can only boot in safe mode after installing xp sp3

a0168090

can only boot in safe mode after installing xp sp3
I installed sp3 update on Windows XP. Now I can only boot in safe mode (with
networkding). Any ideas how to get around thi
Shenan Stanley

Re: can only boot in safe mode after installing xp sp3
a0168090 wrote:
> I installed sp3 update on Windows XP. Now I can only boot in safe
> mode (with networkding). Any ideas how to get around this?

- Computer make/model and CPU type (AMD, Intel?)
- AntiVirus software in use and last full scan with it?
- AntiSpyware software in use and last full scan with it?
- Last time you ran a full CHKDSK and a full defragmentation on the hard
disk drive?
- Last full backup?
- Last time (if ever) you updated the hardware drivers on the system
(motherboard chipset, video card, sound card, network card, etc.)? And
*how* you did this from *where*?

Likely the most important question:
- System Restore is enabled or disabled?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Kristin

Re: can only boot in safe mode after installing xp sp3
I am having the same exact problem. Screen is stuck with the Windows xp lofo
for 2 hours. Turn off and can start in safe mode.
Dell DImension 4300S Pentium4
AVG antivirus daily scan
Scotty Watchdog real time
defrag 2 weeks ago
no full backup
never updated hardware drives
system restore enabled, but tried to latest restore point and still stuck on
same windows xp logo screen

--
Kristin

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> a0168090 wrote:
> > I installed sp3 update on Windows XP. Now I can only boot in safe
> > mode (with networkding). Any ideas how to get around this?

> - Computer make/model and CPU type (AMD, Intel?)
> - AntiVirus software in use and last full scan with it?
> - AntiSpyware software in use and last full scan with it?
> - Last time you ran a full CHKDSK and a full defragmentation on the hard
> disk drive?
> - Last full backup?
> - Last time (if ever) you updated the hardware drivers on the system
> (motherboard chipset, video card, sound card, network card, etc.)? And
> *how* you did this from *where*?
>
> Likely the most important question:
> - System Restore is enabled or disabled?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

TaurArian

Re: can only boot in safe mode after installing xp sp3
How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Where to get assistance -

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)

Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid
until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy, visit the
Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Chat and e-mail support is
available only in the United States and Canada. For all other Windows XP
issues, visit the Help and Support site at
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173, and then choose
your product.

.. US:

.. CA:

.. UK:

.. AU:

.. Other:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173
select Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

news234CA37-85D2-4025-BC92-ABFB897D10B6@microsoft.com...