WinXP update works but failure

Craig

WinXP update works but failure
Hi!
Just got the yellow icon meaning I have updates. Well, I updated the three
High Priority (HP) updates (KB938127, KB936181, Net Framewk 1.1 SP1). And it
seemed to go well no error messages. But upon completion is list all three
updates as install failures.

So I reboot and get yellow icon and sure enough the three updates are still
on the HP update list. But now they are listed as 0KB download and 0 minutes
to install.

I just got a new machine and loaded WinXP with SP2. Then updated to SP3 the
other night. So I am wondering how do I fix it so it records what I have
done correctly?

Thanks
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: WinXP update works but failure
Craig wrote:

> Just got the yellow icon meaning I have updates. Well, I updated the three
> High Priority (HP) updates (KB938127, KB936181, Net Framewk 1.1 SP1). And it
> seemed to go well no error messages. But upon completion is list all three
> updates as install failures.

The updates did not install. The fact that there were no error messages
displayed during the installation attempt is by design.

> So I reboot and get yellow icon and sure enough the three updates are still
> on the HP update list. But now they are listed as 0KB download and 0 minutes
> to install.

Also normal; this just means the updates are already downloaded.

Try the resolutions from this article:

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Try method 1 first and see if the installs now work. If not, try method 2. If
they still fail, go to the Start Menu, select Run, type "windowsupdate.log"
(without the quote marks) and press ENTER. Post the last hundred lines from the
log file to this newsgroup.

Harry.
TaurArian

RE: WinXP update works but failure
Hi Craig, see this article (ignore the title)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Usually method 1 is sufficient.
--
--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009

"Craig" wrote:

> Hi!
> Just got the yellow icon meaning I have updates. Well, I updated the three
> High Priority (HP) updates (KB938127, KB936181, Net Framewk 1.1 SP1). And it
> seemed to go well no error messages. But upon completion is list all three
> updates as install failures.
>
> So I reboot and get yellow icon and sure enough the three updates are still
> on the HP update list. But now they are listed as 0KB download and 0 minutes
> to install.
>
> I just got a new machine and loaded WinXP with SP2. Then updated to SP3 the
> other night. So I am wondering how do I fix it so it records what I have
> done correctly?
>
> Thanks

Craig

RE: WinXP update works but failure
Thanks for the help.
I used Method 1 and it seems to be working now.

Thanks again