Windows Update

Jim

Windows Update
I recently had a virus and had to reinstall Window XP and am getting an error
message and failed windows updates when I try install updates. The error
message is

Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP
5.1 (KB842773)
Error Code: 0x8007F0F1

Any help provided would be appreicated

Re: Windows Update
CrystalBall© sez...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jim wrote:
> I recently had a virus and had to reinstall Window XP and am getting an
> error message and failed windows updates when I try install updates. The
> error message is
>
> Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP
> 5.1 (KB842773)
> Error Code: 0x8007F0F1
>
> Any help provided would be appreicated

Jim

Re: Windows Update
Would I also have to perform Method 2 if 1 is not effective? Also could you
tell me which file I would have to download for Windows XP Home Edition.
Thanks again

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> CrystalBall© sez...
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Jim wrote:
> > I recently had a virus and had to reinstall Window XP and am getting an
> > error message and failed windows updates when I try install updates. The
> > error message is
> >
> > Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP
> > 5.1 (KB842773)
> > Error Code: 0x8007F0F1
> >
> > Any help provided would be appreicated

Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows Update

Jim wrote:
> Would I also have to perform Method 2 if 1 is not effective? Also
> could you tell me which file I would have to download for Windows
> XP Home Edition.

Windows XP Home is a 32bit version of Windows XP, sometimes represented by
"x86".

You only do method 2 if method 1 does not fix the problem in the last answer
you were given.

The general fix(es) for the "Windows XP will download but not install
updates" issue some people run into is (are):

First thing to try:
As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

** Second thing to try:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset
** Temporarily down (??) for internal audit. Skip this fix for now. I will
leave the link in case it comes back up.

Third thing to try:
Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Reboot.
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

Usually - method one from the first suggestion fixes the issue.
Sometimes they have to proceed to method two from the first suggestion.

Less seldom - but it does happen - only the tool from the second suggestion
will work - although the first suggestion is contained within the second in
many ways (as well as some of the third.)

And the third suggestion is there because before there was a suggestion (1)
and a suggestion (2) - the third was the best bet and worked in most cases.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Windows Update
A1. Yes.

A2. If you have to ask, download this one:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe
--
~PA Bear

Jim wrote:
> Would I also have to perform Method 2 if 1 is not effective? Also could
> you
> tell me which file I would have to download for Windows XP Home Edition.
> Thanks again
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> CrystalBall© sez...
>>
>> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
>> Microsoft
>> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
>> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Jim wrote:
>>> I recently had a virus and had to reinstall Window XP and am getting an
>>> error message and failed windows updates when I try install updates. The
>>> error message is
>>>
>>> Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and
>>> WinHTTP
>>> 5.1 (KB842773)
>>> Error Code: 0x8007F0F1
>>>
>>> Any help provided would be appreicated

Ron

RE: Windows Update
OK I have tried method 1 and it failed to fix the problem, method 2 and it
failed also(and I used the force switch), I still get the error 0x8007F0F1
when I try to install the KB 953838 update. What next.

"Jim" wrote:

> I recently had a virus and had to reinstall Window XP and am getting an error
> message and failed windows updates when I try install updates. The error
> message is
>
> Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP
> 5.1 (KB842773)
> Error Code: 0x8007F0F1
>
> Any help provided would be appreicated

Ron

RE: Windows Update
Well, I have now tried removing SP3 then removing IE7, then re-installing
IE7, and finally re-installing SP3. Only problem is when I re-install SP3 the
install process removes parts of IE7 (the icons, the user configuration, and
also removes IE7 from the Add Remove programs control panel) I even tried to
re-install IE7 after the SP3 but it didn't run properly, nor did it fix any
of the problems.

"Ron" wrote:

> OK I have tried method 1 and it failed to fix the problem, method 2 and it
> failed also(and I used the force switch), I still get the error 0x8007F0F1
> when I try to install the KB 953838 update. What next.
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>
> > I recently had a virus and had to reinstall Window XP and am getting an error
> > message and failed windows updates when I try install updates. The error
> > message is
> >
> > Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP
> > 5.1 (KB842773)
> > Error Code: 0x8007F0F1
> >
> > Any help provided would be appreicated

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Windows Update
Ron wrote:

> Well, I have now tried removing SP3 then removing IE7, then re-installing
> IE7, and finally re-installing SP3.

Try that again, only install them in the opposite order (SP3 first, then IE7).

Harry.