Latest Update

PhotoPhanatic

Latest Update
I have Windows XP and got the yellow shield notification that updates were
ready for me on September 31 and proceeded with installation. All went well
and I got the request to reboot, which I did. Unfortunately, the computer
would not reboot. I used Norton GoBack to return to conditions before the
update and all works fine now, but I am afraid to update. Has anyone else
had a problem with this update? Does anyone know if MS is working on the
problem?
Shenan Stanley

Re: Latest Update
PhotoPhanatic wrote:
> I have Windows XP and got the yellow shield notification that
> updates were ready for me on September 31 and proceeded with
> installation. All went well and I got the request to reboot, which
> I did. Unfortunately, the computer would not reboot. I used
> Norton GoBack to return to conditions before the update and all
> works fine now, but I am afraid to update. Has anyone else had a
> problem with this update? Does anyone know if MS is working on the
> problem?

Should we wait until we all catch up to you? (September 31? I knew they
would add that day at some point - just what year are you in? *grin*)

As far as I know - there is no problem like you are describing with last
months (August 2008) updates. You may want to do a full antivirus scan,
followed by a full antispyware scan. Check for hardware updates by visiting
each hardware manufacturer's web page (for each hardware component in your
computer.) I also suggest a full CHKDSK followed by a defragmentation or
two.

Then - visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and install anything it
needs you to *before* you get to the "Custom" or "Express" buttons. When
you do finally get to those, select Custom and let it scan your computer.
Look through the list of Critical/Security update (not Optional Software or
Optional Hardware) and make a list of the KB###### they give in the details.
Come back here and post that list of KB######'s so we can look over what it
is you need to install and help you specifically.

If you wish to just try it - choose ONE of the updates - unchecking the
rest - install it - reboot. If it does not cause you issues, repeat until
you have either installed all the updates and rebooted after each one
successfully - or you figure out which update is causing your specific
computer issues. Then you can come back here with some better details. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

PhotoPhanatic

Re: Latest Update
Sorry, meant August 31st - knew I should have just said Sunday! Thanks for
catching that and for the advice. I will review as you suggest and see what
happens.