What am I updating?

The Kat

What am I updating?
The XP3 update landed in my auto downloads without any warnings! I tried to
install it but it failed. So I started a search to find out why. What a mess!

I followed the posted instructions for the "before you install" (why no
warning was sent with the update is beyond the comprehension of a mere
mortal). The update failed again. Same error: "access denied".

On my FIFTH attempt, I got a bit of extra information. What failed to
install were the following programs:
Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB936960)
Security Update for Microsoft Office system 2007 (KB951808)
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB954038)
Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951596)

I have XP(SP2) HOME EDITION. I use Office XP. WHY would I want security
updates for programs I do not own and have no intention of owning? I already
have the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack. The update
examined my system for over five minutes, backed up my registry, set a
restore point, but cannot tell what updates I need and DO NOT NEED?

Hello? Does anyone on your MS mountain really listen to the "stupid mortals"
that must implement your fatwas?

I now must close: MS told my system it needed to reboot after installing
NOTHING.

So I really NEED SP3? My computer doesn't think so.

Hissing,
The Kat
Shenan Stanley

Re: What am I updating?
The Kat wrote:
> The XP3 update landed in my auto downloads without any warnings! I
> tried to install it but it failed. So I started a search to find
> out why. What a mess!
>
> I followed the posted instructions for the "before you install"
> (why no warning was sent with the update is beyond the
> comprehension of a mere mortal). The update failed again. Same
> error: "access denied".
>
> On my FIFTH attempt, I got a bit of extra information. What failed
> to install were the following programs:
> Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB936960)
> Security Update for Microsoft Office system 2007 (KB951808)
> Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 1 (SP1)
> Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB954038)
> Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951596)
>
> I have XP(SP2) HOME EDITION. I use Office XP. WHY would I want
> security updates for programs I do not own and have no intention of
> owning? I already have the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack
> Service Pack. The update examined my system for over five minutes,
> backed up my registry, set a restore point, but cannot tell what
> updates I need and DO NOT NEED?
>
> Hello? Does anyone on your MS mountain really listen to the "stupid
> mortals" that must implement your fatwas?
>
> I now must close: MS told my system it needed to reboot after
> installing NOTHING.
>
> So I really NEED SP3? My computer doesn't think so.

You don't _need_ a computer - so you don't _need_ SP3 either.

Did you install the Microsoft Office Compatibility pack at some point? Or
any of the Office 2007 compatible readers (Word, Excel, Powerpoint?) Check
your "Add or Remove Programs" list for Microsoft Office 2007 stuff.

My suggestion for SP3... Cleanup (backup files, uninstall unused
applications, clear the Temporary Internet Files, full antivirus scan, full
antispyware scan, CHKDSK and DEFRAG), update hardware drivers (from each
manufacturer - not Microsoft - they undoubtedly had little to do with the
creation of your hardwatre in most if not all cases), update software with
the latest patches from each manufacturer and then download the IT Version
of SP3 (single file) and install SP3 using that file.

Information you need to do this... Below. Still have issues - the first
link gives you free direct support.

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:

Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer« 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

From PA Bear [MS MVP]:
Workarounds:

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
.. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
..
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
..
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
.. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
SP3... Method 3 of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: What am I updating?
The Kat wrote:

> On my FIFTH attempt, I got a bit of extra information. What failed to
> install were the following programs:
> Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB936960)
> Security Update for Microsoft Office system 2007 (KB951808)
> Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 1 (SP1)
> Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB954038)
> Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951596)

So it sounds as if Windows XP service pack 3 installed correctly. To confirm
this, go to the Start Menu, select Run, type "winver" (without the quote marks)
and press ENTER.

> I have XP(SP2) HOME EDITION. I use Office XP. WHY would I want security
> updates for programs I do not own and have no intention of owning? I already
> have the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack.

The Compatibility Pack includes components from Office 2007, which means your
sytem will need various Office 2007 updates.

Restart your machine and try the updates again. If they still don't work, go to
the Start Menu, select Run, type "windowsupdate.log" (without the quote marks)
and press ENTER. Copy the last hundred lines or so from this log and post them
to the newsgroup; this should give us a clue as to what might be going wrong.

Harry.