Do I really, really need vista service pack 1

Pauline

Do I really, really need vista service pack 1
can someone tell me if I really need tro intall vista service pack 1, `cos it
failed to install (error 4c7) and I`m a bit brain dead when it comes to
computer stuff, so if I can leave it I`d rather do so , I`m also worried
that it might take up a lot of space on my new Sony VA1, it took me 2 years
to save for a pucker lap top and I don`t want to muck it up

Thank you in advance
Pauline X
Gordon

Re: Do I really, really need vista service pack 1
"Pauline" <Pauline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can someone tell me if I really need tro intall vista service pack 1,

yes you do.

> `cos it failed to install (error 4c7)

See here for solutions:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2575&SiteID=17

> I`m also worried that it might take up a lot of space on my new Sony VA1,

Shouldn't do - having said that, if you bought a laptop with a disk that you
are worried about filling, then you bought one too small!

Kayman

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 04:50:01 -0700, Pauline wrote:

> can someone tell me if I really need tro intall vista service pack 1, `cos it
> failed to install (error 4c7) and I`m a bit brain dead when it comes to
> computer stuff, so if I can leave it I`d rather do so , I`m also worried
> that it might take up a lot of space on my new Sony VA1, it took me 2 years
> to save for a pucker lap top and I don`t want to muck it up

Why Service Packs are Better Than Patches.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc....mspx?mfr=true

Re: Do I really, really need vista service pack 1
Yes.

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Pauline wrote:
> can someone tell me if I really need tro intall vista service pack 1, `cos
> it failed to install (error 4c7) and I`m a bit brain dead when it comes to
> computer stuff, so if I can leave it I`d rather do so , I`m also worried
> that it might take up a lot of space on my new Sony VA1, it took me 2
> years
> to save for a pucker lap top and I don`t want to muck it up
>
> Thank you in advance
> Pauline X

Alan

Re: Do I really, really need vista service pack 1
Hello Pauline,

I think that Service Packs are important enough to be installed, and should
not be thought of as being 'optional.'

By the way, what does 'pucker' mean?

Alan

"Alan" <somewhere@nospam.not> wrote in message

> By the way, what does 'pucker' mean?

It's a mis-spelling - should be "pukka". It's an Indian (Hindi?) word
meaning absolutely top-hole, as in "Pukka Sahib".

Pauline

Re: Do I really, really need vista service pack 1
At the moment I have got plenty of space Gorden, but I use a lot of space for
photos and i don`t want to risk slowing things down as has happened to my
old desk top

Pauline

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Pauline" <Pauline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > can someone tell me if I really need tro intall vista service pack 1,

> yes you do.
>
> > `cos it failed to install (error 4c7)

> See here for solutions:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2575&SiteID=17
>
> > I`m also worried that it might take up a lot of space on my new Sony VA1,

> Shouldn't do - having said that, if you bought a laptop with a disk that you
> are worried about filling, then you bought one too small!

Pauline

Re: Do I really, really need vista service pack 1
Thanks Alan, straight to the point and makes sense, I`ll have to check out
the very helpful threads that the othes have very kindly taken the time to
post and find some time to install the service pack

By the way "pucker" means "quality" "very nice" "The business!" ect.

Pauline

"Alan" wrote:

> Hello Pauline,
>
> I think that Service Packs are important enough to be installed, and should
> not be thought of as being 'optional.'
>
> By the way, what does 'pucker' mean?
>
> Alan
>
> "Pauline" <Pauline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > can someone tell me if I really need tro intall vista service pack 1, `cos
> > it
> > failed to install (error 4c7) and I`m a bit brain dead when it comes to
> > computer stuff, so if I can leave it I`d rather do so , I`m also worried
> > that it might take up a lot of space on my new Sony VA1, it took me 2
> > years
> > to save for a pucker lap top and I don`t want to muck it up
> >
> > Thank you in advance
> > Pauline X

Pauline

Re: Do I really, really need vista service pack 1
Thanks very much, Thats very helpful

Pauline

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Yes.
>
> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
> at no charge through 18 Mar-09
>
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Pauline wrote:
> > can someone tell me if I really need tro intall vista service pack 1, `cos
> > it failed to install (error 4c7) and I`m a bit brain dead when it comes to
> > computer stuff, so if I can leave it I`d rather do so , I`m also worried
> > that it might take up a lot of space on my new Sony VA1, it took me 2
> > years
> > to save for a pucker lap top and I don`t want to muck it up
> >
> > Thank you in advance
> > Pauline X

Pauline

Re: Do I really, really need vista service pack 1
Thank you, that is very helpful information, I now know I do need to install
SP1 and I will do some as soon as I work out what the problem was when I
initially tried to install it, maybe I interupted the installation in some
way or another, or perhaps it was a passing husband who did something and
he`s just not telling me what he did

Thank you from
Pauline