Error 0x8007004DD

Flopyear

Error 0x8007004DD
At the update page I get "The website has encountered a problem and cannot
display the page.... " with error 0x8007004DD. I am unable to update, run
Windows Defender or review previous updates. Any solutions?!
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error 0x8007004DD
Flopyear wrote:

> At the update page I get "The website has encountered a problem and cannot
> display the page.... " with error 0x8007004DD. I am unable to update, run
> Windows Defender or review previous updates. Any solutions?!

There are only 8 numbers in the updating error codes. The one you posted
has 9: 8007004DD
Did you mean to post 0x800704DD ?
Error_Not_Logged_On
Logon Failure: account currently disabled or
the operation being requested was not performed because the user has not
logged on to the network. The specified service does not exist.

Which version of Windows and at what Service Pack level, please ?

Open the services console and check to see if the Automatic Updates
service [XP] or the Windows Update service [Vista] is set to run
Automatically under Startup type and can be started and stopped.
Start > Run > type in services.msc
Click OK or press Enter to access the services console.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Re: Error 0x8007004DD
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.

Error messages that you may receive when you try to download and install
updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web
site, or from a WSUS server: "0x800704DD," "0x80240020," or both:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341

0x800704DD - Error_Not_Logged_On to network
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Flopyear wrote:
> At the update page I get "The website has encountered a problem and cannot
> display the page.... " with error 0x8007004DD. I am unable to update, run
> Windows Defender or review previous updates. Any solutions?!

Flopyear

Re: Error 0x8007004DD
Sorry about the "typo" Yes I did mean 0x800704DD. I am running Windows XP
service pack 2

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Flopyear wrote:
>
> > At the update page I get "The website has encountered a problem and cannot
> > display the page.... " with error 0x8007004DD. I am unable to update, run
> > Windows Defender or review previous updates. Any solutions?!

> There are only 8 numbers in the updating error codes. The one you posted
> has 9: 8007004DD
> Did you mean to post 0x800704DD ?
> Error_Not_Logged_On
> Logon Failure: account currently disabled or
> the operation being requested was not performed because the user has not
> logged on to the network. The specified service does not exist.
>
> Which version of Windows and at what Service Pack level, please ?
>
> Open the services console and check to see if the Automatic Updates
> service [XP] or the Windows Update service [Vista] is set to run
> Automatically under Startup type and can be started and stopped.
> Start > Run > type in services.msc
> Click OK or press Enter to access the services console.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

Flopyear

Re: Error 0x8007004DD
Windows XP SP2
Clicked on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341
Followed Section B, step 2 Expanded the registry subkey up to Notify
I do not have Senslogn, I have WgaLogon

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> posting to this newsgroup, please.
>
> Error messages that you may receive when you try to download and install
> updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web
> site, or from a WSUS server: "0x800704DD," "0x80240020," or both:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341
>
> 0x800704DD - Error_Not_Logged_On to network
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Flopyear wrote:
> > At the update page I get "The website has encountered a problem and cannot
> > display the page.... " with error 0x8007004DD. I am unable to update, run
> > Windows Defender or review previous updates. Any solutions?!

Re: Error 0x8007004DD
See my previous reply to this thread.

Repost:

> ...recently cleaned a
> virus that may have disabled a service i need to connect.

You may have more work to do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review

Flopyear wrote:
> Windows XP SP2
> Clicked on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341
> Followed Section B, step 2 Expanded the registry subkey up to Notify
> I do not have Senslogn, I have WgaLogon
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup, please.
>>
>> Error messages that you may receive when you try to download and install
>> updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web
>> site, or from a WSUS server: "0x800704DD," "0x80240020," or both:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341
>>
>> 0x800704DD - Error_Not_Logged_On to network
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Flopyear wrote:
>>> At the update page I get "The website has encountered a problem and
>>> cannot
>>> display the page.... " with error 0x8007004DD. I am unable to update,
>>> run
>>> Windows Defender or review previous updates. Any solutions?!

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error 0x8007004DD
Did you

> Open the services console and check to see if the Automatic Updates
>> service [XP] or the Windows Update service [Vista] is set to run
>> Automatically under Startup type and can be started and stopped.
>> Start > Run > type in services.msc
>> Click OK or press Enter to access the services console.

??? If yes, and AU can be started/stopped, then read on ...

You can export the WgaLogon subkey by right clicking it and choosing
Export. Name it WgaLogon, click the Save button. It's saved to the
Desktop. It's *always* good practice backing up registry edits, just in
case.

