Windows Search Version 4 Failed Update

Nalp30

Windows Search Version 4 Failed Update
I have just downloaded the Windows Desktop Search version 4 update via the
Windows Update Custom option for my Windows XP system. The installation
failed. I then tried downloading it via the Download website. The
installation failed again. I am now left with a Search function that no
longer works - it tells me how to restart it but that doesn't work. I have
tried to uninstall it but have aborted this process after it warned me most
of my software would no longer work if I did! I have also tried a system
restore but that fails as well. What do I do to resolve this issue? Thanks
for any advice you give. Regards, Nick

Re: Windows Search Version 4 Failed Update
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.

Is an earlier version of Windows Desktop Search installed? Any error
messages?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Nalp30 wrote:
> I have just downloaded the Windows Desktop Search version 4 update via the
> Windows Update Custom option for my Windows XP system. The installation
> failed. I then tried downloading it via the Download website. The
> installation failed again. I am now left with a Search function that no
> longer works - it tells me how to restart it but that doesn't work. I
> have
> tried to uninstall it but have aborted this process after it warned me
> most
> of my software would no longer work if I did! I have also tried a system
> restore but that fails as well. What do I do to resolve this issue?
> Thanks
> for any advice you give. Regards, Nick

Nalp30

Re: Windows Search Version 4 Failed Update
WinXP SP3. I had the previous version installed - Version 3? No error
messages.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> posting to this newsgroup, please.
>
> Is an earlier version of Windows Desktop Search installed? Any error
> messages?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Nalp30 wrote:
> > I have just downloaded the Windows Desktop Search version 4 update via the
> > Windows Update Custom option for my Windows XP system. The installation
> > failed. I then tried downloading it via the Download website. The
> > installation failed again. I am now left with a Search function that no
> > longer works - it tells me how to restart it but that doesn't work. I
> > have
> > tried to uninstall it but have aborted this process after it warned me
> > most
> > of my software would no longer work if I did! I have also tried a system
> > restore but that fails as well. What do I do to resolve this issue?
> > Thanks
> > for any advice you give. Regards, Nick

Re: Windows Search Version 4 Failed Update
Windows Search 4 should install with Windows Desktop Search 3 installed.

That being said, see this Microsoft Update team blog entry for some possibly
helpful information:
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...tallation.aspx

Alternately, you could try (1) uninstalling Windows Desktop Search 3, (2)
reboot, and then (3) download/install WS4 manually. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157.
--
~PA Bear

Nalp30 wrote:
> WinXP SP3. I had the previous version installed - Version 3? No error
> messages.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1)
> >> when

>> posting to this newsgroup, please.
>>
>> Is an earlier version of Windows Desktop Search installed? Any error
>> messages?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Nalp30 wrote:
>>> I have just downloaded the Windows Desktop Search version 4 update via
>>> the
>>> Windows Update Custom option for my Windows XP system. The installation
>>> failed. I then tried downloading it via the Download website. The
>>> installation failed again. I am now left with a Search function that no
>>> longer works - it tells me how to restart it but that doesn't work. I
>>> have
>>> tried to uninstall it but have aborted this process after it warned me
>>> most
>>> of my software would no longer work if I did! I have also tried a
>>> system
>>> restore but that fails as well. What do I do to resolve this issue?
>>> Thanks
>>> for any advice you give. Regards, Nick

Nalp30

Re: Windows Search Version 4 Failed Update
Thanks - problem solved. The blog gave the answer. I just had to turn the
Terminal Services from Manual to Automatic and reinstall the Update.

Cheers, Nick

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Windows Search 4 should install with Windows Desktop Search 3 installed.
>
> That being said, see this Microsoft Update team blog entry for some possibly
> helpful information:
> http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...tallation.aspx
>
> Alternately, you could try (1) uninstalling Windows Desktop Search 3, (2)
> reboot, and then (3) download/install WS4 manually. See
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> Nalp30 wrote:
> > WinXP SP3. I had the previous version installed - Version 3? No error
> > messages.

> >> posting to this newsgroup, please.
> >>
> >> Is an earlier version of Windows Desktop Search installed? Any error
> >> messages?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Windows Search Version 4 Failed Update
YW & thanks for your feedback. In that case, I expect you'd have found an
0x643 error in WindowsUpdate.log.
--
~PA Bear

Nalp30 wrote:
> Thanks - problem solved. The blog gave the answer. I just had to turn
> the
> Terminal Services from Manual to Automatic and reinstall the Update.
>
> Cheers, Nick
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Windows Search 4 should install with Windows Desktop Search 3 installed.
>>
>> That being said, see this Microsoft Update team blog entry for some
>> possibly helpful information:
>> http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...tallation.aspx
>>
>> Alternately, you could try (1) uninstalling Windows Desktop Search 3, (2)
>> reboot, and then (3) download/install WS4 manually. See
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> Nalp30 wrote:
>>> WinXP SP3. I had the previous version installed - Version 3? No error
>>> messages.

Darth Andy

Re: Windows Search Version 4 Failed Update
I had the problem that "The uninstallation of a previous version of
desktop search has failed". Looked everywhere for the uninstaller but
because MS treated it as a hotfix it was in a hidden folder under C:
\Windows with KB917013 in the name. CCleaner had removed the folder
(*).

I had to remove a couple of references to the KB917013 folder from the
registry as suggested by Dave Wood in this post:
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Sho...59689&SiteID=1

(*) On the one hand I'd removed the uninstaller, so this was my fault,
but on the other, why wasn't the uninstaller in the program files
directory with the executable?