Windows update not installing files.

SquelchKnob

Windows update not installing files.
I have a new hard drive preloaded with my software from Dell. I figured I
would start to work on it by downloading all of the Windows updates. I did
one cycle of updates then was told to restart the computer. Now I am unable
to download and install any updates at all. I also am unable to download &
install MSN Live either. Something seems to be blocking me from any Microsoft
updates. This is a Dell XPS Gen 2 Laptop running XP Pro. From another forum I
visit I see there are others with Dell Machines having the same problem.
Their recommendation is for me to dump the hard drive. and start again. I
find it hard to believe that is the only fix for this. An example of the
error I get is below.
"Some Updates could not be installed

The following updates could not be installed.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB953838)
Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5
(KB923689)
Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 and 11
(KB941569)
Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB938127)

Any ideas on how I can resolve this without dumping a hard drive??
Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows update not installing files.
SquelchKnob wrote:
> I have a new hard drive preloaded with my software from Dell. I
> figured I would start to work on it by downloading all of the
> Windows updates. I did one cycle of updates then was told to
> restart the computer. Now I am unable to download and install any
> updates at all. I also am unable to download & install MSN Live
> either. Something seems to be blocking me from any Microsoft
> updates. This is a Dell XPS Gen 2 Laptop running XP Pro. From
> another forum I visit I see there are others with Dell Machines
> having the same problem. Their recommendation is for me to dump the
> hard drive. and start again. I find it hard to believe that is the
> only fix for this. An example of the error I get is below. "Some
> Updates could not be installed
>
> The following updates could not be installed.
>
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
> (KB953838) Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format
> Runtime 9.5 (KB923689)
> Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime
> 9.5 and 11 (KB941569)
> Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB938127)
>
> Any ideas on how I can resolve this without dumping a hard drive??

Your problem is a familar one - and here is the solution(s) I recommend to
fix
your computer...

First thing to try:
As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

** Second thing to try:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset
** Temporarily down (??) for internal audit. Skip this fix for now. I will
leave the link in case it comes back up.

Third thing to try:
Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Reboot.
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

Usually - method one from the first suggestion fixes the issue.
Sometimes they have to proceed to method two from the first suggestion.

Less seldom - but it does happen - only the tool from the second suggestion
will work - although the first suggestion is contained within the second in
many ways (as well as some of the third.)

And the third suggestion is there because before there was a suggestion (1)
and a suggestion (2) - the third was the best bet and worked in most cases.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Windows update not installing files.
Can you not install any updates or just those 4?

Is it a WinXP MCE 2005 machine? Is SP2 or SP3 installed?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

SquelchKnob wrote:
> I have a new hard drive preloaded with my software from Dell. I figured I
> would start to work on it by downloading all of the Windows updates. I did
> one cycle of updates then was told to restart the computer. Now I am
> unable
> to download and install any updates at all. I also am unable to download &
> install MSN Live either. Something seems to be blocking me from any
> Microsoft updates. This is a Dell XPS Gen 2 Laptop running XP Pro. From
> another forum I visit I see there are others with Dell Machines having the
> same problem. Their recommendation is for me to dump the hard drive. and
> start again. I find it hard to believe that is the only fix for this. An
> example of the error I get is below.
> "Some Updates could not be installed
>
> The following updates could not be installed.
>
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
> (KB953838)
> Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5
> (KB923689)
> Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 and
> 11
> (KB941569)
> Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB938127)
>
> Any ideas on how I can resolve this without dumping a hard drive??

Liberator

Re: Windows update not installing files.

I'm have the same problem like that *** at the top of the web page it wont
installed any updates not even the optional updates wont work. It just dont
work at all and its really making me think about changing my whole computer
inside out and never using Windows ever again!

Liberator wrote:
> I'm have the same problem like that *** at the top of the web page
> it wont installed any updates not even the optional updates wont
> work. It just dont work at all and its really making me think about
> changing my whole computer inside out and never using Windows ever
> again!

Well, sure - that would trade all your problems for new ones... Or you
could just fix everything.

As far as, "I'm have the same problem like that *** at the top of the web
page..." --> Assuming I read that correctly and assuming (since this is a
newsgroup and not a web page - no matter how you have chosen to access it
and from what interface - meaning there are many ways and not everyone sees
the same thing and you did not bother to quote anything from the previous
posting) that you mean you have the same problem as this person:

SquelchKnob wrote:
> I have a new hard drive preloaded with my software from Dell. I
> figured I would start to work on it by downloading all of the
> Windows updates. I did one cycle of updates then was told to
> restart the computer. Now I am unable to download and install any
> updates at all. I also am unable to download & install MSN Live
> either. Something seems to be blocking me from any Microsoft
> updates. This is a Dell XPS Gen 2 Laptop running XP Pro. From
> another forum I visit I see there are others with Dell Machines
> having the same problem. Their recommendation is for me to dump the
> hard drive. and start again. I find it hard to believe that is the
> only fix for this. An example of the error I get is below. "Some
> Updates could not be installed
>
> The following updates could not be installed.
>
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
> (KB953838) Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format
> Runtime 9.5 (KB923689)
> Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime
> 9.5 and 11 (KB941569)
> Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB938127)
>
> Any ideas on how I can resolve this without dumping a hard drive??

Then my solution to that person would be the solution for you to investigate
as well: