Okay to disconnect from Internet to install SP3?

BXPS

Okay to disconnect from Internet to install SP3?
Since it is recommended that virus software be disabled before installing
SP3, is it okay to download SP3, disconnect from Internet, disable virus
protection, then install SP3 while off-line? Or do I have to have an
Internet connection for the installation to work?

I'm running Norton Internet Security 2008.

By the way, I had not planned on installing SP3 but Microsoft finally sent
it to me automatically through the auto-update feature. I'm still not sure
if I should risk it. Things are running smoothly with SP2. Is there any
compelling reason to switch to SP3?
neo [mvp outlook]

Re: Okay to disconnect from Internet to install SP3?
Download/use this one for offline updating.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers

"BXPS" <BXPS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since it is recommended that virus software be disabled before installing
> SP3, is it okay to download SP3, disconnect from Internet, disable virus
> protection, then install SP3 while off-line? Or do I have to have an
> Internet connection for the installation to work?
>
> I'm running Norton Internet Security 2008.
>
> By the way, I had not planned on installing SP3 but Microsoft finally sent
> it to me automatically through the auto-update feature. I'm still not
> sure
> if I should risk it. Things are running smoothly with SP2. Is there any
> compelling reason to switch to SP3?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Okay to disconnect from Internet to install SP3?
Installing a Service Pack with NIS installed is akin to Russian
Roulette. You might get lucky and there will be a blank chamber, or you
might get unlucky and lose all your personal data, and have to reinstall XP.

FWIW, you can decline the update and then hide it to give yourself time
to ready the system for the application of SP3.
When the automatic update icon appears in the Notification area, click
on it. In the next window that appears, UNcheck the box next to
" KB936929 - Windows XP Service Pack 3 ". Click OK, a new window will
appear. Put a check next to ' Do not show me this update again ".
The downloaded setup package for SP3 will cycle off the system within a
period of time.

The package downloaded via Automatic Updates is not the entire
standalone package and the system would have to be connected to the net
in order to obtain any components not included.

Then read these 2 articles to prepare the system [ if you have not read
them already ]:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/

Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

Go and download the entire SP3 package and *save* it.

Install it *after* the system has been properly prepared.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

BXPS wrote:

> Since it is recommended that virus software be disabled before installing
> SP3, is it okay to download SP3, disconnect from Internet, disable virus
> protection, then install SP3 while off-line? Or do I have to have an
> Internet connection for the installation to work?
>
> I'm running Norton Internet Security 2008.
>
> By the way, I had not planned on installing SP3 but Microsoft finally sent
> it to me automatically through the auto-update feature. I'm still not sure
> if I should risk it. Things are running smoothly with SP2. Is there any
> compelling reason to switch to SP3?

Re: Okay to disconnect from Internet to install SP3?
You will not be able to install SP3 via Automatic Updates if the machine is
not connected to the internet, no.

Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

BXPS wrote:
> Since it is recommended that virus software be disabled before installing
> SP3, is it okay to download SP3, disconnect from Internet, disable virus
> protection, then install SP3 while off-line? Or do I have to have an
> Internet connection for the installation to work?
>
> I'm running Norton Internet Security 2008.
>
> By the way, I had not planned on installing SP3 but Microsoft finally sent
> it to me automatically through the auto-update feature. I'm still not
> sure
> if I should risk it. Things are running smoothly with SP2. Is there any
> compelling reason to switch to SP3?

BXPS

Re: Okay to disconnect from Internet to install SP3?
Thanks for your input. I believe I will just hide the update and let the SP3
setup package cycle off when it will. I'm perfectly happy with SP2 for now.
I'll deal with this when and if the time comes that MS won't send updates to
SP2 systems anymore.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Installing a Service Pack with NIS installed is akin to Russian
> Roulette. You might get lucky and there will be a blank chamber, or you
> might get unlucky and lose all your personal data, and have to reinstall XP.
>
> FWIW, you can decline the update and then hide it to give yourself time
> to ready the system for the application of SP3.
> When the automatic update icon appears in the Notification area, click
> on it. In the next window that appears, UNcheck the box next to
> " KB936929 - Windows XP Service Pack 3 ". Click OK, a new window will
> appear. Put a check next to ' Do not show me this update again ".
> The downloaded setup package for SP3 will cycle off the system within a
> period of time.
>
> The package downloaded via Automatic Updates is not the entire
> standalone package and the system would have to be connected to the net
> in order to obtain any components not included.
>
> Then read these 2 articles to prepare the system [ if you have not read
> them already ]:
>
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/
>
> Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> Go and download the entire SP3 package and *save* it.
>

> Install it *after* the system has been properly prepared.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> BXPS wrote:
>
> > Since it is recommended that virus software be disabled before installing
> > SP3, is it okay to download SP3, disconnect from Internet, disable virus
> > protection, then install SP3 while off-line? Or do I have to have an
> > Internet connection for the installation to work?
> >
> > I'm running Norton Internet Security 2008.
> >
> > By the way, I had not planned on installing SP3 but Microsoft finally sent
> > it to me automatically through the auto-update feature. I'm still not sure
> > if I should risk it. Things are running smoothly with SP2. Is there any
> > compelling reason to switch to SP3?

Re: Okay to disconnect from Internet to install SP3?
You have until April 2010 to get SP3 installed.

Free installation support for SP3 ends in April 2009.

BXPS wrote:
> Thanks for your input. I believe I will just hide the update and let the
> SP3 setup package cycle off when it will. I'm perfectly happy with SP2
> for
> now. I'll deal with this when and if the time comes that MS won't send
> updates to SP2 systems anymore.
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Installing a Service Pack with NIS installed is akin to Russian
>> Roulette. You might get lucky and there will be a blank chamber, or you
>> might get unlucky and lose all your personal data, and have to reinstall
>> XP.
>>
>> FWIW, you can decline the update and then hide it to give yourself time
>> to ready the system for the application of SP3.
>> When the automatic update icon appears in the Notification area, click
>> on it. In the next window that appears, UNcheck the box next to
>> " KB936929 - Windows XP Service Pack 3 ". Click OK, a new window will
>> appear. Put a check next to ' Do not show me this update again ".
>> The downloaded setup package for SP3 will cycle off the system within a
>> period of time.
>>
>> The package downloaded via Automatic Updates is not the entire
>> standalone package and the system would have to be connected to the net
>> in order to obtain any components not included.
>>
>> Then read these 2 articles to prepare the system [ if you have not read
>> them already ]:
>>
>> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/
>>
>> Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>
>> Go and download the entire SP3 package and *save* it.
>>

>> Install it *after* the system has been properly prepared.
>>

>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> BXPS wrote:
>>
>>> Since it is recommended that virus software be disabled before
>>> installing
>>> SP3, is it okay to download SP3, disconnect from Internet, disable virus
>>> protection, then install SP3 while off-line? Or do I have to have an
>>> Internet connection for the installation to work?
>>>
>>> I'm running Norton Internet Security 2008.
>>>
>>> By the way, I had not planned on installing SP3 but Microsoft finally
>>> sent
>>> it to me automatically through the auto-update feature. I'm still not
>>> sure if I should risk it. Things are running smoothly with SP2. Is
>>> there any compelling reason to switch to SP3?

BXPS

Re: Okay to disconnect from Internet to install SP3?
Okay, PA Bear, thanks for that info. I will keep those dates in mind and
deal with this later.