Unable to update, different error than others

SusanMB

Unable to update, different error than others
I just turned my new computer on for the first time this morning and I tried
to run Windows Update via the Start menu. It briefly starts the update
process but then after a short time displays the message "Windows could not
search for new updates. Error found: Code 8024D00A" I have tried the Get
Help option which has not proven helpful at all. I also tried searching the
Web and although I've found a few other messages with this problem, no one
has responded with anything pertinent to my problem (the others who reported
this problem that I found were using a beta version of Vista and the response
was to buy a supported version). I am using Windows Vista Home Premium
version 6.0 build 6001 service pack 1.

Thank you in advance for any help!

-- SusanMB
SusanMB

RE: Unable to update, different error than others
One clarification: when I try to update, it tells me I have to first update
the updater (oy) and this is what's giving the error I mentioned in my
original post. End result is the same, though, in that I cannot update
anything (Windows Updater included).

-- SusanMB

Re: Unable to update, different error than others
Did your new machine come with Vista SP1 preinstalled? If so, from whom did
you purchase it?

Open C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log <=this file | Look for a line that
includes the following wording:

Setup Client version: Core: 6.0.xxxx.xxxxx

(e.g., 2007-06-29 17:53:44:215 1148 1b0 Setup Client version: Core:
6.0.5840.16384
Aux: 6.0.5840.16384)

Copy/paste that entire line into your next reply to this thread (in which
you quote my entire post), please.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

SusanMB wrote:
> One clarification: when I try to update, it tells me I have to first
> update
> the updater (oy) and this is what's giving the error I mentioned in my
> original post. End result is the same, though, in that I cannot update
> anything (Windows Updater included).

<paste>
> I just turned my new computer on for the first time this morning and I
> tried
> to run Windows Update via the Start menu. It briefly starts the update
> process but then after a short time displays the message "Windows could
> not
> search for new updates. Error found: Code 8024D00A" I have tried the Get
> Help option which has not proven helpful at all. I also tried searching
> the
> Web and although I've found a few other messages with this problem, no one
> has responded with anything pertinent to my problem (the others who
> reported
> this problem that I found were using a beta version of Vista and the
> response was to buy a supported version). I am using Windows Vista Home
> Premium version 6.0 build 6001 service pack 1.

SusanMB

Re: Unable to update, different error than others
Yes, it did come with Vista SP1 preinstalled. It's a Gateway FX4710
purchased from Best Buy.

Here is the line from the WindowsUpdate.log file:
2008-09-04 01:44:40:225 916 9b0 Setup Client version: Core: 7.0.6001.18000
Aux: 7.0.6001.18000

Thank you for the speedy response!

-- Susan

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did your new machine come with Vista SP1 preinstalled? If so, from whom did
> you purchase it?
>
> Open C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log <=this file | Look for a line that
> includes the following wording:
>
> Setup Client version: Core: 6.0.xxxx.xxxxx
>
> (e.g., 2007-06-29 17:53:44:215 1148 1b0 Setup Client version: Core:
> 6.0.5840.16384
> Aux: 6.0.5840.16384)
>
> Copy/paste that entire line into your next reply to this thread (in which
> you quote my entire post), please.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> SusanMB wrote:
> > One clarification: when I try to update, it tells me I have to first
> > update
> > the updater (oy) and this is what's giving the error I mentioned in my
> > original post. End result is the same, though, in that I cannot update
> > anything (Windows Updater included).

> <paste>
> > I just turned my new computer on for the first time this morning and I
> > tried
> > to run Windows Update via the Start menu. It briefly starts the update
> > process but then after a short time displays the message "Windows could
> > not
> > search for new updates. Error found: Code 8024D00A" I have tried the Get
> > Help option which has not proven helpful at all. I also tried searching
> > the
> > Web and although I've found a few other messages with this problem, no one
> > has responded with anything pertinent to my problem (the others who
> > reported
> > this problem that I found were using a beta version of Vista and the
> > response was to buy a supported version). I am using Windows Vista Home
> > Premium version 6.0 build 6001 service pack 1.

