Re: Error message 0x8DDD0004 and Microsoft solution does not work

TaurArian

Re: Error message 0x8DDD0004 and Microsoft solution does not work
Xposted to Windows Update Newsgroup

Error that you see in the upper-right corner when you visit the Windows
Update Web site on a Windows XP-based computer: "[Error number: 0x8DDD0004]"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914224

Error message when you scan for updates on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based
computer: "Error number: 0x8DDD0004"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914227

Also check and make sure you accepted the Microsoft Trust Certificate

See: To turn on automatic updating of trusted root authority certificates
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc786443.aspx

1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. Select the Update Root Certificates check box.
4. Click Next, and then click Finish.

Note
.. To open Add/Remove Windows Components, click Start, click Control Panel,
click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Disgruntled Customer" <DisgruntledCustomer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:6321B786-891A-4F76-B951-2DE652549DDA@microsoft.com...
>I cannot, for my life, get access to the Windows Update page of updates and
> as a result cannot receive any updates, as I keep getting this error code,
> 0x8DDD0004. I tried the MS suggested solutions but to no avail, changed
> security in Registry as they suggested , enabled the Web Control requried,
> logged on as Administrator but still no resolution.
>
> Any thoughts from anyone?
>
> Terry H

Disgruntled Customer

Re: Error message 0x8DDD0004 and Microsoft solution does not work
Unforntunately all these solutions I tried and none worked. I am afraid that
I will have to zap my entire hard drive and re-install the OS and all other
software. Painful but maybe practical as I have exhausted all other possible
solutions. The only thing that I can think of is this; I believe that some
malicious sooftware wrecked the security settings in the registry or
something along those llines perhaps so I will re-install everything. Norton
"360" did not stop it.

Thanks for the suggesed solutions, nonetheless and take care.
Terry

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Xposted to Windows Update Newsgroup
>
> Error that you see in the upper-right corner when you visit the Windows
> Update Web site on a Windows XP-based computer: "[Error number: 0x8DDD0004]"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914224
>
> Error message when you scan for updates on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based
> computer: "Error number: 0x8DDD0004"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914227
>
> Also check and make sure you accepted the Microsoft Trust Certificate
>
> See: To turn on automatic updating of trusted root authority certificates
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc786443.aspx
>
> 1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs
> 2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
> 3. Select the Update Root Certificates check box.
> 4. Click Next, and then click Finish.
>
> Note
> .. To open Add/Remove Windows Components, click Start, click Control Panel,
> click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Disgruntled Customer" <DisgruntledCustomer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:6321B786-891A-4F76-B951-2DE652549DDA@microsoft.com...
> >I cannot, for my life, get access to the Windows Update page of updates and
> > as a result cannot receive any updates, as I keep getting this error code,
> > 0x8DDD0004. I tried the MS suggested solutions but to no avail, changed
> > security in Registry as they suggested , enabled the Web Control requried,
> > logged on as Administrator but still no resolution.
> >
> > Any thoughts from anyone?
> >
> > Terry H

MowGreen [MVP]

Disgruntled Customer wrote:

> Unforntunately all these solutions I tried and none worked. I am afraid that
> I will have to zap my entire hard drive and re-install the OS and all other
> software. Painful but maybe practical as I have exhausted all other possible
> solutions. The only thing that I can think of is this; I believe that some
> malicious sooftware wrecked the security settings in the registry or
> something along those llines perhaps so I will re-install everything. Norton
> "360" did not stop it.
>
> Thanks for the suggesed solutions, nonetheless and take care.
> Terry

Norton 360 is ... worthless. Not only did it NOT protect the system it,
in itself, probably caused OS issues.
So, if you're going to go through all the trouble of formatting and
reinstalling, do yourself and the system a favor ... dump Norton.

Get a free AV [Avast/AntiVir are decent and *are* compatible with
Windows, unlike any Norton 'product'], get a free firewall, if that
suits your needs [Online Armor is decent], get free anti-spyware
apps/programs [Spybot/SpywareBlaster/WindowsDefender,etc.], in other
words, roll your own security suite, but do not depend on ones rolled
for you. <w> *Especially* anything Symantec offers for Home Users of
Windows.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten