SP3 FREEZE

BAYSEAL

SP3 FREEZE
I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP PRO. I'VE DE-ACTIVATED MY NORTON 360, AND SPY
SWEEPER. I DO NOT FILL GOOD ABOUT LEAVING MY COMPUTER ON ALL DAY, AND NIGHT.
problem: my computer freezes about half way through (running processes) AFTER
INSTALL. i've done this three times and it all ways freeze at the same
point. NO ERROR MESSAGES.
--
COUNTLESSTIMETOCONCLUS
IONOFPURPOSE

Re: SP3 FREEZE
Re-enable NAV and make sure either the Norton firewall or the Windows
Firewall is enabled at all times.

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

LOOK! => Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available
for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

BAYSEAL wrote:
> I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP PRO. I'VE DE-ACTIVATED MY NORTON 360, AND SPY
> SWEEPER. I DO NOT FILL GOOD ABOUT LEAVING MY COMPUTER ON ALL DAY, AND
> NIGHT.
> problem: my computer freezes about half way through (running processes)
> AFTER INSTALL. i've done this three times and it all ways freeze at the
> same point. NO ERROR MESSAGES.

hj III

Re: SP3 FREEZE
I too have the XP Pro SP3 installation freeze problem. As BAYSEAL states,
the freeze happens during the final running of processes. In all my cases,
the last entry in the SVCPACK.LOG file is

"Starting process: C:\WINXPPRO\system32\shmgrate.exe AddConfigurePrograms"

No return code has been issued by this process in any of my attempts to
install SP3.

Other information is
1. Reviewed & believe I comply with reqts of KB950717
2. Methods 1, 3, 4, & 5 of KB950718 do not seem to have any noticeable
effect. Method 2, Downloads from the DL Ctr, was not tried since this was a
single installation.
3. From late May until present, other XP downloads from the Update Center
were sucessfully installed--only SP3 failed.

What sort of items affect shmgrate.exe? Any help I can get in deciphering
the log file would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance for your help..
--
hj III

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Re-enable NAV and make sure either the Norton firewall or the Windows
> Firewall is enabled at all times.
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>
> LOOK! => Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available
> for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> BAYSEAL wrote:
> > I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP PRO. I'VE DE-ACTIVATED MY NORTON 360, AND SPY
> > SWEEPER. I DO NOT FILL GOOD ABOUT LEAVING MY COMPUTER ON ALL DAY, AND
> > NIGHT.
> > problem: my computer freezes about half way through (running processes)
> > AFTER INSTALL. i've done this three times and it all ways freeze at the
> > same point. NO ERROR MESSAGES.

Re: SP3 FREEZE
And have you opened a free support incident? Have you read
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...allation.aspx?

hj III wrote:
> I too have the XP Pro SP3 installation freeze problem. As BAYSEAL states,
> the freeze happens during the final running of processes. In all my
> cases, the last entry in the SVCPACK.LOG file is
>
> "Starting process: C:\WINXPPRO\system32\shmgrate.exe
> AddConfigurePrograms"
>
> No return code has been issued by this process in any of my attempts to
> install SP3.
>
> Other information is
> 1. Reviewed & believe I comply with reqts of KB950717
> 2. Methods 1, 3, 4, & 5 of KB950718 do not seem to have any noticeable
> effect. Method 2, Downloads from the DL Ctr, was not tried since this was
> single installation.
> 3. From late May until present, other XP downloads from the Update Center
> were sucessfully installed--only SP3 failed.
>
> What sort of items affect shmgrate.exe? Any help I can get in deciphering
> the log file would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks in advance for your help..
>
>> Re-enable NAV and make sure either the Norton firewall or the Windows
>> Firewall is enabled at all times.
>>
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>
>> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>>
>> LOOK! => Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is
>> available
>> for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat
>> and e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go
>> to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>> "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> BAYSEAL wrote:
>>> I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP PRO. I'VE DE-ACTIVATED MY NORTON 360, AND SPY
>>> SWEEPER. I DO NOT FILL GOOD ABOUT LEAVING MY COMPUTER ON ALL DAY, AND
>>> NIGHT.
>>> problem: my computer freezes about half way through (running processes)
>>> AFTER INSTALL. i've done this three times and it all ways freeze at the
>>> same point. NO ERROR MESSAGES.

hj III

Re: SP3 FREEZE
PA,
answers are...

waldron blog: Now I have..Also looked thru TechNet some. Tried one item
about turning off all things Norton but it was to no avail.

support incident: that will be my next step

thanks
--
hj III

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> And have you opened a free support incident? Have you read
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...allation.aspx?
>
> hj III wrote:
> > I too have the XP Pro SP3 installation freeze problem. As BAYSEAL states,
> > the freeze happens during the final running of processes. In all my
> > cases, the last entry in the SVCPACK.LOG file is
> >
> > "Starting process: C:\WINXPPRO\system32\shmgrate.exe
> > AddConfigurePrograms"
> >
> > No return code has been issued by this process in any of my attempts to
> > install SP3.
> >
> > Other information is
> > 1. Reviewed & believe I comply with reqts of KB950717
> > 2. Methods 1, 3, 4, & 5 of KB950718 do not seem to have any noticeable
> > effect. Method 2, Downloads from the DL Ctr, was not tried since this was
> > single installation.
> > 3. From late May until present, other XP downloads from the Update Center
> > were sucessfully installed--only SP3 failed.
> >
> > What sort of items affect shmgrate.exe? Any help I can get in deciphering
> > the log file would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > thanks in advance for your help..
> >
> >> Re-enable NAV and make sure either the Norton firewall or the Windows
> >> Firewall is enabled at all times.
> >>
> >> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
> >>
> >> LOOK! => Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is
> >> available
> >> for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat
> >> and e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go
> >> to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> >> "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: SP3 FREEZE
YW. Please let us know if & how you resolved the problem.