of refusing to install. The forum for SQL Server
> 2008
> is:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Sho...=1627&SiteID=1
>
> I already made a similar post there, but since this is primarily an issue
> with uninstalling a failed Hotfix, I am hoping this discussion group will
> be
> more fruitful.
>
> -Scott
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
>> You could try this forum:
>> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...ID=95&SiteID=1
>>

>> --
>>
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>> ======================================
>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
>>

>> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I am attempting to install SQL Server 2008 on a clean Windows Server
>>> 2008
>>> Standard machine.
>>>
>>> The SQL Server 2008 installation starts by installing .NET Framework 3.5
>>> SP1. Windows Update then requested I install "Hotfix for .NET Framework
>>> 3.5
>>> SP1 KB953595", which I did. The Windows Update "Update History" states
>>> that
>>> the Hotfix was installed Successfully.
>>>
>>> However, the SQL Server 2008 install now will not proceed, claiming I
>>> need
>>> to reboot, which I did several times. In Control Panel I tried to
>>> uninstall
>>> the hotfix, but the Uninstall button is grayed out for only that update.
>>> When I look for the installation package in
>>> \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads, there is no package for this
>>> Hotfix.
>>>
>>> There is also nothing listed as pending in the registry under
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
>>> Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations
>>>
>>> so I am at a loss as to how to uninstall a Hotfix that is not completely
>>> there.
>>>
>>> Nor have I been able to find the hotfix as a download & try to
>>> re-install
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Help! Thanks!

Scott

Re: How to uninstall an incomplete Hotfix?
Thank you PA Bear. I originally looked up the forum in the "Where is the
Forum" forum, specifically this post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...39054&SiteID=1

If this is no longer the correct place to post SQL Server 2008 questions,
then you might want to add another response to this thread indicating so.

Anyway, back to the main topic: any idea how to uninstall a Hotfix that
didn't completely install? I'm dead in the water until I figure this out.
Thanks!

-Scott

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> It is not a SQL Server 2005-specific forum, Scott (e.g.,
> http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Sho...4764&SiteID=1;
> http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Sho...02255&SiteID=1).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Scott wrote:
> > Thanks, but actually, that forum is for SQL Server 2005 which doesn't have
> > this annoying feature of refusing to install. The forum for SQL Server
> > 2008
> > is:
> > http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Sho...=1627&SiteID=1
> >
> > I already made a similar post there, but since this is primarily an issue
> > with uninstalling a failed Hotfix, I am hoping this discussion group will
> > be
> > more fruitful.
> >
> > -Scott
> >
> > "TaurArian" wrote:
> >
> >> You could try this forum:
> >> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...ID=95&SiteID=1
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> >> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> >> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> >> Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

Scott

Re: How to uninstall an incomplete Hotfix?
OK, final entry. I gave up on uninstalling the Hotfix, and just uninstalled
the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 which also removed the Hotfix. I then
re-installed the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and went on to successfully finish