Is Windows Update Installing?

SNAFU1369

Is Windows Update Installing?
I have a Windows Vista Ultimate PC. When Windows Update is downloading
updates there is an icon in the tool tray to show this. But after the
download is done there is no icon to tell me that the updates are being
installed. XP would keep an icon in the tool tray while it was installing the
updates and you could open it to check on progress. But I cannot figure out
how to do this in Vista.

Can someone clue me in or do I have to just wait until Vista tells me to
reboot to know that the updates are installed?
--
SNAFU1369, MCSE

Re: Is Windows Update Installing?
After the updates have downloaded, Automatic Updates must be able to connect
to the server to be able to install them. Until that's possible, the AU
icon won't appear. The same behavior is seen in WinXP.

=====================

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

SNAFU1369 wrote:
> I have a Windows Vista Ultimate PC. When Windows Update is downloading
> updates there is an icon in the tool tray to show this. But after the
> download is done there is no icon to tell me that the updates are being
> installed. XP would keep an icon in the tool tray while it was installing
> the updates and you could open it to check on progress. But I cannot
> figure
> out how to do this in Vista.
>
> Can someone clue me in or do I have to just wait until Vista tells me to
> reboot to know that the updates are installed?

TaurArian

Re: Is Windows Update Installing?
You can check which updates are installed on your computer by -
Start button || Control Panel || Programs
Under Programs and Features - click View installed updates

With Vista, you most likely have to reboot yourself and you may or may not
get the notification that updates are installing etc.
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org