Re: Error in Microsoft Update - Administrators Only

Re: Error in Microsoft Update - Administrators Only
[Crosspost to WU newsgroup]

WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3?

Is this a sudden, new problem?

You receive one or more error messages when the system administrator
disables Windows Update or Microsoft Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326686

You receive an "Administrators only" error message when you try to visit the
Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524

Also see:

"When trying to access the Windows Update Web site you receive the following
error message: Access Denied. Please check with your System Administrator
(Windows XP and Windows 2000)"
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Hemanth wrote:
> I get the following error on Windows XP x64 Professional when I try to do
> Microsoft update. I tried to run Microsoft update by right clicking on the
> update program. Here I selected 'Run as', and unchecked 'Run this program
> with restricted access.

<snip>
> I tried to run the update with firewall disabled. But still the error
> stays!
>
> Help is appreciated very much!

Hemanth

Re: Error in Microsoft Update - Administrators Only
Hi
SP2.
I am the Administrator but still I receive 'Administrators Only' error.
Thanks,
Hemanth

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to WU newsgroup]
>
> WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3?
>
> Is this a sudden, new problem?
>
> You receive one or more error messages when the system administrator
> disables Windows Update or Microsoft Update:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326686
>
> You receive an "Administrators only" error message when you try to visit the
> Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524
>
> Also see:
>
> "When trying to access the Windows Update Web site you receive the following
> error message: Access Denied. Please check with your System Administrator
> (Windows XP and Windows 2000)"
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Hemanth wrote:
> > I get the following error on Windows XP x64 Professional when I try to do
> > Microsoft update. I tried to run Microsoft update by right clicking on the
> > update program. Here I selected 'Run as', and unchecked 'Run this program
> > with restricted access.

> <snip>
> > I tried to run the update with firewall disabled. But still the error
> > stays!
> >
> > Help is appreciated very much!

Re: Error in Microsoft Update - Administrators Only
Did none of the information at the links I posted earlier help at all? Is
this a sudden, new problem?

Hemanth wrote:
> SP2.
> I am the Administrator but still I receive 'Administrators Only' error.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Crosspost to WU newsgroup]
>>
>> WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3?
>>
>> Is this a sudden, new problem?
>>
>> You receive one or more error messages when the system administrator
>> disables Windows Update or Microsoft Update:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326686
>>
>> You receive an "Administrators only" error message when you try to visit
>> the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524
>>
>> Also see:
>>
>> "When trying to access the Windows Update Web site you receive the
>> following error message: Access Denied. Please check with your System
>> Administrator (Windows XP and Windows 2000)"
>> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Hemanth wrote:
>>> I get the following error on Windows XP x64 Professional when I try to
>>> do
>>> Microsoft update. I tried to run Microsoft update by right clicking on
>>> the
>>> update program. Here I selected 'Run as', and unchecked 'Run this
>>> program
>>> with restricted access.

>> <snip>
>>> I tried to run the update with firewall disabled. But still the error
>>> stays!
>>>
>>> Help is appreciated very much!

Vinicio Guzman

Re: Error in Microsoft Update - Administrators Only
I have a DELL Precision M90 with Windows XP PRO x64 and I received the same
error when I installed the HP C8180 All-in-one printer. I tried everything
to fix the "Admnistrator Only" error. The way I fix it was by editing the
regestry. Follow these steps:

Hit "Start"
Hit "Run"
Type "regedit" (without the "")
Look for the key
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings\User Agent]
Using the right click on your mouse select "DELETE"
Make sure you delete the parrent key and all the subkeys on it.
REBOOT your computer.
Try windows update again.
Good Luck !!

Vinicio Guzman
MD, USA

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to WU newsgroup]
>
> WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3?
>
> Is this a sudden, new problem?
>
> You receive one or more error messages when the system administrator
> disables Windows Update or Microsoft Update:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326686
>
> You receive an "Administrators only" error message when you try to visit the
> Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524
>
> Also see:
>
> "When trying to access the Windows Update Web site you receive the following
> error message: Access Denied. Please check with your System Administrator
> (Windows XP and Windows 2000)"
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Hemanth wrote:
> > I get the following error on Windows XP x64 Professional when I try to do
> > Microsoft update. I tried to run Microsoft update by right clicking on the
> > update program. Here I selected 'Run as', and unchecked 'Run this program
> > with restricted access.

> <snip>
> > I tried to run the update with firewall disabled. But still the error
> > stays!
> >
> > Help is appreciated very much!

M.Kozarski

Re: Error in Microsoft Update - Administrators Only
ThanX Vinizio! It's working on my x64

"Vinicio Guzman" wrote:

> I have a DELL Precision M90 with Windows XP PRO x64 and I received the same
> error when I installed the HP C8180 All-in-one printer. I tried everything
> to fix the "Admnistrator Only" error. The way I fix it was by editing the
> regestry. Follow these steps:
>
> Hit "Start"
> Hit "Run"
> Type "regedit" (without the "")
> Look for the key
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
> Settings\User Agent]
> Using the right click on your mouse select "DELETE"
> Make sure you delete the parrent key and all the subkeys on it.
> REBOOT your computer.
> Try windows update again.
> Good Luck !!
>
> Vinicio Guzman
> MD, USA
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > [Crosspost to WU newsgroup]
> >
> > WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3?
> >
> > Is this a sudden, new problem?
> >
> > You receive one or more error messages when the system administrator
> > disables Windows Update or Microsoft Update:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326686
> >
> > You receive an "Administrators only" error message when you try to visit the
> > Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524
> >
> > Also see:
> >
> > "When trying to access the Windows Update Web site you receive the following
> > error message: Access Denied. Please check with your System Administrator
> > (Windows XP and Windows 2000)"
> > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >

> > Hemanth wrote:
> > > I get the following error on Windows XP x64 Professional when I try to do
> > > Microsoft update. I tried to run Microsoft update by right clicking on the
> > > update program. Here I selected 'Run as', and unchecked 'Run this program
> > > with restricted access.

> > <snip>
> > > I tried to run the update with firewall disabled. But still the error
> > > stays!
> > >
> > > Help is appreciated very much!

Jollyrgr

Re: Error in Microsoft Update - Administrators Only
EXCELLENT JOB VINICIO! This is what I needed to fix my problem. Renamed
key (instead of deleting), rebooted, and Windows Updates work!

<SNIP>