Re: Unable to update, different error than others
Thanks. That indicates a legit build of Vista SP1.

(if any)? Were any of these applications preinstalled on the machine when
you bought it?
--
~PA Bear

SusanMB wrote:
> Yes, it did come with Vista SP1 preinstalled. It's a Gateway FX4710
> purchased from Best Buy.
>
> Here is the line from the WindowsUpdate.log file:
> 2008-09-04 01:44:40:225 916 9b0 Setup Client version: Core: 7.0.6001.18000
> Aux: 7.0.6001.18000
>
> Thank you for the speedy response!
>
> -- Susan
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Did your new machine come with Vista SP1 preinstalled? If so, from whom
>> did you purchase it?
>>
>> Open C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log <=this file | Look for a line that
>> includes the following wording:
>>
>> Setup Client version: Core: 6.0.xxxx.xxxxx
>>
>> (e.g., 2007-06-29 17:53:44:215 1148 1b0 Setup Client version: Core:
>> 6.0.5840.16384
>> Aux: 6.0.5840.16384)
>>
>> Copy/paste that entire line into your next reply to this thread (in which
>> you quote my entire post), please.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> SusanMB wrote:
>>> One clarification: when I try to update, it tells me I have to first
>>> update
>>> the updater (oy) and this is what's giving the error I mentioned in my
>>> original post. End result is the same, though, in that I cannot update
>>> anything (Windows Updater included).

>> <paste>
>>> I just turned my new computer on for the first time this morning and I
>>> tried
>>> to run Windows Update via the Start menu. It briefly starts the update
>>> process but then after a short time displays the message "Windows could
>>> not
>>> search for new updates. Error found: Code 8024D00A" I have tried the
>>> Get
>>> Help option which has not proven helpful at all. I also tried searching
>>> the
>>> Web and although I've found a few other messages with this problem, no
>>> one
>>> has responded with anything pertinent to my problem (the others who
>>> reported
>>> this problem that I found were using a beta version of Vista and the
>>> response was to buy a supported version). I am using Windows Vista Home
>>> Premium version 6.0 build 6001 service pack 1.

SusanMB

Re: Unable to update, different error than others
The only thing that was installed was Norton and that was because we used
PCmover to automatically copy from the old computer to new. I've since use
the Uninstall feature but maybe not everything was removed? I'm wondering,
too, if I should just undo and manually reinstall and copy everything over if
this is what potentially caused this problem. I found out I can't update
Windows Defender either.

-- Susan

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Thanks. That indicates a legit build of Vista SP1.
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)? Were any of these applications preinstalled on the machine when
> you bought it?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> SusanMB wrote:
> > Yes, it did come with Vista SP1 preinstalled. It's a Gateway FX4710
> > purchased from Best Buy.
> >
> > Here is the line from the WindowsUpdate.log file:
> > 2008-09-04 01:44:40:225 916 9b0 Setup Client version: Core: 7.0.6001.18000
> > Aux: 7.0.6001.18000
> >
> > Thank you for the speedy response!
> >
> > -- Susan
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Did your new machine come with Vista SP1 preinstalled? If so, from whom
> >> did you purchase it?
> >>
> >> Open C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log <=this file | Look for a line that
> >> includes the following wording:
> >>
> >> Setup Client version: Core: 6.0.xxxx.xxxxx
> >>
> >> (e.g., 2007-06-29 17:53:44:215 1148 1b0 Setup Client version: Core:
> >> 6.0.5840.16384
> >> Aux: 6.0.5840.16384)
> >>
> >> Copy/paste that entire line into your next reply to this thread (in which
> >> you quote my entire post), please.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

> >> <paste>

Re: Unable to update, different error than others
What anti-virus application is installed now?

1a. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:

1b. Right click on the save file and select "Run as Administrator".

2. Reboot.

3. Run Windows Update manually and see if everything's OK now.

4. Make sure that Automatic Updates is enabled.

Reference:

Windows Update tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial140.html
--