Access Denied when installing XP service pack 2

John

Access Denied when installing XP service pack 2
I rencently installed SP 2 on my pc. Everything was going great until I
received an error message near the end of the installation saying "access
denied". I'm the administrator so I don't see a problem there. I was away
from my pc so I couldn't see what installment made it receive an error
message.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Access Denied when installing XP service pack 2
John wrote:
> I rencently installed SP 2 on my pc. Everything was going great
> until I received an error message near the end of the installation
> saying "access denied". I'm the administrator so I don't see a
> problem there. I was away from my pc so I couldn't see what
> installment made it receive an error message.

** Why SP2?

Tried any searches?
http://www.google.com/search?q=Windo...+Access+Denied

Anyway...

You receive an error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack
2 or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1: "Access is denied"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148

Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access is
denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Access Denied when installing XP service pack 2
Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
“Service Pack installation did not complete”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

[Fix:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...n-windows-xp/]

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

John wrote:
> I rencently installed SP 2 on my pc. Everything was going great until I
> received an error message near the end of the installation saying "access
> denied". I'm the administrator so I don't see a problem there. I was away
> from my pc so I couldn't see what installment made it receive an error
> message.

John

Re: Access Denied when installing XP service pack 2
When i try to run a secedit command the following error pops up
'secedit' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable
program or batch file.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
> “Service Pack installation did not complete”
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
>
> [Fix:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...n-windows-xp/]

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> John wrote:
> > I rencently installed SP 2 on my pc. Everything was going great until I
> > received an error message near the end of the installation saying "access
> > denied". I'm the administrator so I don't see a problem there. I was away
> > from my pc so I couldn't see what installment made it receive an error
> > message.

Jim

> When i try to run a secedit command the following error pops up
> 'secedit' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable
> program or batch file.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
>> "Service Pack installation did not complete"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
>>
>> [Fix:
>> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...n-windows-xp/]
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>> "Windows
>> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> John wrote:
>> > I rencently installed SP 2 on my pc. Everything was going great until I
>> > received an error message near the end of the installation saying
>> > "access
>> > denied". I'm the administrator so I don't see a problem there. I was
>> > away
>> > from my pc so I couldn't see what installment made it receive an error
>> > message.

There is no file "secedit.exe" in my windows folder, but there is one called
"secedt.exe". Isn't this just a typo in the KB article?
Jim

Re: Access Denied when installing XP service pack 2
Did you try Method 1 and Method 2 first?

Did you try
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...in-windows-xp/ ?
--
~PA Bear