Next, right click WgaLogon once more in the registry editor, choose
Rename. Name it SensLogn.
Restart the system and do a manual attempt to update from the link in
the Start Menu or by opening Internet Explorer and clicking Tools >
Windows | Microsoft Update.

Did that resolve the issue ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Flopyear wrote:

> Windows XP SP2
> Clicked on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341
> Followed Section B, step 2 Expanded the registry subkey up to Notify
> I do not have Senslogn, I have WgaLogon
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>>posting to this newsgroup, please.
>>
>>Error messages that you may receive when you try to download and install
>>updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web
>>site, or from a WSUS server: "0x800704DD," "0x80240020," or both:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341
>>
>>0x800704DD - Error_Not_Logged_On to network
>>--
>>~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>>AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>>Flopyear wrote:
>>
>>>At the update page I get "The website has encountered a problem and cannot
>>>display the page.... " with error 0x8007004DD. I am unable to update, run
>>>Windows Defender or review previous updates. Any solutions?!

Flopyear

Re: Error 0x8007004DD
Yes, I checked to see that the Automatic Updates could be started and
stopped. I exported and renamed and now I have both, Senslogn and WgaLogon. I
still cannot update. If I continue on with
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341 Section B, step 3, the registry names
are all the same except Safe. I have SafeMode. Is that considered the same?
And does _SZ mean String(data type)? Many of my registry entries' data value
are different. Change all of them? Thanks

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Did you
>
> > Open the services console and check to see if the Automatic Updates
> >> service [XP] or the Windows Update service [Vista] is set to run
> >> Automatically under Startup type and can be started and stopped.
> >> Start > Run > type in services.msc
> >> Click OK or press Enter to access the services console.

> ??? If yes, and AU can be started/stopped, then read on ...
>
> You can export the WgaLogon subkey by right clicking it and choosing
> Export. Name it WgaLogon, click the Save button. It's saved to the
> Desktop. It's *always* good practice backing up registry edits, just in
> case.
>
> Next, right click WgaLogon once more in the registry editor, choose
> Rename. Name it SensLogn.
> Restart the system and do a manual attempt to update from the link in
> the Start Menu or by opening Internet Explorer and clicking Tools >
> Windows | Microsoft Update.
>
> Did that resolve the issue ?
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Flopyear wrote:
>
> > Windows XP SP2
> > Clicked on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341
> > Followed Section B, step 2 Expanded the registry subkey up to Notify
> > I do not have Senslogn, I have WgaLogon
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> >>posting to this newsgroup, please.
> >>
> >>Error messages that you may receive when you try to download and install
> >>updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web
> >>site, or from a WSUS server: "0x800704DD," "0x80240020," or both:
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341
> >>
> >>0x800704DD - Error_Not_Logged_On to network
> >>--
> >>~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >>MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> >>AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> >>DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error 0x8007004DD
If you renamed WgaLogon to SensLogn then there should only be SensLogn
under Notify and *NO* WgaLogon. IF WgaLogon is still under Notify, then
right click it and choose Delete [it is *backed up*, correct ?].
Approve the prompt.

Here's what the settings should be. You can open Notepad and copy&paste
what is *below* the line into it. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
*must* be at the very top:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\SensLogn]
"DLLName"="WlNotify.dll"
"Lock"="SensLockEvent"
"Logon"="SensLogonEvent"
"Logoff"="SensLogoffEvent"
"Safe"=dword:00000001
"MaxWait"=dword:00000258
"StartScreenSaver"="SensStartScreenSaverEvent"
"StopScreenSaver"="SensStopScreenSaverEvent"
"Startup"="SensStartupEvent"
"Shutdown"="SensShutdownEvent"
"StartShell"="SensStartShellEvent"
"PostShell"="SensPostShellEvent"
"Disconnect"="SensDisconnectEvent"
"Reconnect"="SensReconnectEvent"
"Unlock"="SensUnlockEvent"
"Impersonate"=dword:00000001
"Asynchronous"=dword:00000001

Now click File > Save as
In File name, enter SensLogn
If *.txt is still there, change the extension to .reg

For Save as type, choose All Files
Leave Encoding as is. It should show ANSI
Now click the Desktop icon in the left frame if a different location is
showing for Save in:
Click the Save button.

*Right* click SensLogn.reg on the Desktop and choose Merge.
You should be notified that the information in the reg file has been
successfully merged into the registry.

Reboot and try WU again.

Did that resolve the access issue ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]