Re: Where is SP3?

[Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]

Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Absent any serious numerical Errors in your WindowsUpdate.log, you may be
seeing a delay caused by excessive demand on the servers ("Update is not
allowed to download due to regulation"). It can take quite a while for AU
to download a Service Pack when so many updates were released on that
month's Patch Tuesday.

You can try downloading/installing WinXP SP3 via Windows/Microsoft Update:
Understand that by doing so, you're pushing all the Automatic Updates users
further back in the queue (which may explain, at least in part, why
Automatic Updates hasn't brought them in for you yet).

Windows Update-specific newsgroup:

John wrote:
> I have Auto-update set for "Notify me but let me choose when to
> download." A month or so ago, SP3 was offered and I didn't dl it
> right away, just left the shield sitting there.
>
> About two weeks ago, I decided I had the time to install it so I
> clicked on the "Download." The shield went away and I assumed the
> update would be available for installation shortly. But two weeks
> later it still hasn't shown up.
>
> Is it normal for the SP3 update to take so long to download?
>
> Reply-to address is real
> John

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Where is SP3?
(posted from WU)

> John wrote:

>> Is it normal for the SP3 update to take so long to download?

See if you have the same symptom that I noticed.
You need to use bitsadmin.exe from a cmd window.
That utility is available from the XP Support Tools download.

So, if you find that

bitsadmin /list /allusers /verbose

shows you that a download was suspended
you could /resume it (referencing its {GUID} jobid).

Depending on how far along the download is, resuming it
may get the whole thing downloaded or it may just clear the job queue.
In the latter case though it seems to let AU/BITS start a new job normally
and possibly finish it normally. In one case that I did, a second (automatic)
retry also got into a suspended state, so I did the same /resume procedure
on that piece too. I don't know if BITS is ever told by AU to get out of
that state automatically but I didn't want to wait another month before
trying to force it along that way. ; )

BTW others I have suggested this procedure to have found that they
apparently had jobs which were not in such a clean state as the one
that I am referring to. The procedure for dealing with those is less clear.
Diana [MSFT] suggested in one case to clear the queue by deleting BITS
..dat files.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...5d9&sloc=en-us

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle