SP3 pre-installation step

Jo-Anne

SP3 pre-installation step
I'm about to install SP3 on my new notebook computer running Windows XP SP2.
I've read everything I can about what to do before installing it, and I
think I'm ready to go, except for this: One of the pre-installation steps is
to log on as administrator. I'm the sole user and administrator, and for now
at least the computer boots without my having to log on at all. Does that
mean I'm already logged on as administrator? If not, what do I need to do to
log on as administrator?

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: SP3 pre-installation step
Jo-Anne wrote:

> I'm about to install SP3 on my new notebook computer running Windows XP
> SP2. I've read everything I can about what to do before installing it,
> and I think I'm ready to go, except for this: One of the pre-installation
> steps is to log on as administrator. I'm the sole user and administrator,
> and for now at least the computer boots without my having to log on at
> all. Does that mean I'm already logged on as administrator? If not, what
> do I need to do to log on as administrator?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

See:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm
"How to login as Administrator in Windows XP?"
And:
http://www.petri.co.il/add_the_administrator's_account_to_the_welcome_scr een_in_xp_pro.htm

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Sunny

"Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" <enzodirusso@xoom.it> wrote in message
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>
>> I'm about to install SP3 on my new notebook computer running Windows XP
>> SP2. I've read everything I can about what to do before installing it,
>> and I think I'm ready to go, except for this: One of the
>> pre-installation
>> steps is to log on as administrator. I'm the sole user and
>> administrator,
>> and for now at least the computer boots without my having to log on at
>> all. Does that mean I'm already logged on as administrator? If not,
>> what
>> do I need to do to log on as administrator?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

> See:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm
> "How to login as Administrator in Windows XP?"
> And:
> http://www.petri.co.il/add_the_administrator's_account_to_the_welcome_scr een_in_xp_pro.htm

I was wondering the same thing myself.
(WinXP Home)
I don't, and have never used "Administrator" or "logged on/off", why
should I have to, just to install SP3 ?

Sunny wrote:

> "Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" <enzodirusso@xoom.it> wrote in message
>> Jo-Anne wrote:
>>
>>> I'm about to install SP3 on my new notebook computer running Windows XP
>>> SP2. I've read everything I can about what to do before installing it,
>>> and I think I'm ready to go, except for this: One of the
>>> pre-installation
>>> steps is to log on as administrator. I'm the sole user and
>>> administrator,
>>> and for now at least the computer boots without my having to log on at
>>> all. Does that mean I'm already logged on as administrator? If not,
>>> what
>>> do I need to do to log on as administrator?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

>> See:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm
>> "How to login as Administrator in Windows XP?"
>> And:

http://www.petri.co.il/add_the_administrator's_account_to_the_welcome_scr een_in_xp_pro.htm

> I was wondering the same thing myself.
> (WinXP Home)
> I don't, and have never used "Administrator" or "logged on/off", why
> should I have to, just to install SP3 ?

In some case it is necessary (requested) to login Windows as Administrator.
This is one of that cases.

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Re: SP3 pre-installation step
WinXP Pro, MCE, or Home?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jo-Anne wrote:
> I'm about to install SP3 on my new notebook computer running Windows XP
> SP2.
> I've read everything I can about what to do before installing it, and I
> think I'm ready to go, except for this: One of the pre-installation steps
> is
> to log on as administrator. I'm the sole user and administrator, and for
> now
> at least the computer boots without my having to log on at all. Does that
> mean I'm already logged on as administrator? If not, what do I need to do
> log on as administrator?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Re: SP3 pre-installation step
Sorry, Robear! The notebook is WinXP Pro; the desktop is WinXP Home.

Jo-Anne

> WinXP Pro, MCE, or Home?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> I'm about to install SP3 on my new notebook computer running Windows XP
>> SP2.
>> I've read everything I can about what to do before installing it, and I
>> think I'm ready to go, except for this: One of the pre-installation steps
>> is
>> to log on as administrator. I'm the sole user and administrator, and for
>> now
>> at least the computer boots without my having to log on at all. Does that
>> mean I'm already logged on as administrator? If not, what do I need to do
>> log on as administrator?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Re: SP3 pre-installation step
Thank you, Vincenzo! I'll read them before attempting the installation.

Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne wrote:

> Thank you, Vincenzo! I'll read them before attempting the installation.

YW. Glad to help and thank you for your feedback, Jo-Anne.

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

> "Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" <enzodirusso@xoom.it> wrote in message
>> Jo-Anne wrote:
>>
>>> I'm about to install SP3 on my new notebook computer running Windows XP
>>> SP2. I've read everything I can about what to do before installing it,
>>> and I think I'm ready to go, except for this: One of the
>>> pre-installation steps is to log on as administrator. I'm the sole user
>>> and administrator, and for now at least the computer boots without my
>>> having to log on at all. Does that mean I'm already logged on as
>>> administrator? If not, what do I need to do to log on as administrator?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

>> See:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm
>> "How to login as Administrator in Windows XP?"
>> And:

http://www.petri.co.il/add_the_administrator's_account_to_the_welcome_scr een_in_xp_pro.htm

>> --
>> Vincenzo Di Russo
>> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
>> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
>> My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
>> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

Re: SP3 pre-installation step
If it WinXP Home, don't worry about it.

Jo-Anne wrote:
> Sorry, Robear! The notebook is WinXP Pro; the desktop is WinXP Home.
>
> Jo-Anne

>> WinXP Pro, MCE, or Home?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> I'm about to install SP3 on my new notebook computer running Windows XP
>>> SP2.
>>> I've read everything I can about what to do before installing it, and I
>>> think I'm ready to go, except for this: One of the pre-installation
>>> steps
>>> is
>>> to log on as administrator. I'm the sole user and administrator, and for
>>> now
>>> at least the computer boots without my having to log on at all. Does
>>> that
>>> mean I'm already logged on as administrator? If not, what do I need to
>>> do
>>> log on as administrator?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Re: SP3 pre-installation step
But the notebook is XP Pro, and that's the computer that needs SP3. So...do
I definitely need to log on as administrator?

Thank you!

Jo-Anne