2 Update or Not Update - XP SP3?

Tmuldoon

2 Update or Not Update - XP SP3?
I am running XP Professional 2002 SP2.

Pretty sure it is not a legit copy - computer is 2nd hand and was
purchased as is - doutbt MS will help me. Updates seem to work on it
- so does that mean the SP3 will work on it?

I don't like IE 7, happy with IE 6. This system is relatively
stable. I am happy with it.

AMD 64 3000+ 1.81 Ghz with 1.0 Ram
250 gig hd

And about 4 years old.

Any point updating it to a new SP? My fear is, I have no original
disks. If it fails, my computer is pooched. Nothing on it is super
valuable (backed up) - just don't want to put in the effort of having
to get it redone.

Is it worth the risk?

Thanks,

Tmuldoon

Shenan Stanley

Re: 2 Update or Not Update - XP SP3?
Tmuldoon wrote:
> I am running XP Professional 2002 SP2.

Okay.

> Pretty sure it is not a legit copy - computer is 2nd hand and was
> purchased as is - doutbt MS will help me. Updates seem to work on
> it - so does that mean the SP3 will work on it?

If you have WGA installed and have not had issues yet - sounds like a
legitimate license to me. Personally - I would go ahead and download Belarc
Advisor and install/run it and print the results. That will contain your
Windows XP product key - for safe keeping. Hopefully you already have a
copy of your installation media someplace.

> I don't like IE 7, happy with IE 6. This system is relatively
> stable. I am happy with it.

Fantastic - although I do wonder why you mention Internet Explorer 6/7 in
reference to a posting that seems to revolve arond SP3... Theey are not
related or dependent on one another in any way. SP3 does not contain IE7
nore require it (nor vice-versa.)

> AMD 64 3000+ 1.81 Ghz with 1.0 Ram
> 250 gig hd

AMD *could* cause a problem - especially if the machine is also an HP. Some
HPs were installed in a way that causes trouble when SP3 is installed unless
a little pre-planning and effort is done. Basically HP created a Windows XP
install on a bunch of Intel-based machines and applied that to AMD based
machines as well and SP3 changes some things and because they were not
installed by HP correctly - it can cause issues. It is a known thing with
an easy work-around.

> And about 4 years old.

Depending on who you are - that can be considered 'end-of-life'. In most
places of business I support (and depending on the individual - perhaps even
then) I suggest 4 to 5 year cycles of replacement (or upgrade.)

> Any point updating it to a new SP?

Sure - if you plan on keeping that machine and you want to stay up to date
for your entire ownership (up to date and protected that is.)

> My fear is, I have no original disks. If it fails, my computer
> is pooched. Nothing on it is super valuable (backed up) -
> just don't want to put in the effort of having to get it redone.
>
> Is it worth the risk?

short:
- Find out if you have a legitimate copy or not (Belarc Advisor will get you
the product key, do you have a sticker on the machine and does it match the
Belarc retrieved one?)
- You likely should start making backups.
- You do not necessarily *need* SP3 - after all - there are people happily
running Windows 9x, *nux, OS X (probably OS9 even) - they don't need SP3.
There are probably people without computers. You would be wise to install
SP3 if for no other reasons than future support and security.

long:
You are living in denial. You are worried about applying a service pack to
your computer when you should be worried about everything else you mentioned
first.

"I have no original disks" <-- you need to resolve this in some way.

I am unsure what, "Nothing on it is super valuable (backed up)", really
means - but if it means you do not do any backups <-- you need to resolve
this in some way.

If you combined the two above with a solution like imaging (using a third
party program to make an exact copy of the entire hard disk drive to some
external media - for most home users, an external hard disk drive is the
easiest, least expensive and most flexible storage medium.) Something easy
like Acronis TrueImage, Symantec/Norton Ghost, BootItNG, etc.

Yes - effort is involved. Some money too for the product and the drive.
However - if something goes wrong after you make an image - you can restore
to that last image. It is also recommended that after you make the image
you continue with normal file/folder backups... As the image is a snapshot
in time. It's good up to the minute you took it - not after. You can
choose to take an image and then backup your important stuff with normal
backups, and then do this again periodically. That is probably the best
protection for someone without the original installation media.

If it can be determined what type of media was used to install your
seemingly legitimate copy of Windows XP - then it is entirely plausible you
could get another CD by borrowing/copying one from a friend, etc. If it is
an OEM - you need a generic OEM CD. If it is retail, you need a retail CD.
If it is Volume License - you are right and it is not legitimate (given your
story.) You might try (if not volume license):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

SP3 is a major update. It should be treated as such.

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Tmuldoon

Re: 2 Update or Not Update - XP SP3?
Hi there!

Many thanks for the informative response. I thought the SP would
include IE7 on it - glad it did not.

I ran Belarc and it said:
e. This may be the manufacturer's factory installed product key rather
than yours

...assume that is OK.

Since all the other updates worked - I guess SP3 should work.

Yes...I should be getting a new system soon.....if I do, it will
probably come preloaded with Vista...and I would rather wait about a
year till Vista is more palatable. Too many mixed reviews about this
OS. XP - I like it!

Tmuldoon