Re: Problems after Windows Update

Althea

Re: Problems after Windows Update
I noticed over the past few months that when I install KB890830 I no longer
have internet access. This item seems to be a particular nuisance around
here. I have been able to do system restore and no longer have in installed.
It wants to reinstall, but I will not at this point.

"aegs07961" wrote:

> I fixed this on my own. Simply ran the XP upgrade from the CD and it fixed
> the problem and retained everything else.
>
> Now the debate is whether or not to update the PC with the service packs.
>

> "aegs07961" wrote:
>
> > Tried your suggestions below and still have the same problem. MS support
> > said to call back if SFC /scannow didn't work. The cynic in me thinks they
> > had me do that just to get me off the phone.
> >

> > "MowGreen" wrote:
> >
> > > OK, let's see ... show hidden files, folders, and system files :
> > > http://snipurl.com/f4cx
> > >
> > > Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the WINDOWS directory, usually at
> > > C:\WINDOWS . Open the $NtUninstallKB896688$ folder. Open the spuninst
> > > folder. Double click spuninst.exe. This will uninstall KB896688.
> > > Restart the system and see if the issues are gone.
> > >
> > > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2006]
> > > ===============
> > > *-343-* FDNY
> > > Never Forgotten
> > > ===============

MowGreen [MVP]

Althea wrote:

> I noticed over the past few months that when I install KB890830 I no longer
> have internet access. This item seems to be a particular nuisance around
> here. I have been able to do system restore and no longer have in installed.
> It wants to reinstall, but I will not at this point.

Two possible explanations:

1) The Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool conflicts with the
installed security/antivirus/3rd party firewall software.
This is *highly unlikely*, but possible.

2) Your system is owned by someone other than yourself. The lack of
connectivity suggests that 'unwanted guests' residing on the system
do NOT want the MRT to contact Microsoft's servers and is resisting
being detected/removed from the system by denying the system connectivity.
This is the *most* likely cause.

If the loss of connectivity has been going on " the past few months that
when I install KB890830 " than something is *obviously* wrong.

What is the installed antivirus/security suite ?
Has it been kept up to date with the latest definitions ?
When was the system last scanned for 'unwanted guests ?
Which firewall is being used?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Althea

Re: Problems after Windows Update
ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall AntiSpyware/AntiVirus

All automatic updates are current except KB890830 that I have weeded out
over time as the culprit. That is why it was months. First install was in
June 2008 after restart had no internet access. Did a system restore and set
my updates to manual. Installed again and had the same thing happen. So at
this point I do not have it installed.

I do have XPSP3 update installed.

I do disc cleanup, virus and spy scan, and defrag at least weekly. I am the
main user of the system and watch it closely. I am the one at this point not
allowing the update, knowing that when I install it I will not have internet.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Althea wrote:
>
> > I noticed over the past few months that when I install KB890830 I no longer
> > have internet access. This item seems to be a particular nuisance around
> > here. I have been able to do system restore and no longer have in installed.
> > It wants to reinstall, but I will not at this point.
> >

> Two possible explanations:
>
> 1) The Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool conflicts with the
> installed security/antivirus/3rd party firewall software.
> This is *highly unlikely*, but possible.
>
> 2) Your system is owned by someone other than yourself. The lack of
> connectivity suggests that 'unwanted guests' residing on the system
> do NOT want the MRT to contact Microsoft's servers and is resisting
> being detected/removed from the system by denying the system connectivity.
> This is the *most* likely cause.
>
> If the loss of connectivity has been going on " the past few months that
> when I install KB890830 " than something is *obviously* wrong.
>
> What is the installed antivirus/security suite ?
> Has it been kept up to date with the latest definitions ?
> When was the system last scanned for 'unwanted guests ?
> Which firewall is being used?
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

Re: Problems after Windows Update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Althea wrote:
> I noticed over the past few months that when I install KB890830 I no
> longer
> have internet access. This item seems to be a particular nuisance around
> here. I have been able to do system restore and no longer have in
> installed. It wants to reinstall, but I will not at this point.

<snip>

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Problems after Windows Update
Zone Alarm Access forum:
http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...oard.id=access

I don't see any issue with ZA/KB890830 posted in that forum, just a
reference to it in the discussion about KB951748.

When was ZA installed ?
Is it updated to the latest version ?
Have you ever scanned the system with another AV to ensure that no
'unwanted guests' are present ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten