Windows Update Most Recent Problem

Wayland

Windows Update Most Recent Problem
The software is not installing. After rebooting or even completely powering
off the system there is still no change. There has to be something on your
end going on, so what's going on?

System: XP Pro, SP3
Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows Update Most Recent Problem
Wayland wrote:
> The software is not installing. After rebooting or even completely
> powering off the system there is still no change. There has to be
> something on your end going on, so what's going on?
>
> System: XP Pro, SP3

Who is in the "your" that you refer to? The people who volunteer their time
and expertise in these publically and world-wide distributed (housed on many
many servers) newsgroups? Seems the newsgroups are working fine - so I
don't think so. ;-)

If you meant Microsoft - *shrug* - their updates are distributing fine.
This newsgroup may have been created by Microsoft and depending on where you
are/how you access them - housed on a Microsoft ran server... But,
otherwise, it's just a newsgroup. They are not actively monitoring them,
etc.

Your problem is a familar one - and here is the solution I recommend to fix
your computer...

First thing to try:
As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

** Second thing to try:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset
** Temporarily down (??) for internal audit. Skip this fix for now. I will
leave the link in case it comes back up.

Third thing to try:
Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Reboot.
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

Usually - method one from the first suggestion fixes the issue.
Sometimes they have to proceed to method two from the first suggestion.

Less seldom - but it does happen - only the tool from the second suggestion
will work - although the first suggestion is contained within the second in
many ways (as well as some of the third.)

And the third suggestion is there because before there was a suggestion (1)
and a suggestion (2) - the third was the best bet and worked in most cases.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP