No internet access after installing SP 3

RW Parks

No internet access after installing SP 3
After updatig my laptops (WIN XP SP2) wih SP3 I now do not have access the
internet. Access is constrained when using a browser (IE 7.0.5730.11) or by
other net apps via LAN or WIFI connection, but I can access via my WWAN
modem. I use Symantec for firewall and antivirus protection, both were
running at install time. Attempts to restore to a previous level have
failed.
Any suggestions on how to fix this ?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: No internet access after installing SP 3
This issue was caused by having Symantec actively monitoring the system
during the installation of SP3.
You could try rebuilding the winsock prior to attempting to remove SP3.
However, if System Restore could not restore connectivity, you may
experience difficulty restoring connectivity rebuilding the winsock
stack *and* in removing SP3.

*Disble the Symantec firewall and Enable the native XP firewall*

Open a Command Prompt from Start > Run > type in cmd
Click OK or press Enter
At the prompt, type in the below exactly as written, pressing Enter
after *each* command

netsh winsock reset
exit

Restart the system and see if connectivity has been restored.
If it has, try reenabling the Symantec firewall and disabling the XP
firewall.

If it has not, use System Restore to return the system to the *day* when
SP3 was installed.
See if you can uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs [ARP] in the
Control Panel first.
It will be listed towards the bottom of installed software.

If it can't be uninstalled from ARP, then show hidden files, folders,
and system files:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp

Using Windows Explorer [Start > All Programs > Accessories], navigate to
WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$
Open $NtServicePackUninstall$
Open spuninst
Now run spuninst.exe to uninstall SP3

Did that get it uninstalled ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

RW Parks wrote:

> After updatig my laptops (WIN XP SP2) wih SP3 I now do not have access the
> internet. Access is constrained when using a browser (IE 7.0.5730.11) or by
> other net apps via LAN or WIFI connection, but I can access via my WWAN
> modem. I use Symantec for firewall and antivirus protection, both were
> running at install time. Attempts to restore to a previous level have
> failed.
> Any suggestions on how to fix this ?

Re: No internet access after installing SP 3
> After updatig my laptops (WIN XP SP2) wih SP3 I now do not have access the
> internet. Access is constrained when using a browser (IE 7.0.5730.11) or

Then you do not have "no internet access".

Device Manager may not show any devices and Network Connections may not show
any network connections after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953979

A Windows XP SP3-based computer loses wireless connectivity when it resumes
from standby or from hibernation, or you receive an error message when you
try to put the computer in standby or in hibernation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951447

Windows XP SP3-based client computers cannot access the network when some
DHCP information is unavailable
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953761

[[ WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx ]
]

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

RW Parks wrote:
> After updatig my laptops (WIN XP SP2) wih SP3 I now do not have access the
> internet. Access is constrained when using a browser (IE 7.0.5730.11) or
> by
> other net apps via LAN or WIFI connection, but I can access via my WWAN
> modem. I use Symantec for firewall and antivirus protection, both were
> running at install time. Attempts to restore to a previous level have
> failed.
> Any suggestions on how to fix this ?

RW Parks

Re: No internet access after installing SP 3

Thanks Mow the uninstall was successful via ARP. BUT still no connectivity
or restore capability.

Rich

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> This issue was caused by having Symantec actively monitoring the system
> during the installation of SP3.
> You could try rebuilding the winsock prior to attempting to remove SP3.
> However, if System Restore could not restore connectivity, you may
> experience difficulty restoring connectivity rebuilding the winsock
> stack *and* in removing SP3.
>
> *Disble the Symantec firewall and Enable the native XP firewall*
>
> Open a Command Prompt from Start > Run > type in cmd
> Click OK or press Enter
> At the prompt, type in the below exactly as written, pressing Enter
> after *each* command
>
> netsh winsock reset
> exit
>
> Restart the system and see if connectivity has been restored.
> If it has, try reenabling the Symantec firewall and disabling the XP
> firewall.
>
> If it has not, use System Restore to return the system to the *day* when
> SP3 was installed.
> See if you can uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs [ARP] in the
> Control Panel first.
> It will be listed towards the bottom of installed software.
>
> If it can't be uninstalled from ARP, then show hidden files, folders,
> and system files:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
>
> Using Windows Explorer [Start > All Programs > Accessories], navigate to
> WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$
> Open $NtServicePackUninstall$
> Open spuninst
> Now run spuninst.exe to uninstall SP3
>
> Did that get it uninstalled ?
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> RW Parks wrote:
>
> > After updatig my laptops (WIN XP SP2) wih SP3 I now do not have access the
> > internet. Access is constrained when using a browser (IE 7.0.5730.11) or by
> > other net apps via LAN or WIFI connection, but I can access via my WWAN
> > modem. I use Symantec for firewall and antivirus protection, both were
> > running at install time. Attempts to restore to a previous level have
> > failed.
> > Any suggestions on how to fix this ?

