SVCHOST.EXE after SP3 100% processor usage?

Bill

SVCHOST.EXE after SP3 100% processor usage?
After installing XP SP3 the processor immediately goes to 100% processor
usage until I terminate the wuauclt.exe process. Also, Microsoft Update
hangs at checking your computer and never completes. Does anyone know how to
solve this? My computer is NOT capable of upgrading to Vista according to
the manufacturer (HP)

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: SVCHOST.EXE after SP3 100% processor usage?
Bill wrote:

> After installing XP SP3 the processor immediately goes to 100% processor
> usage until I terminate the wuauclt.exe process. Also, Microsoft Update
> hangs at checking your computer and never completes. Does anyone know how to
> solve this? My computer is NOT capable of upgrading to Vista according to
> the manufacturer (HP)

Bill,

Download and *save* the latest Version of the Windows Update Agent:

32 bit [x86]
http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe

After the download completes, close all open browsers and programs.
Move windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe to C:\ without creating a folder for it.
Now go to Start > Run > type in the below and then press Enter or click OK

cmd
At the Command Prompt, type in the following, pressing Enter after
*each* command

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe
net start wuauserv
net start bits
exit

Give each command a little time to work before entering the next one.
Restart the system and see if svchost is still hogging CPU cycles.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Re: SVCHOST.EXE after SP3 100% processor usage?
Try Resolution Method 2 here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 (feel
free to ignore the title)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Bill wrote:
> After installing XP SP3 the processor immediately goes to 100% processor
> usage until I terminate the wuauclt.exe process. Also, Microsoft Update
> hangs at checking your computer and never completes. Does anyone know how
> to solve this? My computer is NOT capable of upgrading to Vista according
> to the manufacturer (HP)

Re: SVCHOST.EXE after SP3 100% processor usage?
[I shoulda stayed in bed.]

MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> After installing XP SP3 the processor immediately goes to 100% processor
>> usage until I terminate the wuauclt.exe process. Also, Microsoft Update
>> hangs at checking your computer and never completes. Does anyone know
>> how
>> to solve this? My computer is NOT capable of upgrading to Vista
>> according
>> to the manufacturer (HP)
>>

> Bill,
>
> Download and *save* the latest Version of the Windows Update Agent:
>
> 32 bit [x86]
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe
>
> After the download completes, close all open browsers and programs.
> Move windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe to C:\ without creating a folder for it.
> Now go to Start > Run > type in the below and then press Enter or click OK
>
> cmd
> At the Command Prompt, type in the following, pressing Enter after
> *each* command
>
> net stop wuauserv
> net stop bits
> c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe
> net start wuauserv
> net start bits
> exit
>
> Give each command a little time to work before entering the next one.
> Restart the system and see if svchost is still hogging CPU cycles.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: SVCHOST.EXE after SP3 100% processor usage?
You're not in bed ? <gdrvvf>