Update to Winsows XP SP3

Simon C

Update to Winsows XP SP3
I got a ready-to-install notification of update to Windows XP SP3 at the
system tray but I don't want to install it for the time being. How can I got
rid of it while other future security upates will not be affected.

My computer is running Windows XP Professional SP2 and IE7.

Shenan Stanley

Re: Update to Winsows XP SP3
Simon C wrote:
> I got a ready-to-install notification of update to Windows XP SP3
> at the system tray but I don't want to install it for the time
> being. How can I got rid of it while other future security upates
> will not be affected.
>
> My computer is running Windows XP Professional SP2 and IE7.

Just uncheck it when you choose to install updates.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Update to Winsows XP SP3
Click the notification icon. When the window opens, UNcheck the box next
to Windows XP SP3 (KB936929}. Click OK.
In the next window that appears put a check in the box next to
" Do not show me this update again. "
Click OK.
That will Hide SP3. The downloaded components will be cycled off of the
machine in time. The entire SP3 package has not been downloaded.

Be aware that after April, 2010, SP2 will no longer be supported.
Free assistance in getting SP3 installed ends April 14, 2009.

" Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is
valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy,
visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Availability of chat or
e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. For
customers residing in North America or Canada, chat and e-mail support
is available.

Some issues may require more advanced support for which there is a charge. "

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Simon C wrote:

> I got a ready-to-install notification of update to Windows XP SP3 at the
> system tray but I don't want to install it for the time being. How can I got
> rid of it while other future security upates will not be affected.
>
> My computer is running Windows XP Professional SP2 and IE7.

Re: Update to Winsows XP SP3
Uncheck the update and hide it. (It's already downloaded if you got that
notification.)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Simon C wrote:
> I got a ready-to-install notification of update to Windows XP SP3 at the
> system tray but I don't want to install it for the time being. How can I
> got
> rid of it while other future security upates will not be affected.
>
> My computer is running Windows XP Professional SP2 and IE7.

Simon C

Re: Update to Winsows XP SP3
The notification is for the Windows XP SP3 only and alrady downloaded. When I
clicked the notification, there are two options: Express and Custom
installation.

What steps I should take to get rid of it?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Uncheck the update and hide it. (It's already downloaded if you got that
> notification.)
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Simon C wrote:
> > I got a ready-to-install notification of update to Windows XP SP3 at the
> > system tray but I don't want to install it for the time being. How can I
> > got
> > rid of it while other future security upates will not be affected.
> >
> > My computer is running Windows XP Professional SP2 and IE7.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Update to Winsows XP SP3
Simon C wrote:

> The notification is for the Windows XP SP3 only and alrady downloaded. When I
> clicked the notification, there are two options: Express and Custom
> installation.

Custom. Then follow PA Bear's instructions.

Harry.
Simon C

Re: Update to Winsows XP SP3
Thanks. If in future I would like to update to Windows XP SP3, where I could
get the update?

Another question is when I check the window update webpage, I found that it
requires me to install in the first place "Windows Genuine Advantage
validation tool (KB892130)". I remember that I have installed another wga
tool before.

What's that tool KB892130 for? Could I get rid of it?

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Simon C wrote:
>
> > The notification is for the Windows XP SP3 only and alrady downloaded. When I
> > clicked the notification, there are two options: Express and Custom
> > installation.

> Custom. Then follow PA Bear's instructions.
>
> Harry.

Shenan Stanley

Re: Update to Winsows XP SP3
Simon C wrote:
> Thanks. If in future I would like to update to Windows XP SP3,
> where I could get the update?
>
> Another question is when I check the window update webpage, I found
> that it requires me to install in the first place "Windows Genuine
> Advantage validation tool (KB892130)". I remember that I have
> installed another wga tool before.
>
> What's that tool KB892130 for? Could I get rid of it?

Unless you are running an illegitimate copy of Windows XP - you may be
offered newer version of the WGA tool on occassion. Install it. It's not
going to harm your system.

As for SP3...

How to obtain the ISO of the CD containing SP3 for installation and/or
where to download the stand-alone (sometimes referred to as IT
Professional version) SP3 installer (and know - despite what anything
you read says - you can be installing SP3 on a single computer and
those two formats will work fine.):

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Update to Winsows XP SP3
Since the installer's already been downloaded:

1. If and when other/future updates are offered, you should see a prompt to
"Offer updates again that I've previously hidden" | Accept the prompt; or...

2. Start | Settings | Control Panel | Automatic Updates | Click on "Offer
updates again that I've previously hidden".

KB892130 (and updated versions of same) *must* be installed in order to use
the Windows Update website.