Re: No internet access after installing SP 3
A. How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
[ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211

B. Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered (i.e., KB953838). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.

=====================================

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
(which is 47830).

your usual support contacts.

Support for Windows Update:

RW Parks wrote:
> Thanks Mow the uninstall was successful via ARP. BUT still no
> connectivity
> or restore capability.
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>> This issue was caused by having Symantec actively monitoring the system
>> during the installation of SP3.
>> You could try rebuilding the winsock prior to attempting to remove SP3.
>> However, if System Restore could not restore connectivity, you may
>> experience difficulty restoring connectivity rebuilding the winsock
>> stack *and* in removing SP3.
>>
>> *Disble the Symantec firewall and Enable the native XP firewall*
>>
>> Open a Command Prompt from Start > Run > type in cmd
>> Click OK or press Enter
>> At the prompt, type in the below exactly as written, pressing Enter
>> after *each* command
>>
>> netsh winsock reset
>> exit
>>
>> Restart the system and see if connectivity has been restored.
>> If it has, try reenabling the Symantec firewall and disabling the XP
>> firewall.
>>
>> If it has not, use System Restore to return the system to the *day* when
>> SP3 was installed.
>> See if you can uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs [ARP] in the
>> Control Panel first.
>> It will be listed towards the bottom of installed software.
>>
>> If it can't be uninstalled from ARP, then show hidden files, folders,
>> and system files:
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
>>
>> Using Windows Explorer [Start > All Programs > Accessories], navigate to
>> WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$
>> Open $NtServicePackUninstall$
>> Open spuninst
>> Now run spuninst.exe to uninstall SP3
>>
>> Did that get it uninstalled ?
>>
>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> RW Parks wrote:
>>
>>> After updatig my laptops (WIN XP SP2) wih SP3 I now do not have access
>>> the
>>> internet. Access is constrained when using a browser (IE 7.0.5730.11)
>>> or
>>> by other net apps via LAN or WIFI connection, but I can access via my
>>> WWAN
>>> modem. I use Symantec for firewall and antivirus protection, both were
>>> running at install time. Attempts to restore to a previous level have
>>> failed.
>>> Any suggestions on how to fix this ?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: No internet access after installing SP 3
Ouch. There are several *major* issues going on here.
Suggest you first attempt a Repair Install -

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer
7 is installed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Use the above steps to uninstall IE7 first. Then go here and follow the
steps laid out:

*If* the system can be repaired, then please read these articles before
applying SP3 again:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

RW Parks wrote:

> Thanks Mow the uninstall was successful via ARP. BUT still no connectivity
> or restore capability.
>
> Rich
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>This issue was caused by having Symantec actively monitoring the system
>>during the installation of SP3.
>>You could try rebuilding the winsock prior to attempting to remove SP3.
>>However, if System Restore could not restore connectivity, you may
>>experience difficulty restoring connectivity rebuilding the winsock
>>stack *and* in removing SP3.
>>
>>*Disble the Symantec firewall and Enable the native XP firewall*
>>
>>Open a Command Prompt from Start > Run > type in cmd
>>Click OK or press Enter
>>At the prompt, type in the below exactly as written, pressing Enter
>>after *each* command
>>
>>netsh winsock reset
>>exit
>>
>>Restart the system and see if connectivity has been restored.
>>If it has, try reenabling the Symantec firewall and disabling the XP
>>firewall.
>>
>>If it has not, use System Restore to return the system to the *day* when
>>SP3 was installed.
>>See if you can uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs [ARP] in the
>>Control Panel first.
>>It will be listed towards the bottom of installed software.
>>
>>If it can't be uninstalled from ARP, then show hidden files, folders,
>>and system files:
>>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l62.html#winxp
>>
>>Using Windows Explorer [Start > All Programs > Accessories], navigate to
>>WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$
>>Open $NtServicePackUninstall$
>>Open spuninst
>>Now run spuninst.exe to uninstall SP3
>>
>>Did that get it uninstalled ?
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>RW Parks wrote:
>>

>>>After updatig my laptops (WIN XP SP2) wih SP3 I now do not have access the
>>>internet. Access is constrained when using a browser (IE 7.0.5730.11) or by
>>>other net apps via LAN or WIFI connection, but I can access via my WWAN
>>>modem. I use Symantec for firewall and antivirus protection, both were
>>>running at install time. Attempts to restore to a previous level have
>>>failed.
>>>Any suggestions on how to fix this ?

cia81

Re: No internet access after installing SP 3
Hi!
I think I've got the same problem :-( I tried to update to WIN XP SP3, but
in my case the update was not completed due to an error and XP SP3
uninstalled itself again automatically. But now I have no internet
connectivity and when I try to go to System Restore nothing opens when I
click on it. I use Internet Explorer 7.
Did you get this issue resolved? If yes, is there a way to do it without
losing all your data on the computer?