PC being replaced in WSUS

Cindy B

PC being replaced in WSUS
Hi-
Hopefully someone else has run into this problem and found a solution... We
have several PC's that are not "staying" in the WSUS monitoring mmc. It
shows up and looks OK, but then it is replaced by another PC. We ran into
this a while ago, and realized that the imaged PCs need NEWSID ran in order
for WSUS to recognise them (and hold onto them). That worked until now.
Now it seems that any of our new PCs coming in (which are imaged and have
newsid run on them) are not staying connected in WSUS - they are continually
being replaced by other PC within their imaged group. We have confirmed the
the SIDs are unique.
The only other thing common to these, is they have mirrowed drives (which we
just started buying) - Would that affect how the newsid is applied?
Any ideas would be appreciated... thanks for your time!!!
Cindy
--
Cindy B
TaurArian

Re: PC being replaced in WSUS
"Cindy B" <benedett@brainerd.net> wrote in message

> Hi-
> Hopefully someone else has run into this problem and found a solution...
> We
> have several PC's that are not "staying" in the WSUS monitoring mmc. It
> shows up and looks OK, but then it is replaced by another PC. We ran into
> this a while ago, and realized that the imaged PCs need NEWSID ran in
> order
> for WSUS to recognise them (and hold onto them). That worked until now.
> Now it seems that any of our new PCs coming in (which are imaged and have
> newsid run on them) are not staying connected in WSUS - they are
> continually
> being replaced by other PC within their imaged group. We have confirmed
> the
> the SIDs are unique.
> The only other thing common to these, is they have mirrowed drives (which
> we
> just started buying) - Would that affect how the newsid is applied?
> Any ideas would be appreciated... thanks for your time!!!
> Cindy
> --
> Cindy B

Perhaps try the WSUS Newsgroup

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

In your newsreader:

Xposted for your convenience.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: PC being replaced in WSUS
Try the WSUS newsgroup, Cindy. We're just 'plebes' here dealing with
Window Update issues <w>:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

Forwarded to the above NG for Cindy's convenience.
Search for: Re: PC being replaced in WSUS

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Cindy B wrote:

> Hi-
> Hopefully someone else has run into this problem and found a solution... We
> have several PC's that are not "staying" in the WSUS monitoring mmc. It
> shows up and looks OK, but then it is replaced by another PC. We ran into
> this a while ago, and realized that the imaged PCs need NEWSID ran in order
> for WSUS to recognise them (and hold onto them). That worked until now.
> Now it seems that any of our new PCs coming in (which are imaged and have
> newsid run on them) are not staying connected in WSUS - they are continually
> being replaced by other PC within their imaged group. We have confirmed the
> the SIDs are unique.
> The only other thing common to these, is they have mirrowed drives (which we
> just started buying) - Would that affect how the newsid is applied?
> Any ideas would be appreciated... thanks for your time!!!
> Cindy

DaveMills

Re: PC being replaced in WSUS
Cindy, the usual cause is a duplicate SusClientID. This happens when a Client
computer is cloned after it has been allowed to update from WSUS

Google for SUSClientID and you will find a lot of hits such as
http://msmvps.com/blogs/athif/archiv.../04/65174.aspx

After the SUSClientID is deleted from the registry of a client it will create a
new SUSClientID the next time it contacts the WSUS server and the problem will
go away for that PC. Repeat for all affected PCs. I do this with a startup
script but be careful to run it only once per PC, especially if you are still
using WSUS 2.0

--
Dave Mills
There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Cindy B

Re: PC being replaced in WSUS
Thank you! The SUS ClientID was the problem, and your batch file did the
trick!
Thank you for your time and help!!!
Cindy
--