Re: error 0x80070005

PuPPeT DoG

Re: error 0x80070005
I'm having the same problem. Before I go ahead and do it, what does reseting
the registry keys do? I'm trying to install messenger live on my work laptop
and I just want to know that I'm not going to make some more serious problems
by reseting the registry keys.

It probably is the antivirus but i can't seem to turn it off. If I reset the
keys, what effect will it have on my laptop?

OS: Windows XP professional SP2
Antivirus: McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Agent

"TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> 0x80070005 - "access denied" to the registry keys involved in Windows Update
> Do you have an anti virus or something similar that is preventing WU for accessing the
> necessary registry keys?
>
> You can reset registry and file ACLs to their Default state by following the directions
> here:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...04/739820.aspx
>
> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> How to make a good post: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> Defending your machine: http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

> "solomona" <solomona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | when trying to download updates..microsoft windows installer 3.1 fials and
> | above error appears........help needed please

Re: error 0x80070005
Are you allowed to install any Messenger application at work or on a machine
owned by your employer?

PuPPeT DoG wrote:
> I'm having the same problem. Before I go ahead and do it, what does
> reseting
> the registry keys do? I'm trying to install messenger live on my work
> laptop
> and I just want to know that I'm not going to make some more serious
> problems by reseting the registry keys.
>
> It probably is the antivirus but i can't seem to turn it off. If I reset
> the
> keys, what effect will it have on my laptop?
>
> OS: Windows XP professional SP2
> Antivirus: McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Agent
>

> "TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 0x80070005 - "access denied" to the registry keys involved in Windows
>> Update
>> Do you have an anti virus or something similar that is preventing WU for
>> accessing the necessary registry keys?
>>
>> You can reset registry and file ACLs to their Default state by following
>> the directions here:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...04/739820.aspx
>>
>> --
>> ====================================
>> TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
>> ====================================
>> How to make a good post: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> Defending your machine: http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>>
>> Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may
>> benefit.
>>

>> "solomona" <solomona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> when trying to download updates..microsoft windows installer 3.1 fials
>>> and
>>> above error appears........help needed please

PuPPeT DoG

Re: error 0x80070005
Yeah I think so, the other people in my office have the same laptop and
setup, and they have been able to install the windows live messenger without
any problems.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you allowed to install any Messenger application at work or on a machine
> owned by your employer?
>
> PuPPeT DoG wrote:
> > I'm having the same problem. Before I go ahead and do it, what does
> > reseting
> > the registry keys do? I'm trying to install messenger live on my work
> > laptop
> > and I just want to know that I'm not going to make some more serious
> > problems by reseting the registry keys.
> >
> > It probably is the antivirus but i can't seem to turn it off. If I reset
> > the
> > keys, what effect will it have on my laptop?
> >
> > OS: Windows XP professional SP2
> > Antivirus: McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Agent
> >

> > "TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> 0x80070005 - "access denied" to the registry keys involved in Windows
> >> Update
> >> Do you have an anti virus or something similar that is preventing WU for
> >> accessing the necessary registry keys?
> >>
> >> You can reset registry and file ACLs to their Default state by following
> >> the directions here:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...04/739820.aspx
> >>
> >> --
> >> ====================================
> >> TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> >> ====================================
> >> How to make a good post: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >> Defending your machine: http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
> >> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
> >>
> >> Emails will not be acknowledged - please post to the newsgroup so all may
> >> benefit.

Re: error 0x80070005
In any event, installing Windows Live Messenger is not related to Windows
Update. Try posting in microsoft.public.windows.live.messenger newsgroup
instead.

PuPPeT DoG wrote:
> Yeah I think so, the other people in my office have the same laptop and
> setup, and they have been able to install the windows live messenger
> without
> any problems.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Are you allowed to install any Messenger application at work or on a
>> machine owned by your employer?
>>
>> PuPPeT DoG wrote:
>>> I'm having the same problem. Before I go ahead and do it, what does
>>> reseting
>>> the registry keys do? I'm trying to install messenger live on my work
>>> laptop
>>> and I just want to know that I'm not going to make some more serious
>>> problems by reseting the registry keys.
>>>
>>> It probably is the antivirus but i can't seem to turn it off. If I reset
>>> the
>>> keys, what effect will it have on my laptop?
>>>
>>> OS: Windows XP professional SP2
>>> Antivirus: McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Agent

PuPPeT DoG

Re: error 0x80070005
Yeah, but the problem fails at the windows update stage. Live messenger can't
even install because it says that a windows critical update is needed, and
when i go to the windows update site, i get this error.

But what happens when i reset registry keys, as per my initial question?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> In any event, installing Windows Live Messenger is not related to Windows
> Update. Try posting in microsoft.public.windows.live.messenger newsgroup
> instead.
>
> PuPPeT DoG wrote:
> > Yeah I think so, the other people in my office have the same laptop and
> > setup, and they have been able to install the windows live messenger
> > without
> > any problems.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Are you allowed to install any Messenger application at work or on a
> >> machine owned by your employer?

Re: error 0x80070005
[X-post to WLMessenger newsgroup]

What critical update is being offered by Windows Update (e.g., KB955702)
when you encounter the error?

Do you encounter this error if you temporarily disable your anti-virus
application before attempting to install the update?

Is Windows Messenger and/or MSN Messenger and/or an earlier version of
Windows Live Messenger currently installed?

> But what happens when i reset registry keys

Following the instructions in
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...04/739820.aspx will restore
Permissions to their default state.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net